Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift
/forum/topic/1162663/0

1
       2       end

Fred Miranda
Registered: Dec 31, 2001
Total Posts: 18132
Country: United States

We are pleased to publish this new article from Michael Kunitani (Mike K) on using external monitors to aid critical focusing and composition with Tilt and Shift lenses. Accompanied by great imagery, this article is a must read for serious landscape shooters.

Here is an excerpt from the article:
"Why use an accessory field monitor? These 4 to 7 inch monitors were developed for DSLR video use, not stills. However, for Tilt/shift use the field monitor at full image view facilitates composition at awkward viewing angles and at magnified view, can aid in fine adjustment of tilt and focus. This article covers how a high resolution external monitor can be uniquely useful in low angle T/S photography and reviews the Small HD DP6 in specific."
Read the entire article



Gunzorro
Registered: Aug 28, 2010
Total Posts: 6838
Country: United States

Nice article and examples!

I've been wondering if there are any similar options with the abundant high-rez "pads" such as iPad, Kindle, Samsung, etc. for added use as monitors for cameras.

What would it take (if possible) to mount and connect these pads for viewing? It would certainly provide a more cost-effective option.

I thought Eye-Fi might work with my Kindle Fire, but it was toooooo slow to upload, and rez was really poor. I'm sure it would need to be an HDMI output to the device, so that limits the camera models as well.



buggz2k
Registered: Mar 10, 2010
Total Posts: 1728
Country: United States

Very cool, thanks for this.
I have been toying with idea of getting one of these monitors for my 5DMkII to aide in macro work.



Sashi
Registered: Nov 12, 2004
Total Posts: 193
Country: United States

Nice article, and thanks to the author for writing and Fred for posting. Now to go research some external monitors



CarlG
Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Total Posts: 6383
Country: United States

Very nice article - much appreciated Michael (and Fred)!!



DThom
Registered: May 13, 2005
Total Posts: 81
Country: Canada

" I've been wondering if there are any similar options with the abundant high-rez "pads" such as iPad, Kindle, Samsung, etc. for added use as monitors for cameras."

You can use several Android tablets as a monitor and camera controller through the USB port.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

regards
Denis



jcolwell
Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Total Posts: 21979
Country: Canada

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1160836/0#11070908



eosfun
Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Total Posts: 2126
Country: Netherlands

The DSLR controller app via the USB port is the way I work with my Samsung Tab 10.1 since the app became available. I have advertised this more often in this forum in the past. It's a bargain solution that is very effectively. I never liked the wiring. And the special cable at a "special price" is annoying. The nice thing is, our future is wireless via WiFi for this kind of application

I can't wait to test this wireless setup with a 6D over it's WiFi and remote control app. I bet that a few studio, architect and landscape photographers are gonna appreciate the 6D more than they would have thought. Smartphone and tablets are going to be EOSfun



Gunzorro
Registered: Aug 28, 2010
Total Posts: 6838
Country: United States

I've been checking the links within the threads here regarding the other methods, and starting to get a bit confused.

Do we have a recommendation of what is the best, cheapest, simplest, most versatile product?

And do we have a product list of compatible models of cameras and Android "monitors"? I would think excellent HD resolution would be critical.

From what I'm reading this DSLR controller seems like the best bet, relying on USB connectivity (with special connector cable?), to leave the image on the camera memory card, but be able to control and view remotely, like having a laptop on site with the camera -- correct? If so, all I need to know is if it works with very good results on Kindle Fire (original) or my Droid Bionic. If so, the total cost is the connector cable and whatever the app costs, right?

(Later) I see that DSLR Controller shows under devices that 5D2 and 60D will work. Need to find out about the output connection.

I need to check into Jim's suggestion of EOS Utility to the Kindle Fire, and the connection.

The 1Ds2 would not be supported by anything, other than wifi transmission from card slot, but no LV or controller, right? (I just read that 1DS2 doesn't work with DSLR Controller -- models need LV, and seems 7D/50D are the cut-off.)



Fred Miranda
Registered: Dec 31, 2001
Total Posts: 18132
Country: United States

Gunzorro wrote:
I've been checking the links within the threads here regarding the other methods, and starting to get a bit confused.

Do we have a recommendation of what is the best, cheapest, simplest, most versatile product?

And do we have a product list of compatible models of cameras and Android "monitors"? I would think excellent HD resolution would be critical.

From what I'm reading this DSLR controller seems like the best bet, relying on USB connectivity (with special connector cable?), to leave the image on the camera memory card, but be able to control and view remotely, like having a laptop on site with the camera -- correct? If so, all I need to know is if it works with very good results on Kindle Fire (original) or my Droid Bionic. If so, the total cost is the connector cable and whatever the app costs, right?

(Later) I see that DSLR Controller shows under devices that 5D2 and 60D will work. Need to find out about the output connection.

I need to check into Jim's suggestion of EOS Utility to the Kindle Fire, and the connection.

The 1Ds2 would not be supported by anything, other than wifi transmission from card slot, but no LV or controller, right? (I just read that 1DS2 doesn't work with DSLR Controller -- models need LV, and seems 7D/50D are the cut-off.)



I have not tried the DSLR Controller app but it is still in beta / pre-release and it's not compatible with many devices.
See Android device compatibility: http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

You will need the App ($8) and the USB cable (~$4). It's potentially a great alternative.



n0b0
Registered: Sep 22, 2008
Total Posts: 5654
Country: Australia

I'm waiting for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to arrive. 5.5" HD screen with 1280 x720 resolution and a Wacom stylus. It'll be perfect for this... and it's fully compatible with that DSLR Controller app.



eosfun
Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Total Posts: 2126
Country: Netherlands

I have not tried the DSLR Controller app but it is still in beta / pre-release and it's not compatible with many devices. See Android device compatibility: http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php You will need the App ($8) and the USB cable (~$4). It's potentially a great alternative.

It's Beta for almost two years I believe, but really it's working great. I can't remember I had crashes or any kind of trouble with the apps since I use it. The USB host cable is a special connector, the one for the tablet is more expensive than for my smartphone. I can't recall exactly what I paid, but I believe it was about 30$ including the special Galaxy 10.1 adapter. Really you should give it a try. Especially since you do a lot of landscape work in the field with those TS-E lenses. I recommend to have some lighthood in the field. I made one myself from the Flip cover over my Android TAB and added some black sides with velcron tape. This keeps my tablet intact as my standard "office tool" while it can change in a few seconds into a phototool in the field.

You can see how the DSLR controller works on this youtube movie from someone having EOSfun from the same kind of setup on his small Galaxy smartphone. The Tablet is of course the better for control over the TS/E lenses because of the bigger size of the screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxvFYza6Y4



Sneakyracer
Registered: Mar 24, 2004
Total Posts: 2745
Country: United States

Great article!

The biggest problem right now with external monitors is that they lack enough resolution for critical focusing (without going to the 1:1 mode) and also the HDMI output is not that great (at least in the Canon DSLRs) but its decent enough that if the monitors were higher res it would work great for anything.

The small HD monitor looks awesome though.



burningheart
Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Total Posts: 2485
Country: Canada

This is a terrific article thanks. Being able to use the same batteries as the camera is an added bonus.



ben egbert
Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Total Posts: 7166
Country: United States

eosfun wrote:
The DSLR controller app via the USB port is the way I work with my Samsung Tab 10.1 since the app became available. I have advertised this more often in this forum in the past. It's a bargain solution that is very effectively. I never liked the wiring. And the special cable at a "special price" is annoying. The nice thing is, our future is wireless via WiFi for this kind of application

I can't wait to test this wireless setup with a 6D over it's WiFi and remote control app. I bet that a few studio, architect and landscape photographers are gonna appreciate the 6D more than they would have thought. Smartphone and tablets are going to be EOSfun


I have been looking at a 6D as a sort of bridge camera between my 1DS-mk3 and the next real studio/landscape 30+mpixel rig.

If I am not mistaken, this rig will not work well on my 1DS-mk3 with a paltry 230000 output and no HDMI.



ben egbert
Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Total Posts: 7166
Country: United States

Fred Miranda wrote:
Gunzorro wrote:
I've been checking the links within the threads here regarding the other methods, and starting to get a bit confused.

Do we have a recommendation of what is the best, cheapest, simplest, most versatile product?

And do we have a product list of compatible models of cameras and Android "monitors"? I would think excellent HD resolution would be critical.

From what I'm reading this DSLR controller seems like the best bet, relying on USB connectivity (with special connector cable?), to leave the image on the camera memory card, but be able to control and view remotely, like having a laptop on site with the camera -- correct? If so, all I need to know is if it works with very good results on Kindle Fire (original) or my Droid Bionic. If so, the total cost is the connector cable and whatever the app costs, right?

(Later) I see that DSLR Controller shows under devices that 5D2 and 60D will work. Need to find out about the output connection.

I need to check into Jim's suggestion of EOS Utility to the Kindle Fire, and the connection.

The 1Ds2 would not be supported by anything, other than wifi transmission from card slot, but no LV or controller, right? (I just read that 1DS2 doesn't work with DSLR Controller -- models need LV, and seems 7D/50D are the cut-off.)



I have not tried the DSLR Controller app but it is still in beta / pre-release and it's not compatible with many devices.
See Android device compatibility: http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

You will need the App ($8) and the USB cable (~$4). It's potentially a great alternative.


If I am not mistaken, this rig will not work well on my 1DS-mk3 with a paltry 230000 output and no HDMI.Even if it could be hooked up the poor res would hurt. I have tethered it to my laptop and still not able to get good focus.



mnapuran
Registered: Mar 31, 2004
Total Posts: 153
Country: United States

Another solution would be to mount a wireless HDMI solution and use an even larger HDMI screen

For example: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8087&CAWELAID=1329456162



Fred Miranda
Registered: Dec 31, 2001
Total Posts: 18132
Country: United States

eosfun wrote:
The DSLR controller app via the USB port is the way I work with my Samsung Tab 10.1 since the app became available. I have advertised this more often in this forum in the past. It's a bargain solution that is very effectively. I never liked the wiring. And the special cable at a "special price" is annoying. The nice thing is, our future is wireless via WiFi for this kind of application

I can't wait to test this wireless setup with a 6D over it's WiFi and remote control app. I bet that a few studio, architect and landscape photographers are gonna appreciate the 6D more than they would have thought. Smartphone and tablets are going to be EOSfun


I overlooked this new Canon App. So far it will only work with the new EOS 6D but it's likely that upcoming Canon SLRs will support wi-fi as well. The new EOS Remote App will work with Apple iOS and Android OS but tablets are not guaranteed to work. Check out this page for more info:
http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remote.aspx



Mike K
Registered: Mar 01, 2002
Total Posts: 2252
Country: United States

ben egbert wrote:

If I am not mistaken, this rig will not work well on my 1DS-mk3 with a paltry 230000 output and no HDMI.Even if it could be hooked up the poor res would hurt. I have tethered it to my laptop and still not able to get good focus.


Ben, We have covered this ground with you several times over the past few years. Since the 1Ds III doesn't have enough resolution on the LCD (0.23 MDot) and no HDMI output, no amount of external screen futzing will provide the clarity and resolution you need to for accurate TSE landscape focusing. Canon bodies from the 5DII onwards have decent HDMI output and thus can be mated to larger external displays with improved software features to aid in focusing.

For example watch the Small HD video showing how Focus Assist + tracks a subject moving towards the camera. The scene is darkened, and the white edge highlighting is amplified; I call it focus peaking on steroids. In a static landscape, the focus assist + is like a wave of white edges moving forward/backwards with the DOF.
Mike K



ben egbert
Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Total Posts: 7166
Country: United States

Mike K wrote:
ben egbert wrote:

If I am not mistaken, this rig will not work well on my 1DS-mk3 with a paltry 230000 output and no HDMI.Even if it could be hooked up the poor res would hurt. I have tethered it to my laptop and still not able to get good focus.


Ben, We have covered this ground with you several times over the past few years. Since the 1Ds III doesn't have enough resolution on the LCD (0.23 MDot) and no HDMI output, no amount of external screen futzing will provide the clarity and resolution you need to for accurate TSE landscape focusing. Canon bodies from the 5DII onwards have decent HDMI output and thus can be mated to larger external displays with improved software features to aid in focusing.

For example watch the Small HD video showing how Focus Assist + tracks a subject moving towards the camera. The scene is darkened, and the white edge highlighting is amplified; I call it focus peaking on steroids. In a static landscape, the focus assist + is like a wave of white edges moving forward/backwards with the DOF.
Mike K


Hi Mike. great article. And yes, you have covered this many times. I only bring it up because of two things. One , perhaps some new app allows connectivity even though resolution is still poor. and two to remind others of the 1DS-mk3 limits.

I still get lots of people telling me I should be able to focus using the 1ds-mk3 live view. This is probably for several reasons. One they mistakenly believe the 1DS-mk3 is as good as a 5d-mk2. or they don't use UWA and TSE type lenses. Or at least not the way you do and I would like to do.



1
       2       end