Niagara revisited
/forum/topic/1162377/0

Bsmooth
Total Posts: 916

Another image from my trip a few years ago, or should I say a 3 image set.Combined in Photomatix, but very mild tonemapping, trying to get a fairly realistic look. Then used luminosity masks and tonal adjustments using Photoshop CS6.

oldrattler
Total Posts: 5125

Nice image... I took it into LR4 and added +30 Clarity & vibrance... In Nik Color efex Pro I added structure to the river and the highway leading into town... In CS5 I mask the trees, center left, and inhanced the fall colors with a -2 exposure, -5 gamma, the added saturation at +10... If you did not want us to rework your image please let me know and I will immediately remove... Jim

Camperjim
Total Posts: 1816

I don't have issues with the initial processing. The image has a realistic appearance and doesn't seem to need more work. To me the issue is composition. Having the horizon line bisecting the image rarely works. I think the image would be much better with at least halfa of the sky cropped out.

sbeme
Total Posts: 17176

I agree, it looks realistic.
Needs more of a crop to focus areas of interest.
Corrected horizon, slight adjustment for lens distortion.
Pulled back highlights, set black point.
Added slight vibrance and clarity boost.

Scott

Bsmooth
Total Posts: 916

Good the realism part is there, it was more the processing I was interested in, but that last version looks good.
But the fact its an HDR, and that it looks pretty realistic, is a good sign, at least for me, as you have said in the past that the images I had were flat looking. So I'm making progress.
BTW this was taken on the Canadian side, but you probably already know that anyways.

sbeme
Total Posts: 17176

I knew it was the Canadian side. Been there several times. But where did you shoot from? Looks pretty high up.

ben egbert
Total Posts: 6066

I liked the original as presented. Never noticed the horizon at all until it was mentioned. I would probably preserve the clouds in the original. That is probably how it looked in person.