Resolution needed for prints?
/forum/topic/1162064/0

brewski
Total Posts: 2

Hey guys,

So I am completely new to using digital photos to make prints, I'd like to make a print of a photo that is 100 x 100cm. I shoot with L jpeg on my Canon 7d. Is this resolution good enough for a 100 x 100cm print? Is it possible that it would be too much in anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Print noob.

khwaja
Total Posts: 529

shoot raw... raw raw raw
unless you have time/space constraints...

up sampling of 7D and its little brothers(60D/550D) can give you 60 megapixel files that can be viewed with a viewer to print distance of around 1.5-2 metres. with a good lens, proper sharpening and handling of the file

p.s if you are looking at a square format end file, will you be shooting two pictures and merging? for landscapes i would recommend that.
for portraits/fashion, shoot normally and try one like a panorama, with the tools that photoshop has, i've gotten away many times with merged portraits

redcrown
Total Posts: 759

If you square crop your 7d image it will be 3456 x 3456 pixels.

If you print that as a 100 centimeters square, you will have 87.7 pixels per inch.

Probably not enough. Scroll down here and see http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1160669

Bernie
Total Posts: 4077

It depends. I print regularly from a 12 MP Nikon D300 24 x 36" (~75 x 100 cm). From a 6 MP D70, I've printed even larger 30 x 45".

As mentioned, shoot raw and use good capture technique. In Photoshop, Bicubic works great for uprezzing. I apply in 10% increments. Some will say that you should use other products as well. By judicious noise control and sharpening, it is quite doable.

Also account for the paper you print on. Textured papers / canvas can also hide some sins.

You can also take advantage of some photographic transgressions:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1141960/0#10896835

khwaja
Total Posts: 529

if at the end of it all, you still feel the print is lacking...

ADD FILM GRAIN

that hides the rest of the sins imho...

brewski
Total Posts: 2

Hey guys, so sorry for the late late reply! Thanks for all the input, as somebody that likes to shoot portraits I want to start getting more into printing, with the earlier post, I meant 100 x 70cm.
As for the photo that I was thinking about printing, it is actually something that I would like to do for a present. Is there anybody who would be willing to do the denoising and sharpening for me this time? I'm running out of time here and I don't have a denoising program!
Thanks in advance, please send a pm if willing to do me this one favor!