24-70 f/4L IS
/forum/topic/1163952/0

Robin Usagani
Total Posts: 2850

I was about to pull the trigger on 24-70 f/2.8L II, then I saw this released. I know it is a stop slower but the IS will really help shooting something that is not really moving that much. On the top of that, the ISO capability of newer bodies are getting better and better. It looks very compact too. What do most of you wedding photographers think? The 0.7X macro capability is a huge plus too since we dont need 1:1 macro for ring shots. I can really simplify my lenses and the significant price difference to the 2.8L II making me confused what to do. I also dont like the fact this lens will be a kit lens for 6D. That means it will be harder to sell this lens for a decent price in the future. Thoughts?

canerino
Total Posts: 10664

f/4 is f/4. that can be pretty limiting in available light situations (even with the IS).

Robin Usagani

canerino wrote:
f/4 is f/4. that can be pretty limiting in available light situations (even with the IS).

Yes, so it is a stop slower but the 5DIII ISO performance is how many stops better? I guess it really depends on how good the f/4 is. Dont really want to stop it down further in low light.

DONIV
Total Posts: 281

I would just go with the 24-105L f/4 IS...it's small/lightweight/much longer range and sharp throughout the barrel. I really don't understand why anyone would go with the new 24-70 f/4 IS over the 24-105 f/4 IS. Since the 24-105 is a kit lens, you can pick those up really cheap new.

Robin Usagani

DONIV wrote:
I would just go with the 24-105L f/4 IS...it's small/lightweight/much longer range and sharp throughout the barrel. I really don't understand why anyone would go with the new 24-70 f/4 IS over the 24-105 f/4 IS. Since the 24-105 is a kit lens, you can pick those up really cheap new.

It is more compact and it can do 0.75 macro.

That Photog
Total Posts: 140

I currently use the 24-105 f/4 IS for my ceremony lens on a 5D II and have been very happy with it. I have been considering the 24-70 2.8 for next year but am not settled on giving up the extra reach.
I have other options if I need low light and rarely if ever grab them during a ceremony. I have no problems shooting a ceremony w/o flash @ ISO 1250 or so at f4.
That being said I think this new lens will be a good cheaper alternative to the 24-70 2.8 for the reasons you stated. F2.8 isn't near as needed as it used to be. Don't get caught up in the lens snob mentality. When it comes out, rent or borrow it and see if it works for you. If it works for you, use it.

MattSepeta
Total Posts: 1116

WTH.... I totally missed that one. Not sure what real world benefits that will give you over the 24-105?

I have a 24-105 I use ONLY for video, and even shooting at 1/30 shutter speeds with ISO maxed out I find f/4 to be toooo slowwww.

formula4speed
Total Posts: 1683

Even as high ISO gets better, keep in mind larger aperture lenses have an advantage for AF as well as bringing more light into the viewfinder. Both are valuable in dark situations in my opinion.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3760

A slower lens will always effect AF ability, no matter how good the camera. It simply has less light to focus with. My OLD camera doesn't have the best high ISO ability, so I often need "as fast as I can get", so to speak, but the focusing is pretty damn good, even in lowlight. But with an f4 lens I wouldn't expect much/anything from it for lowlight focusing.

ZachOly
Total Posts: 407

Interesting lens for some, but f4 is pretty limiting, especially given the price is $1500.

I also don't need IS for anything wide than 50mm as I try not to shoot slower than 1/100 for fear of motion blur.

Jon-Mark
Total Posts: 347

I don't find the DOF even shallow enough on the 24-70 2.8, wouldn't touch an f4. Plus why get it instead of the 24-105 f4 IS

amonline
Total Posts: 6890

Like Chuck said, f/4 is f/4. If that's where you shoot anyway, then by all means...

stevez32
Total Posts: 3025

When in a wedding do you capture subjects that are not moving in some way or have the potential to move at some point? For me that would represent a small minority of shots, and definitely a small percentage of shots that the couple would treasure. Plus F4? Blah.