Wedding Portfolio Review
/forum/topic/1164132/0

2       end

joshua grasso
Total Posts: 352

Just cut down my crappy portfolio of 40 images down to 25 decent photographs. I believe in tight portfolios particularly when your still somewhat new and don't have tons of stellar work. I was hoping people wouldn't mind giving their opinion on ones that are good as well as ones that I should Kick to the curb. Thanks!

All of these images are from second shooting/ or shooting for friends family. Shot with 30d and sigma zooms. Ive been trying to practice as much as possible before trying to "go pro" I feel almost ready to. Just want to work on my posing and lighting for portraits a little bit next. Hopefully I can get rolling with weddings soon so I can replace this with good ones.

stevez32
Total Posts: 3047

Numbers would be extremely helpful

joshua grasso

crap sorry forgot. Will update thanks!

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 5854

stevez32 wrote:
Numbers would be extremely helpful

That shot about half way down the page is definately no good.

joshua grasso

lol yeah for sure...Numbers fixed now thanks...I said I was new right? lol

bthatton
Total Posts: 1152

I'd get rid of one of the cat shots. If you have only 25 images try not to show any duplicate content.

stevez32
Total Posts: 3047

bthatton wrote:
I'd get rid of one of the cat shots. If you have only 25 images try not to show any duplicate content.

Same for the barn shots, no need to have duplicates 10 can def. go.

Jamesbjenkins
Total Posts: 843

5 and 11 are the only ones that stand out as really good.

The rest are totally forgettable.

You need to work on consistency and nailing the contrast. Many of these suffer from a really harsh tonal curve.

ai3x
Total Posts: 2364

Ok I think before any of us can judge you need to tell us what your target is and what you're going for? Some photos say young, bright vibrant, some say older more classical. Some say lots of fun, some say more traditional.

I'm going to take a guess at younger fun. In which case:

1.Ditch
2. Ditch
3. Keep
4. Keep
5. Maybe
6. Keep
7. Keep
8. Turn to B&W
9. Ditch
10. Keep
11. Keep (might want to ditch either 10 or 11, or at least mix up in the order)
12. Ditch
13. Ditch
14. Keep
15. Loose some of the yellow and keep
16. Keep
17. Maybe
18. Keep
19. Try reprocessing, if that doesn't work ditch
20. Clone out the cross and keep
21. Maybe
22. Keep
23. Keep
24. Ditch

Hope that helps!
Alex

Ian Ivey
Total Posts: 1336

Mostly agree with Alex, except I'd get rid of 16 and move 17 to the "keep" column. You can't get rid of 1 and 2 fast enough. I'm betting #1 is a shot from your "early years," and it's really not doing you any favors.

canerino
Total Posts: 10750

Alex kind of hit on what I was going to type. By looking at this portfolio, I dont really get a sense of who you are, stylistically. It appears that you may not really know that yet (and that is OK). But there are times looking through where I'd say "YES! I see where he is going" then I get to the next image and say "NO!!!! What the hell was he thinking!?".

For me, you show a keen eye and sense of timing in some of the moments you captured: 3, 4, 6, 8, 17, 21. Not everyone can do what you did on those moments...and not everyone would think to make a portfolio out of those images. But then you have some images that everyone can do: 1, 9, 11, 13, 16, 19, 24. I get the sense that those images are in there because you think you have to put them there. I really dont think you do!

Good luck man...you have the beginnings of a promising portfolio.

andreasavd
Total Posts: 16

Ditch all but 22.
Straighten out your camera, or at least the crop.
Avoid angles that are extreme - 19 She looks stretched
#2 looks strange. What is that thing that's hanging / dangling out on the top left? Major distraction.
Create a unique "look" in your images to have it consistent. Keep processing to a minimum.

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 2206

The only one I half like is 21. TBH the rest are dire.

joshua grasso

To everyone being harsh Thanks for the honesty. I know my portfolio isn't great yet. And yes these are all from my early years so to speak. Ive done 10 weddings usually as a second shooter for someone or taking photos while at a friends wedding. I've done two for friends or family who really couldn't afford anyone good. They were very happy with my work which is great, even though I wasnt because I am studying the best and want to get there and am obviously not. I also have a lot of photos I like that are just a little too soft. So are a lot of these. Half me and half my 400 dollar glass. Im upgrading over thanksgiving finally so now I can only blame me lol.

As far as what I'm going for is I do want a very fresh fun pj style. Of course with only 10 weddings and of course the first 4 being a total void of quality lol I don't have enough good ones to choose from to make a killer portfolio. I want to though. I'd love to shoot every weekend because I know I can and will get good at this. I'm spending a lot of time as of late taking everything in I can about lighting and posing to try to get to the next level. Im at a crossroads where I know I'm close I just need practice and I have to start trying to get clients in order to do that. I know I can do a decent job but I'm not that elite level I want to be obviously. I'm going to try to start second shooting as much as possible but Im past the point of wanting to do that for free unless its for a bigshot and I don't know how much of a market there is for second shooters.

Alex and Chuck thanks alot for the detailed feedback. Very helpful. Love y'alls work too by the way. I'm working on getting to your level.
I guess the next question since I do have very few weddings to choose from maybe I should have a portfolio of 10 instead of 20? Tighter is probably better I just don't want too few hurting me if thats possible.

Thanks again guys!

svanstone9
Total Posts: 52

This is colorful and sharp. I like it.

JCLittle
Total Posts: 29

Jousha, I particularly like 15, 16 and 17. The bride more then the photos, she's stunning! Although I'm a bit partial, I'm the father of the bride. You must have been a second shooter for Julie. Seriously some good work here, some needing more practice. If you ever need a second shooter once you get started let me know, I'm ready with my D4 and some very nice glass. Good luck! Jim aka father of Amanda.

joshua grasso

Jim wow crazy small world! Must of been surprising to be flipping through and see your daughter haha. Yes julie had me help second shoot for her. It was a great wedding and very easy to get good photos of. D4 jealous. Im finally upgrading to a 5dmarkII and 24-70 2.8II So it will be fun to shoot with good gear for once. Id be open to shooting together sometime Id love to network more with local photogs since I only know julie so far lol

Jon-Mark
Total Posts: 347

I think you would benefit from tilting your camera less. A good rule of thumb I ( mostly ) adhere to is only tilting the camera if I am noticeably above or below my subject, in which case the perspective is already shifted. For example, on 18 it's okay, but on 19 it feels as if she is about to fall over.

Ziffl3
Total Posts: 4059

Another thought .... practice is not had just at weddings. Granted there is the experience factor ... but you need to work on your mental tool box ... expand the tools/technique you use throughout the wedding day/engagement session.

barrow friends - shoot families for free or almost free ... create places where you can think about what you are trying to do, shoot it and then go critique your self.

Practice in different lighting conditions ... while this is does not sound sexy and exciting ... it will up your ability come wedding day or actual shooting for pay.

canerino
Total Posts: 10750

Ziffl3 wrote:
Another thought .... practice is not had just at weddings. Granted there is the experience factor ... but you need to work on your mental tool box ... expand the tools/technique you use throughout the wedding day/engagement session.

barrow friends - shoot families for free or almost free ... create places where you can think about what you are trying to do, shoot it and then go critique your self.

Practice in different lighting conditions ... while this is does not sound sexy and exciting ... it will up your ability come wedding day or actual shooting for pay.

i dont think this could be more spot on.

i've had people tell me that they were surprised that i've only been shooting weddings for a year. but a lot of times people dont realize how utterly obsessed i was for 5 years when it came to documenting my family. there was a period of time when i was shooting every day. my evolution as a photographer came naturally and out of these experiences.

shoot everything often and you will get better.

2       end