King City Dirt Riders
/forum/topic/1163280/0

RustyBug
Total Posts: 12521

From the fundraiser for Toys For Tots ...

Bob Jarman
Total Posts: 6118

Great action shots - bikes look new!

Bob

RustyBug

Thanks Bob ... here's a few more.

oldrattler
Total Posts: 5125

Nice set, Kent... What setup did you use on these, if you do not mind sharing?? Jim

RustyBug

Thanks Jim,

1D MK II N
Sigma 100-300/4

Mostly shot @ 6.3 aperture priority, ISO 200. I tried a few at ISO 100, but the reduction in shutter speed didn't serve me very well for the proximity I was shooting from. FL was typically in the 100-150 range.

Fiddled with some other combinations, but came back to this one or 5.6 as a compromise @ DOF/compensation aid for any slight misses @ focus. I shot in servo mode, so even if I didn't have a good focus lock, it would still fire (i.e. no misfires).

That, and shooting these guys coming out of a "blind" jump didn't provide for me to get a consistent focal point / tracking motion. You just never knew what speed they were moving at as some would choose to barely leave the ground, while others would fly high.

FYI, these were mostly shot using single frame rate. Only at the end of the day did I try a few 2-3 shot bursts on high. I tend to prefer "sniper" mode than "machine gun", although, I can think of a few "sniper" shots that a second shot would have helped capture a "move" that I didn't anticipate.

Live & learn ... and a good time was had by all.

And some money was raised for a worthy cause.

oldrattler
Total Posts: 5125

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks Jim,

1D MK II N
Sigma 100-300/4

Mostly shot @ 6.3 aperture priority, ISO 200. I tried a few at ISO 100, but the reduction in shutter speed didn't serve me very well for the proximity I was shooting from. FL was typically in the 100-150 range.

Fiddled with some other combinations, but came back to this one or 5.6 as a compromise @ DOF/compensation aid for any slight misses @ focus. I shot in servo mode, so even if I didn't have a good focus lock, it would still fire (i.e. no misfires).

That, and shooting these guys coming out of a "blind" jump didn't provide for me to get a consistent focal point / tracking motion. You just never knew what speed they were moving at as some would choose to barely leave the ground, while others would fly high.

FYI, these were mostly shot using single frame rate. Only at the end of the day did I try a few 2-3 shot bursts on high. I tend to prefer "sniper" mode than "machine gun", although, I can think of a few "sniper" shots that a second shot would have helped capture a "move" that I didn't anticipate.

Live & learn ... and a good time was had by all.

And some money was raised for a worthy cause.

Thank you for the information... I sold my 1DIIn a while back and have been unable to let the frames rip since... Thank you for your post and response... Jim

ben egbert
Total Posts: 6089

Very good action shots. Well framed, exposed and sharp. I am impressed.

Rob Hickey
Total Posts: 490

Like the 3rd one, I prefer seeing the rider/bike with the ground in frame too... so I can get a sense of how high off the ground they are. Nice captures though.

sbeme
Total Posts: 17186

Enjoyable series, Kent. Looks like a great event, cause.
Nice job with the action, exposure, sharpness and with powerfully close angles.
Glad you took a stab at the third shot. The comp is great. Just wish the sharpness was there.

Scott

RustyBug

Thanks guys.

I probably need to revisit the 3rd one. It's color balance is off. Will be interesting to see how much sharpness (perceived contrast) improves if I get the color well corrected.