C/Y adaptor with AF confirm that works with 1DX ?
/forum/topic/1162911/0

2       end

spdntrxi
Total Posts: 405

my old adaptor I use to use on my 5Dc.. give me Err01 on my 1dx.. contacts are clean.. just think maybe the AF module on the adaptor is a no-go.

Anyone using an adaptor that works ?

TIA
Johnny

JimBuchanan
Total Posts: 1441

The early 1 series cameras had a mechanical switch at about 11:00, that told the camera a lens is attached. If the new 1Dx camera has this switch, that is your problem.

Specifically, the Canon brand lens bayonet "ears" are squared off and trip this switch. Most adapters have rounded off bayonet ears and aren't promenent enough to reach the switch.

spdntrxi

thanks..

Fotodiox on amazon list 1d..ds etc.. anyone try ?

atleast with Amazon it would be easy to return.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20195

Yes. The 1DII and 1DsII cameras had this switch. Not the 1DsII, 1DIII, and 1DX. OTOH, you'll have to cover the pins if you want to use a 'reporting' extender/TC with an Alt lens on the front of it.

d.o.k
Total Posts: 9

I have the same problem with my chipped C/Y adapter (and some chipped M42 adapters too) with my 5D mark III.
Any good reference would be appreciated.

spdntrxi

I guess there is always Leitax, but it's alot of money....

still would like to hear other examples as well.

helimat
Total Posts: 3720

Just get a plain adapter without the chip. Leitax (although much nicer) would not be any different in that regard.

d.o.k

helimat wrote:
Just get a plain adapter without the chip.

Not very easy when you have a camera that does not provide special MF screen such as stigmometer.

d.o.k

spdntrxi wrote:

I just sent a question to the ebay seller Big_Is because he advertises his adapters as having "new feature". I asked him whether his adapters were 5DIII compatible.

ebay link to product

sxgva
Total Posts: 239

I had similar experience when I upgraded to 5DIII from 5dII. Many chipped adapters would not work with 5DIII.

You want to update the chips on the adapters. Optix V5+ and V6 have been tested to work with 5DIII. However, I'm not sure if they are compatible with 1DX. Maybe you can contact the seller(s) on ebay.

helimat
Total Posts: 3720

d.o.k wrote:
helimat wrote:
Just get a plain adapter without the chip.

Not very easy when you have a camera that does not provide special MF screen such as stigmometer.

Ah yes, I should have paid more attention, OP is using the 1Dx. That is why I kept the 5D2 when I picked up the 5D3.

sxgva

I asked happypagehk about 5DIII compatible chips when I got the camera in the spring. He said he would later get chips that would work with 5DIII. I see that he currently has a Contax-EOS adapter that works with 5DIII.

Allteamgo and shamino123 also have adapters that work with 5DIII. Allteamgo also sells the chip only. If you have adapters, with or without older chips, you can buy only the chips and send him the adapters, and he will replace/install them at no additional cost. I just sent him a bunch, and will see how fast he can turn around.

d.o.k wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:

I just sent a question to the ebay seller Big_Is because he advertises his adapters as having "new feature". I asked him whether his adapters were 5DIII compatible.

ebay link to product

d.o.k

If you're just like me, having only one adapter for one particular mount you can at least use your adapter as unchipped version simply but putting some adhesive tape on two contacts.

This way the camera can be used... but focus can only be done with a good eye. Still better than no adapter.

d.o.k

Answer received from big_is, seller on ebay :

" [...] this chip canīt work with 5D mark III , 5D mark III is a new camera, it need update the chip to use to it , it hasnīt a chip work with 5D mark III now, you could remove the chip from adapter and use the adapter without chip to your 5D mark III"

spdntrxi

thanks.. guess I go with the tape and LV with mag focus

d.o.k

Adaptors for 5D mark III seem to appear. Here's one http://cgi.ebay.fr/3nd-AF-Confirm-Contax-Yashica-CY-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-Adapter-For-5D-mark-III-650D-/370713596463?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item565040922f

I guess it works for every DIGIC5 camera, right ?
I think I'm about to buy this one, can't wait to use my Zeiss lenses on my FF.

EDIT : The seller offers other mounts too : http://stores.ebay.fr/camplus-shop/3rd-AF-Confirm-Adapter-/_i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=5D+mark+III&_fsub=575551419&_sid=654376679&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3431

I had better success using my poor eyesight than depending on chipped adapters.

sxgva

I have successfully used Optix 5+ and 6 chips on my 5DIII.

Besides AF confirmation, another good feature is that you can do focus compensation adjustment on the chip. I have used this feature on a few lenses and it works great.

AhamB
Total Posts: 4938

d.o.k wrote:
If you're just like me, having only one adapter for one particular mount you can at least use your adapter as unchipped version simply but putting some adhesive tape on two contacts.

Be careful that the tape doesn't come loose though. It could end up getting between the shutter.

d.o.k

I had better success using my poor eyesight than depending on chipped adapters.

When using the cross focus points, results are really good for me, even at f/1.8. I'm really satisfied with chipped adapters.

2       end