Forum traffic
/forum/topic/1161038/0

2       end

MarkB1
Total Posts: 6053

Has anybody else noticed the fall off in the numbers of threads at macro and other fora in general? at the beginning of the year I though it might be the start of the season in the northern hemisphere that slowed things down but it has continued and no discernible reason for it.Even here the front page has 2 weeks threads when it used to have one or two days it was so prolific.

And more surprisingly nobody has commented on it..

Any ideas?

denis55
Total Posts: 3132

i,m new on here,as of this year so cant tell,but our season has pretty much come to an end up here.

MarkB1

Might be just the fact things change ...

LordV
Total Posts: 28183

Yes - had noticed a gradual slow down of things on the macro forum - don't know if the other rooms are similar ?

Have wondered if there is anything we could do to liven things up a bit.
eg monthly challenge
encourage more critical comments
I'm sure there's other things we could do
Brian V.

e6filmuser
Total Posts: 2185

LordV wrote:Have wondered if there is anything we could do to liven things up a bit.
I'm sure there's other things we could do.

It would be challenging to shoot subjects where you have to kneel or be prostrate on the ground.

Also, in the nothern temperate zone, it is the season of mushrooms. There are also slime moulds at most times of the year.

Not much gets done on aquatic material.

Harold

MarkB1

Here in Oz, and other international fora I use there is a marked slow down of posting. I don't go in for challenges, but others might - in fact most like to compete. If they think they have a chance.

Critical comment works for some and then there are those who are content with what they already do. Though the right comment can spur one in a direction, to do something better, however 'good' one might be considered to be.

A gradual slow down? A year ago the front page of this forum had no more than a day or two's posts, now it has 8 days posts. It may have been gradual, because I have been away a lot, but it is a huge drop off. And it's not just here.

It occurred to me recently it might have something to do with the global recession (it used to be called depression). And maybe there is a global depression (of the people, and out of work) as a result?

And then there is the time factor; if you are doing more to stand still it doesn't encourage having fun. Just a few thoughts for today.

LordV wrote:
Yes - had noticed a gradual slow down of things on the macro forum - don't know if the other rooms are similar ?

Have wondered if there is anything we could do to liven things up a bit.
eg monthly challenge
encourage more critical comments
I'm sure there's other things we could do
Brian V.

MarkB1

Go for it. Most of my shots are kneeling and bent to awkward positions for the BG as there is always something of nature in the way, even in the garden - don't want to trample the hard work it took to get it to flower.

But your ideas have merit for the Nthrn Hemisphere and maybe you should start a thread of your interest/availability and see what happens. Here is Oz we are just coming to the wet season and the native bees are only starting to show - my favourite subject. Though much smaller creatures have been in my garden for a while now - eating it up if I don't police it, cam in hand.

Something else I forgot to mention might be a cause of slow down, forum fatigue. But that is something that needs exploring, the causes and the remedies. I can say for me the pace was once an issue, too much too fast with the shallowest of commentary.

It may also be the online persona has yet to mature, the medium evolve.

Edit : I mention forum fatigue as I experienced it from doing it that way, no aspersions intended.

e6filmuser wrote:
LordV wrote:Have wondered if there is anything we could do to liven things up a bit.
I'm sure there's other things we could do.

It would be challenging to shoot subjects where you have to kneel or be prostrate on the ground.

Also, in the nothern temperate zone, it is the season of mushrooms. There are also slime moulds at most times of the year.

Not much gets done on aquatic material.

Harold

gmazza
Total Posts: 1373

I got extremely bad climate this year, with the worse drought in 40 years, this wiped the insects out. with no subjects to take pictures there is some change in interest (passed the last monts doing a lot of DIY astronomy projects)

With the return of rain I'm slowly returning to macro photography.

Besides less forum activity, noticed too reduced upload activity from my flickr macro insect photographers contacts.

rrrgpotts
Total Posts: 82

It maybe the quality of what is shown,in a good way. A friend of mine recommended me to this forum as I enjoy macro. As I dig into it I realize that I am pretty bad at it. The stuff that is posted is pretty amazing. Therefore, I will continue to check it out, but I doubt that I will be posting anything. This work is pretty inspiring and humiliating at the same time.

birdied
Total Posts: 23505

I have not posted too much lately on the macro forum. Never was in the league of the regular posters , but did enjoy the challenge and the joy of exploring new things. Always enjoy viewing and seeing what you all are up to.

I have spent some time on the Nature and Wildlife Forum. One of the things that I like, as do most, is the interaction . I find that if one participates and comments, the efforts are retuned.
For those that want to learn there are many that will take the time and make the effort to help one grow.
I am not saying that there are not those willing to educate on the macro forum, but maybe not as many and not as often.

As rrrgpotts stated above --

This work is pretty inspiring and humiliating at the same time.

I think this rings true on most of the forums here. Sometimes the difference is the participants who are willing to help bring the aspiring newcomer in.

Many of us do not feel knowledgeable enough to bring the detailed critique and commentary. The detailed commentaries and critiques by the experienced shooters are very beneficial for newcomers and those wanting to learn.

I really have benefited by many of your comments and others on the macro forum and I do appreciate all the help I was given.

However, since you noticed and asked thought I would share what my experiences have been between the 2 forums.

No aspersions are meant and I hope none are taken.

I always enjoy everyones work as they truly inspiring.

Birdie

ambrola
Total Posts: 119

I am still here, but don't post anymore. The things we have in certain areas gets boring to photograph. I think this happens to alot of guys. You get tired of looking at stink bugs, lady bugs and spiders. I don't even look at but a very few select shooters anymore because of their diverse specimens.

Julian Nell
Total Posts: 1004

The reason I have stopped posting is because my subjects have gone away, sometimes I will figure out something crafty to shoot inside but there is only so much that I can think of.

Julian

maxjan12
Total Posts: 73

A couple of comments after reviewing the responses,
I come here to get critical responses, it seems like other forums, like Flickr its hard to get someone to comment on improvement. The challenge would be nice, but for old folks like me with a couple of knee replacements it is difficult to participate in that, perhaps I should invest in a couple of leather kneepads as dalantech uses.

gmazza
Total Posts: 1373

Some of the previous top shooters, also decreased activity. This forum in particular is friendly to beginner shooters, so there are more reasons for the people doing less insect photography than previous months.

T-bone1
Total Posts: 8966

I read this forum frequently, but do not post.
The vast majority of shots are insects, and frankly, just do not appeal to me despite the amazing quality of work I see here. Sorry, but insects creep me out!. This leaves me with no room to leave comments. I'd feel like a jerk for posting my floral work, but never really leaving comments for others.
I guess that maybe a bit more diversity in subject matter would be a move in the right direction.
However, we like what we like, and you can't knock that!
I only WISH I had the skill to match that of the regulars here!
-T

Tom Hicks
Total Posts: 23155

T-bone1 wrote:
I read this forum frequently, but do not post.
The vast majority of shots are insects, and frankly, just do not appeal to me despite the amazing quality of work I see here. Sorry, but insects creep me out!. This leaves me with no room to leave comments. I'd feel like a jerk for posting my floral work, but never really leaving comments for others.
I guess that maybe a bit more diversity in subject matter would be a move in the right direction.
However, we like what we like, and you can't knock that!
I only WISH I had the skill to match that of the regulars here!
-T

T- bone , be a jerk and post your flower work, otherwise macro will end up like the nature forum and all we see are birds.

Really, post away others will follow , as far as the bugs , just tell the others what a beautiful job they did capturing the creepiness of said bug . They like that.

Tom

Kenj8246
Total Posts: 11889

For my part, I didn't post a lot to begin with and then gravitated to shooting dragons with a long lens and tube(s). It's not that I 'fell out of love' with a macro lens--still own my Nikkor 105--just found I enjoyed the standoff ability of the Bigma and tube. Getting on the ground and/or my hands and knees isn't as easy or pretty as it used to be.

Then a certain person, who shall remain nameless, got me interested in shooting film and collecting vintage cameras. It has been and still is my intent to shoot some macro on film this coming dragonfly season. Right now, as has been mentioned, the season is pretty much over up here for the things I had been shooting. Agree with Mark...it's slowed down noticeably here on the macro forum.

Kenny

M Vers
Total Posts: 10982

I can't speak for anyone else but I had an 'off' year in regards to shooting macro, let alone shooting for leisure, which is ironic considering I purchased the MP-E this year. I'm hoping next season will provide me with a bit more time for myself...in fact I'm going to ensure that it will. Still, even with a decrease in posts, I enjoyed seeing others' images, especially some of the newcomers to the site

MarkB1

Lots of different reasons for a slow down it seems, maybe even a 'seasonal' thing, seasonal of the 'soul'. My own sense of it is such things pass and we evolve in our behaviour as in our shooting technique and particular attraction or attitude. But I doubt the macro bug ever really leaves anybody who has spent the time to refine their output, it's just too interesting the never ending procession of amazing nature as bugs, and flowers.

Tom, I agree, more flowers are a good thing - and it's a real craft getting them right.

MarkB1

I use a gardeners cushion, having done it hard and fast for so long the skin was in danger of cracking, not good.

I agree, this is one of the best forums for getting good advice from experts. It's where I learned. I wasn't much for asking but more a look and see and do type. But if I see anyone actually ask for CC I give it assuming they want honest CC - some don't want it because it's not always easy to accept advice, change and move on.

Shame Dalantech (John Kimbler) doesn't show anymore, he was surely one of the best all round.

maxjan12 wrote:
A couple of comments after reviewing the responses,
I come here to get critical responses, it seems like other forums, like Flickr its hard to get someone to comment on improvement. The challenge would be nice, but for old folks like me with a couple of knee replacements it is difficult to participate in that, perhaps I should invest in a couple of leather kneepads as dalantech uses.

2       end