Canon 24-70 MK II
/forum/topic/1161180/0

campy
Total Posts: 290

How can you tell the difference looking at the lens that it's a MK II? Is there anything on the lens taht indicates it's a MK II?

Photobufff
Total Posts: 14

It's labeled so on the front end.

spdntrxi
Total Posts: 405

it's quite different in appearance... the ring on the front will have the roman numeral II

campy

Thanks, I am going to look at a used one and want to make sure they are not trying to pass off the MK I as a MK II.

Sheldon N
Total Posts: 642

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Product-Images.aspx?Lens=787&LensComp2=0&LensComp=101

Click on the lens names under the picture to toggle back and forth.

onesickpuppy
Total Posts: 1952

The version II has a much smaller lens hood.....and in the distance window...is missing the macro scale.....and also has a locking button to the right side to keep the lens from slipping during motion

also....when you zoom...the old version hood attached to the body and when the lens zoomed out, you never saw it do it....but on the new one...the hood attaches to the end of the filter ring...so as the lens zooms out...the hood goes out with it

skibum5
Total Posts: 15167

and one extends to 24mm and one doesn't (extends to 70mm), pretty major right there

nana kofi
Total Posts: 66

and the filter size for the Mark II is 82mm, whilst the Mark I is 77mm

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1524

If anything, I think this lens looks much more similar to the 24-105L than the original 24-70L.

campy

I picked the lens up a few hours ago and it looks new as well it should considering the short time it's been out. I wasn't in the market for one but after seeing it on craigslist and what he was asking for it I could not pass it up. I was hoping to do some testing against my 24-105 to see how much sharper it is but with storm starting I will have to wait a few days. I took a few shots indoors with flash and it looks good.

onesickpuppy
Total Posts: 1952

just curious.....what did you get it for??

absolutic
Total Posts: 1073

that and 70-200 F/2.8 II caused me to sell most of my other Canon glass, it became redundant

clarkia
Total Posts: 28

absolutic wrote:
that and 70-200 F/2.8 II caused me to sell most of my other Canon glass, it became redundant

no doubt this is part of the reason Canon is charging premium prices for their zooms. i too am planning to sell a prime or two to fund the new 24-70.