Don't care for 85 f/1.8 g's rendering, but...
/forum/topic/1164022/0

2       end

form
Total Posts: 3869

...But...I do seem to be enjoying 35 f/1.4g's rendering. This is the first time I've actually started working on photos taken with it. It's got a different look from the 35L for sure, but appealing in its own way. It's very smooth, extremely smooth, and I somehow like it anyway.

Still don't like the 85 f/1.8g's rendering...may have to invest in 85 f/1.4g.

SloPhoto
Total Posts: 2699

I do not like the rendering on any of the 1.8g lenses.

Incredible, near flawless lenses, but they do not grab me.

Ian Ivey
Total Posts: 1336

I'd be interested to know, if you could try to put your finger on it, what specifically bothers you about the 1.8, form. And, later, to know how you think the 1.4 compares.

form

There is something about the bokeh of the 85 1.8 that I don't like. I can't put my finger on it - it's very smooth, somehow subtle...maybe something to do with the focus rolloff from the transition zone. I also don't like how it seems to lack that trait of "cat's eye" effect of smushing bokeh towards the edges/corners, so it doesn't have that look - it just looks uniformly OOF in the background. Good examples of lenses that do have that obvious cat's eye effect towards the outside are 85L and 135L (and 70-200 f/2.8L IS on the long end).

As described before, the 85L has that effect. I don't really know how the Nikon 85 1.4 performs yet...haven't tried one.

TTLKurtis
Total Posts: 9973

Form, you're entitled to your opinions and preferences but technically speaking 'cats eye bokeh' is not desirable. Ideally you want nice uniform round bokeh.

Jamesbjenkins
Total Posts: 843

TTLKurtis wrote:
Form, you're entitled to your opinions and preferences but technically speaking 'cats eye bokeh' is not desirable. Ideally you want nice uniform round bokeh.

This. To each their own, but what you're praising is technically inferior performance.

Ian Ivey
Total Posts: 1336

Maybe form is a cat, in which case his preference would be only natural. His avatar is a cat, after all.

zalmyb
Total Posts: 1635

I love me some cats eye bokeh! Uniform is boring.

Saying that, I'll probably pick up the 28 1.8 and the 50 1.8 one of these days, just for the autofocusness. I don't really shoot much longer than a 50 so the 85 doesn't really appeal to me. (and when I do shoot long, I want some ridiculously awesome bokeh. Not some neutral garbage )

TTLKurtis
Total Posts: 9973

If you want cat's eye bokeh or pentagon-bokeh get the cheapest crappiest lenses you can find and you'll more than likely be very pleased lol

zalmyb
Total Posts: 1635

woah, who mentioned pentagon bokeh. Just because they are both theoretically "flaws" doesn't make them equal.

Here's some yummy cat's eye bokeh:

I find this much more interesting and pleasing than "uniform round bokeh" (and it helps draw the eye towards the subject)

paparazzinick
Total Posts: 7405

how can you not like the 85 1.8g? its freaking amazing!!!! I got the trifecta and its the best 3 lenses I had shot together since i was on canon. 28 1.8g, 50 1.8g, 85 1.8g.

form

Yesterday, the 35 1.4g let me down totally. Not in good light...but in low light. It can't focus worth a darn in low light. Didn't matter how much contrast the subject had. My 35L focuses MUCH better in low light...on 5d2s.

Nikon has presented me with a big issue here: Bad low light focus on 35, good on 85...great dynamic range and shadow recovery with no banding...bad 85 bokeh, good 35 bokeh...and by bad bokeh I mean something I don't like the look of...

Low light AF is very important. This is a big problem.

Further, I read reviews about the 35g being great in low light AF accuracy...definitely not my experience...WTF is up with this lens?

BriMcD
Total Posts: 202

form wrote:
Yesterday, the 35 1.4g let me down totally. Not in good light...but in low light. It can't focus worth a darn in low light. Didn't matter how much contrast the subject had. My 35L focuses MUCH better in low light...on 5d2s.

Nikon has presented me with a big issue here: Bad low light focus on 35, good on 85...great dynamic range and shadow recovery with no banding...bad 85 bokeh, good 35 bokeh...and by bad bokeh I mean something I don't like the look of...

Low light AF is very important. This is a big problem.

Further, I read reviews about the 35g being great in low light AF accuracy...definitely not my experience...WTF is up with this lens?

What body are you using? I use the 35/1.4 to shoot receptions. Pretty dark and I'd say over 95% are in focus. I am using a D4.

form

D800, I can't cross check because it's my only body.

BriMcD

form wrote:

I use it on a D800 as well and haven't had an issue in low light on continual AF.

form

I think the lens is defective, I'm sending it in. 85 doesn't have this issue. When I first bought this 35, it didn't need more than +1 af adjustment to be in focus, and it was doing equally well in light and dark. Now it needs +7 or 8 for good light, and it massively Backfocuses in situations where the light is just a little low, like iso400 f1.4 1/125 shutter speed.

form

BriMcD wrote:
form wrote:

I use it on a D800 as well and haven't had an issue in low light on continual AF.

Continuous fails me for still subjects with this lens. How does af-s work for you on the 35?

BriMcD

It will. Shooting ports AF-S. moving subjects. AF-C

form

But I am having big misfocus problems with afs for still subjects with this lens.

BriMcD

Body set to shutter priority or focus priority.

2       end