Padre Canyon Waterfall
/forum/topic/1162846/0

gordon l
Total Posts: 3846

Padre Canyon is not named on any map of Snow Canyon State Park, Utah. It's simply a place you can go if you know about it. I heard some things about it in our local newspaper and decided it'd be great to see during a rainstorm. The particular terrain made me believe there would be waterfalls and pools. I was not disappointed. My two daughters and I hiked up this small canyon and discovered one waterfall after another. Not all were photogenic but we had a great time discovering non-iconic gems. At the end of the morning, the rain stopped and we warmed up in the sunshine too. Please enjoy.

#1 Padre Canyon is one of the most beautiful locations inside Snow Canyon State Park. A beautiful waterfall formed during a heavy downpour.

#2 Moss and Sandstone
To get the whole sloping plane of rock in focus, I tilted my 17mm tilt-shift lens slightly. Perfect tool for the job.

#3 Climbing up above the canyon, this wider view showed the terrain

#4 Swirling pool below waterfall in a longer-exposure. Lots of photographic fun with this location.

douter
Total Posts: 10943

No.2 and 3 are my picks. The lichen on the rocks on the second adds some nice clor contrast.
Douglas

Zeph
Total Posts: 4915

Great time to be in the sandstone hills...
I like the presentation of the first, but the closeup, (#2) holds my attention the longest...

kvolk
Total Posts: 125

It sounds like a great time and I like your photos. We're you hiking on one of the trails? Sadly, Snow Canyon is very much a look but don't touch kind of a place. Last time I visited we hiked up onto the rocks a little bit and when we came down we were met by a ranger who chewed us out and threatened to ticket us for leaving the designated trail. There is so much to see that those restrictions are very limiting. I love to explore a little in places like that. Good idea to go during the rain. Dynamic scenes with saturated colors.

davidmarsh
Total Posts: 137

very nice motion with the water, nice shots

Jonathan Huynh
Total Posts: 9240

Very nice # 3 my pick

JimFox
Total Posts: 37295

Hey Gordon,

It's always cool to find these little unknown gems. My favorites are #1 and then #2.

Jim

dswiger
Total Posts: 6252

Gordon,
Numbers 1 & 2 are my favorites but they are all nice finds.
I have been on a quest to do a similar thing locally,
In many ways, more fun that the traditional icons.

Thanks for posting
Dan

gordon l

Zeph wrote:
Great time to be in the sandstone hills...
I like the presentation of the first, but the closeup, (#2) holds my attention the longest...

Thanks very much. Sounds like several liked the liken and sandstone picture. Wasn't sure if that would be liked as it is a smaller "landscape" of sorts but it was lovely to see in person. Thanks.

gordon l

kvolk wrote:
It sounds like a great time and I like your photos. We're you hiking on one of the trails? Sadly, Snow Canyon is very much a look but don't touch kind of a place. Last time I visited we hiked up onto the rocks a little bit and when we came down we were met by a ranger who chewed us out and threatened to ticket us for leaving the designated trail. There is so much to see that those restrictions are very limiting. I love to explore a little in places like that. Good idea to go during the rain. Dynamic scenes with saturated colors.

This spot is a regular trail that people can hike, but it is not maintained. It's a spur off the "Three Ponds Trail". The 3 ponds trail itself is pretty UNDERWHELMING and this one is actually much better.
The rangers probably didn't like you climbing above the campground, I'm guessing. Sorry if they are too aggressive. I've been OK and haven't had any run ins with them.

Gordon

M.P.R.
Total Posts: 199

Great photos, thanks for posting. Never heard of this place, looks like it is definitely worth a visit.

Mirza Ahmad
Total Posts: 1240

The water seems to have dried off in the 2nd and 3rd images .... :-)

First one is lovely. The sandstone looks really nice in contrast.

Mirza

Dirtyharry71
Total Posts: 1410

good job

and sounds like fun