Alternatives
/forum/topic/1162243/0

Bob Jarman
Total Posts: 6510

Not really happy with the original re-work, posting an alternative for your comparison and thoughts. Original had really bad artifacts if you look closely.

Thanks for looking - tone too heavy on #2 but more interested in your thoughts on technique.

Bob

ben egbert
Total Posts: 7033

As you know, I am not a fan of B&W, but I prefer the top one to the bottom. I don't care for the tone or the halo created around the head.

This is a great image of a beautiful girl. Half the charm is the expression and does not really need any boost that I can see. Just an old fuddy duddy here so you asked and I replied.

AuntiPode
Total Posts: 7016

Brightening the immediate surroundings dilutes the attention on the subject.

Bob Jarman

Ben and Karen,

Thanks for your help. I would used the first but close examination showed the right hand is severely distressed and I could not find a fix. Need to go back and rethink the process.

Best,

Bob

AuntiPode

You could select the hand, feather the edge and apply lens blur:

oldrattler
Total Posts: 5187

I have a self-imposed rule of never reworking the image of a child... Therefore, I will say I prefer #1... The color cast on #2 is not-pleasing to my eye... For me the image is a great family portrait and should be left as such...

AuntiPode

When I was in the portrait biz, you'd be surprise how often the first question from the mother before I even started a shoot was "can you retouch ..." (fill in the blank).

Bob Jarman

AuntiPode wrote:
You could select the hand, feather the edge and apply lens blur:

Sweet

Bob Jarman

oldrattler wrote:
I have a self-imposed rule of never reworking the image of a child... Therefore, I will say I prefer #1... The color cast on #2 is not-pleasing to my eye... For me the image is a great family portrait and should be left as such...

@Oldrattler,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, family and re-works (blemishes, wrinkles, teeth, and more weighty issues) are a risk. I've learned to tread lightly, and frankly, minimize opportunities to step into that minefield - never take captures of certain family members alone...including grand-kids or 'group' images helps deflect attention (and pain).

Bob

AuntiPode

It also helps to ask folks what they want. Of course they may tell you they don't want any photoshopping... and then complain about their wrinkles and blemishes and ask for just a little work.