OHL Hockey - Soo Greyhounds
/forum/topic/1159710/0

2       end

capitalK
Total Posts: 1038

A few games in to the season and the rust is still coming off.

Any destructive criticism is appreciated.

shad0w19
Total Posts: 10

great shots. My favorite one is the first shot. What lense did you use?

dj dunzie
Total Posts: 7020

Always great having more hockey around the board...

I've seen that crimson crew a time or two!!

Keep 'em coming throughout the year!
Cheers

capitalK

Thanks for taking the time to comment, 1, 3 and 6 were taken with a 1D Mk III and the Canon 135mm f/2 L. Numbers 4 and 5 were taken with the 1D and a 300mm f/2.8 L. Number 2 was taken with the 16-35mm f/2.8 L on a 5D at about 20mm.

shad0w19
Total Posts: 10

Wow the shots taken with the canon 135mm look really great to me.

capitalK

Thanks, I have been really happy with it for hockey. It's way too long a focal length to catch basketball action under the net, though. I think an 85mm f/1.8 is in my future.

If you can get focused close on the players with the 135mm f/2 wide open the background just falls away. This shot is from last season...

capitalK

Instead of adding a new thread I will just add to this one.

RKuebel
Total Posts: 319

Great colors and sharp. Are you shooting thru the glass or a hole?
Nice work!!

Rick

capitalK

Always through the glass, unfortunately. There is only one hole at the arena and it is too small for any pro lens to see through

I shoot from up above over the glass on occasion but these are all shot at ice level.

CW100
Total Posts: 4546

excellent "thru the glass' pics

Jeff_Stapleton
Total Posts: 1100

Nice set man. I live in an area with no local/minor league hockey, and the lack of NHL is making this Dallas Stars uneasy

I actually really like #2. I'm sure others post images like this, but its a different perspective than we usually see here.

capitalK

Thanks Jeff. I live in a pretty secluded area and OHL hockey is the biggest sporting event I can cover. I would kill for some good football action here.

I find my original 5D can't keep up with the action so I keep it at my side with a 16-35mm f/2.8... still waiting for that one great hit into the boards. Here's another one if you like the wide shots...

capitalK

Here's 2 more with the 135mm f/2 L One problem with it is if you are too close there's no way to zoom back like with a 70-200mm, like in this jubo shot.

musclepics
Total Posts: 848

Just brilliant work capturing what I think is the most difficult sport to photograph due to the speed and motion!

I love how the ice is WHITE, the colours bright, but not blown out! I assume you must manually meter and WB ?

OHL hockey is awesome, I will take JR hockey over NHL any day.

capitalK

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I set WB off the used ice (not freshly groomed) and manually meter. The light is fairly even in the arena but there are a few dark spots, I rarely have to do many adjustments during a game which helps me focus on the players.

skogis
Total Posts: 165

Great shots!

capitalK

Thanks for taking the time to look, I shot 2 more games this weekend and will maybe add some more shots to the thread in the next few days.

Rick Denham
Total Posts: 2267

i am really starting to miss shooting hockey.
great shots as usual, i love the wb in your pics man

capitalK

Means a lot coming from you, Rick. These are from multiple games... I'm always amazed at what you can get out of a single game. I'm still working on that aspect, telling a story with the images.

Sorry I missed you in the Soo last summer, maybe we'll bang into each other some other time.

Rick Denham
Total Posts: 2267

probably be back up there. my buddy decided to move up there, and should have a few more weddings that way too.

2       end