Urban 'Park'
/forum/topic/1162534/0

jtchuk
Total Posts: 31

I've been working on both of these images for a while and am starting to doubt them. Any critique and comments/tips on processing would be greatly welcome. I was hoping to convey a relatively calm feel through them.

Both were shot on a Nikon D90 with the Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 lens.

ben egbert
Total Posts: 6391

The tree in the first has lots of character, I like it. It borders on being backlit, any chance you could do this with the light at your back? Also, the more of the tree you can include without picking up unwanted stuff the better.

jtchuk

With the first one, the slight backlighting was intended to create a certain mood. But if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'll have to look closer at how the lighting is in this space but from what I remember, it's generally shaded by a few big leaf maples. Any thoughts on the second?

ben egbert

I would get closer for the second, eliminate most of the grass, the chimney at the left and the fence at the right. There is a green object behind the foliage and in front of the chimney that I would eliminate.

Back to the first, even in shade, having the light at your back might help. But if you want a backlit image, it is certainly your choice. This is just a personal opinion.

jtchuk

Thanks, Ben. Appreciate the guidance. I think I'll have to head back and reshoot the location with it in mind. These were both made for submission to a series on urban 'backspaces'. It was difficult deciding what to include and what not to here because I felt I should have some form of urban reference to appeal to the topic.

ben egbert

Glad to help, but I hope you get more guidance than mine, I am not known around here for great composition.

oldrattler
Total Posts: 5131

ben egbert wrote:
Glad to help, but I hope you get more guidance than mine, I am not known around here for great composition.

I agree with Ben, but as I have previously stated, composition is relative to desired audience... If you are after a really good "snap-shot" you have it... If after a "Fine arts audience" you need to address the rule of thirds... Similarly, what story are you telling? If the viewer must ask, you have missed the boat... Watch your background, & leading lines, as you want the viewer's eye drawn to your subject via shadows, color, lines, light, and / or composition...