Panasonic GH3
/forum/topic/1158531/0

coppertop
Total Posts: 1437

Curious... what does the Panasonic GH3 offer that the Olympus OM-D doesn't?

millsart
Total Posts: 4728

Better video, flip out and twist articulating screen rather than just flip out, debatable more comfortable grip with tradeoff of larger size and generic DSLR mini like styling

IQ should be similar I'm sure, but lack of IBIS would be a real decision factor for a lot of people I think

coppertop

The lack of IBIS is a big difference. With the firmware update giving the OMD a more quieter operation, I often forget it's there.

httivals
Total Posts: 973

I have a GH2 and an OM-D. I only recently purchased the OM-D. The image quality from the OMD is significantly better, IMHO. The highlight roll-off is much better, a substantial difference. Also, the OMD noise in shadows is much better, IMHO.

I prefer the interface/menus on the GH2.

I prefer the multi-aspect sensor of the GH2 a lot, but the GH3 does not have a multi-aspect sensor unfortunately.

I like the grip/feel better of the GH2. The OM-D with RRS grip is pretty good though.

The GH2 is better for video, so everyone says. I only use them for stills.

coppertop

Thanks... I've got the OMD and have been thinking about getting a second micro 4/3rds body.

The GH3 looked interesting but I've also thought about getting a smaller PEN series camera from Olympus.

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4411

^^ go for E-PL5.

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4411

Looks like OM-D still has the upperhand...

http://www.43rumors.com/next-gh3-versus-e-m5-comparison-at-ephotozine/

coppertop

The more I use the OMD, the more I like it. I like the GH3 but really skeptical about having two micro 4/3rd systems.

Might just sink the cash into another lens but that is still a weak point. Sure you can use legacy lenses with micro four-thirds but I would really like to see the collection of micro 4/3rd lenses grow to add more faster options.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

The GH3 looks (to me) as better WRT ergonomics but IBIS is a significant feature at low-light. If I could, I'd buy both and use the GH3 in daytime and the OM-D at night.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7465

+1. The GH-3 certainly looks a lot more comfortable to hold and to use. The buttons are better designed and the menu is probably more intuitive too. Olympus should take a close look at the ergonomics of this camera. To me it looks like a baby Canon DSLR. I may get one when the jury is out on the IQ ... and if there is still no news of the OM-Dx in the near term.

Yakim Peled wrote:
The GH3 looks (to me) as better WRT ergonomics but IBIS is a significant feature at low-light. If I could, I'd buy both and use the GH3 in daytime and the OM-D at night.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jorgen Udvang
Total Posts: 2124

I'm probably buying both, the OM-D for travel/backup and the GH3 for work. They are distinctively different and both have their strong sides, strong enough for me to consider dumping my Nikon DX gear.

corndog
Total Posts: 4070

Ah yes, clearly the GH3 will be better for work.

coppertop

Curious... any idea if the GH3's AF is better suited for wildlife or sports than the OMD?

pointbob
Total Posts: 73

httivals wrote:
I have a GH2 and an OM-D. I only recently purchased the OM-D. The image quality from the OMD is significantly better, IMHO. The highlight roll-off is much better, a substantial difference. Also, the OMD noise in shadows is much better, IMHO.

I prefer the interface/menus on the GH2.

I prefer the multi-aspect sensor of the GH2 a lot, but the GH3 does not have a multi-aspect sensor unfortunately.

I like the grip/feel better of the GH2. The OM-D with RRS grip is pretty good though.

The GH2 is better for video, so everyone says. I only use them for stills.

can you do 1080p 60fps vid on the omd?

pointbob
Total Posts: 73

kewlcanon wrote:
Looks like OM-D still has the upperhand...

http://www.43rumors.com/next-gh3-versus-e-m5-comparison-at-ephotozine/

if you look at the bottom right hand corner of both at 1600 it looks almost the same except the omd has way more noise redux and consequently looks pretty soft. the gh3 looks way shaprer but more noisey. a draw.

deadwolfbones
Total Posts: 2576

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-Lumix-GH3-Digital-Camera-Review.htm

deadwolfbones
Total Posts: 2576

And another:

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/microsystemcameras/129422/1/panasonic-lumix-gh3-review.html

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3059

Grip, hackable most likely. Bit more like dSLR. And its Panasonic from inside out. Which means different look from pics.

And AF seems pretty amazing..