Novelty and re-imagining
/forum/topic/1159101/0

AuntiPode
Total Posts: 7010

People like the visually novel. That's why I liked the first HDR image I saw, although if I saw it again today I'd probably dismiss it as bad HDR. I liked the first fish-eye image I saw, although most of them soon became trite. In another current thread about image enhancement, it occurred to that one of the advantages of post processing is the opportunity to revisit and re-imagine images - to find a bit of novelty in an image we'd previously dismissed as ho-hum. The more we develop our post-processing abilities, the more likely we are to imagine new possibilities in old images and in making new ones. As an experiment, I grabbed an image from a few years ago I'd previously ignored and did a fairly straight processing in ACR. Then I processed it in PS to re-imagine it in ways I didn't imagine images just a few years ago. How are you re-imagining images? How has your vision expanded or changed in the last few years? Do you now see things differently than you saw them before? Do you imagine a wider range of visions and interpretations?

ben egbert
Total Posts: 7020

I like the improvement here. Darker overall with much more pop.

I revisit all the time. As a general rule, my post processing improves as I learn new procedures and as my visual judgement improves. Also the software gets better.

But what I am usually attempting is to get a cleaner image. each year my sharpening gets less and less as does shadow recovery and saturation. Fewer halos, less gritty. But I do recover shadows that were not possible to do a couple years ago. This is mostly because of better recovery in ACR and the use of Topaz. Before shadow recovery tended to leave halos.

My monitor and camera are better calibrated as well.

The less I depend on my eyes the less I go overboard on post processing. My journey has been from garish to less garish.