A dedicated Leica Forum??
/forum/topic/1162918/0

2       3       4       5       end

lovinglife
Total Posts: 2951

Anyone feel a need for a dedicated Leica forum?
Like Canon, Nikon

lovinglife

Option 3

Why do we need a dedicated forum, when we have the ":Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread " which is practically a forum by itself

slungu
Total Posts: 888

I like the Leica themes that show up here, so I like it just the way it is right now

carstenw
Total Posts: 15814

I think a whole forum doesn't make much sense. Compared to the number of Nikon and Canon owners, the number of Leica owners is diminishingly small, and the one thread contains almost all the Leica talk, apart from the inevitable comparisons to the mirrorless du jour.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2848

I prefer as is, as I also enjoy all good images shown in Zeiss, NEX, LeicaR thread and no need to go to separate forum.

However, there is one problem that whenever I have general question, problem about Leica, I have hesitation to post on Leica thread, as it is designed as img orientated and frequently contributor is not many, and most time just a image or two with no words. Once you post general question thread in open forum, it seems eventually always become Leica bash thread

Carstenw, it is not leica owners is diminishingly small, but just leica owner here in FM is diminishingly small. On that regard, put a separate forum may attract more Leica people here. As usually I find in GETDPI, leica viewer seems more than CAnikon one every time I went there.

edit: I change my mind and vote a 'yes' after the reason I listed above.

Edgars Kalnins
Total Posts: 708

I am for it. At the moment all discussions are squeezed into one thread and it is hard to find anything specific if one does not follow the thread closely. I just love to have a peak every now and then.

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7571

I tend to ask specific leica questions on rff and getdpi as this forum is more oriented at alt glass. I vote yes.

JohnJ
Total Posts: 2000

Why would you have a forum with 1 or 2 posts per day in it?

Bijltje
Total Posts: 815

Good thing would be not needing to search trough 185 pages when u need some information. But in reality the leica user forum is all I need for hardcore leica talk.

lovinglife

Should have had an option in the poll to indicate whether the voters were leica users or not..

millsart
Total Posts: 4858

JohnJ wrote:

Because apparently some Leica users don't like having to slum in this forum and share bandwidth with the likes of the Fuji's, Sony's and m4/3 cameras, not to mention the Sigma's these day.

lovinglife

millsart wrote:
JohnJ wrote:

Because apparently some Leica users don't like having to slum in this forum and share bandwidth with the likes of the Fuji's, Sony's and m4/3 cameras, not to mention the Sigma's these day.

!
Did u overlook the minor point that most Leica owners also own other brands

_julian_
Total Posts: 176

This forum already provides a good niche for people that like to mix and match components and who share an interest in more than just one manufacturer.

I'd feel silly posing a question about a combination NEX + M lens in a 'real' Leica forum like LCF or dpreview. But here, where multiple interests are catered to, it would be quite appropriate.

Should discussions about Zeiss, Voigtlander or Russian Biotar knockoffs be included or excluded in a Leica only forum even if they're M mount? I personally like having the wide ranging discussion all under the one roof.

Instead, what doesn't fit are the very general inquiries about what the best new P&S is.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3203

I like our alternative corner and I would like to keep it that way.

michaelwatkins
Total Posts: 1699

This is one of the, if not the best informed and most civilized corners of the photographic internet. Hopefully *that* doesn't change.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

An issue for Fred, obviously, so depends on his views. It arises also for Sony as that company grows ever more into new niches and of course NEX is effectively alt for many here. What is best?

It works good as is overall, and I kinda don't like the segregation which breeds fan boy behaviour and ignorance of other views and tastes and possibilities, I see this quite sharply on Dyxum which services diehard Minolta cum Sony types.

In fact it would be better again if we had more emphasis on sensors, lenses and related optical and technical matters, I don't see nearly enough from knowledgable posters like denoir, theSuede, Toothwalker, and others of that ilk. Technical consideration lies at the other end of the spectrum to narrow 'enthusiast' behaviour.

You can read about which button can be reprogrammed on a camera anywhere, so maybe product differentiation could be a good thing...and by default the best forums on the web, like the large format forums or various yahoo groups, are this way inclined. More than two cents worth from moi, I'll shut up now.

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

I kind of like how our alt forum is right now. There's a nice of mix of diversity covering different systems.

sirimiri
Total Posts: 3410

If anything, I'd prefer there to be a sub-forum for all things Zeiss.

akul
Total Posts: 1611

MIght as well create Olympus forum, Sony forum, Pentax forum, Zeiss Forum, Film Forum....etc. before it gets to Leica forum. Nuh, it does not make any sense. You need a critical mass. Alt as is gets traffic. Dividing further into small cells will just kill all of them. Cross pollination is a good thing IMHO.

helimat
Total Posts: 3745

I think a mirrorless forum would be more suitable. It seems like DSLR images and discussions are the minority nowadays in the alt forum.

2       3       4       5       end