Drobo 5D
/forum/topic/1158551/0

2       3       end

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1692

All,

I'm looking at purchasing a Drobo 5D because my desk is becoming too cluttered with mismatched external drives. I don't know anything about this system, nor have I ever owned a Drobo.

Can someone tell me about the performance/speed of the new Drobo 5D thunderbolt system compared to other thunderbolt external HDs? Will the Drobo be just as fast as any other solution if I get the fast 7200 drives?

Also, I'm on a MAC. Will it be easy for me to setup Time Machine to back up the Drobo 5D onto other externals so I can keep a backup off site?

Any feedback is appreciated, especially regarding performance. I know it's expensive, but that's not my concern.

Thanks

henryp
Total Posts: 1877

The Drobo 5D isn't out yet so I don't think you'll get too much user experience here for a while. I don't know it it'll help but the NY Times' David Pogue wrote about it today.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33649

I don't know, but according to Data Robotics and Drobo Store it's shipping date is 10/15/2012. Is it delayed or what ?

henryp
Total Posts: 1877

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I don't know, but according to Data Robotics and Drobo Store it's shipping date is 10/15/2012. Is it delayed or what ?

Our site says Oct 21st. I know it's not here today and the 15th has come and gone.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Lars Johnsson

But couldn't Drobo store sell it a week before you? That sounds normal to me. After all they make the Drobo

artsupreme

Okay thanks, I guess I'll have to wait for it to hit the streets for some reviews.

Brit-007
Total Posts: 2226

I have been using one for years and it is still running sweet. I now purchased a second one which is the network version. I use that as a secondry backup. I have gone through different drive sizes and it really is simple and easy to use. I have worked in IT so I do not worry about building but now, I just cannot be bothered to spend time on systems and therefore switched over to Mac's and using the Drobo.

They have numerous models but I think they really geared the product for media.

Lars Johnsson

Brit-007 wrote:
I have been using one for years and it is still running sweet. I now purchased a second one which is the network version. I use that as a secondry backup. I have gone through different drive sizes and it really is simple and easy to use. I have worked in IT so I do not worry about building but now, I just cannot be bothered to spend time on systems and therefore switched over to Mac's and using the Drobo.

They have numerous models but I think they really geared the product for media.

I don't belive you have been using a Drobo 5D for years The other Drobo's have I also been using for a few years

artsupreme

I'm leaning toward this 10TB kit unless you guys tell me a better way to get the drives for cheaper:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883808-REG/Drobo_10TB_5x2TB_Drobo_5D.html

From what I understand if I need more space I can just start replacing the 2TB drives with 4TB drives one by one correct?

Lars Johnsson

You just pull out one drive from the Drobo and insert the bigger drive. And you can still use it while you do all this.

artsupreme

Lars Johnsson wrote:
You just pull out one drive from the Drobo and insert the bigger drive. And you can still use it while you do all this.

Okay, so you are a happy camper with Drobo then? I'm assuming the new thunderbolt drobo will be faster than the one you are using correct?

Do you use Time Machine to back up your Drobo onto other external drives?

Lars Johnsson

Yes I like my Drobo's. And I'm sure the new one is faster. I use Drobo PC backup which is like time Machine for backup to another Drobo & External drives

artsupreme

Cool, thanks Lars.

Alan321
Total Posts: 9933

artsupreme, which Mac OSX are you using ? The Drobo 5D is supposed to need 10.7 or later and so presumably I can't use it with my 10.6.8 I really wanted to avoid upgrading my OS but I also really wanted to get a speedy Drobo. For now I remain on the rather uncomfortable fence.

You can expect the 5D to be faster than most options if only by allowing the use of an SSD in addition to the HDDs. I assume that the SSD is incorporated into the fail-safe data redundancy of the Drobo but I'm not certain.

- Alan

sjms
Total Posts: 19227

Alan321 wrote:
artsupreme, which Mac OSX are you using ? The Drobo 5D is supposed to need 10.7 or later and so presumably I can't use it with my 10.6.8 I really wanted to avoid upgrading my OS but I also really wanted to get a speedy Drobo. For now I remain on the rather uncomfortable fence.

You can expect the 5D to be faster than most options if only by allowing the use of an SSD in addition to the HDDs. I assume that the SSD is incorporated into the fail-safe data redundancy of the Drobo but I'm not certain.

- Alan

here is the full explaination
http://www.drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo-5d/index.php

looks to possibly implement intel's SRT tech of storage i/o caching. my laptop has this ability too.

dgdg
Total Posts: 2778

Lars,
Not sure I get the Drobo yet.
I have backup software which does a drive image on a schedule I set. It backs up to a single drive, but can also back up the image to any number of single drives. (When I say single, I mean as recognized by windows os). Why would I want to use the Drobo instead?

sjms

because what you have is a series of single drives that make up a whole drive array as one single volume as seen by your OS. depending on how you set it up, a single or dual individual drive fail all your data is still intact and accessable. you simply remove an insert a new drive(s) and it rebuilds/recovers the array while your data is still fully accessable. you can use varied sized drives and upgrade them on an as need basis while your data is still accessable

on a 2 drive mirror system its not worth it. after that it becomes a better option.

Sven Jeppesen
Total Posts: 2298

sjms wrote:
because what you have is a series of single drives that make up a whole drive array as one single volume as seen by your OS. depending on how you set it up, a single or dual individual drive fail all your data is still intact and accessable. you simply remove an insert a new drive(s) and it rebuilds/recovers the array while your data is still fully accessable. you can use varied sized drives and upgrade them on an as need basis while your data is still accessable

on a 2 drive mirror system its not worth it. after that it becomes a better option.

+1

peter_n
Total Posts: 854

My data archive/backup needs are modest but I'm not comfortable with systems like the Drobo. I know it's not a backup system but what happens if/when the firmware/PCB fails? Have you lost all your data or can you take the hard disks out and put them in an identical Drobo box and just have the whole thing work again?

sjms

no you haven't lost any data on a hardware failure just pop them out and slide them into a new one. and it doesn't even have to be to an identical one just one with the minimum amount of slots that you have drives for. it was as simple moving from the 4 drive bay unit to the five. slide in the four and later added the fifth.

2       3       end