Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?
/forum/topic/1158085/0

rioni
Total Posts: 537

I'm considering a Lastolite Ezybox used but have read that the ebay clones are almost identical. Does anyone have experience with these? Would it be better to go with the used Lastolite Ezybox at around $125 or a clone for around $60? I don't plan on using this all that often but I also don't want a cheapo product that will fall apart after a few uses. The softbox will be used primarily inside but also outside from time to time (needs to be portable). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

pjny
Total Posts: 142

I bought this clone 24" x 24" softbox that folds up. so far so good. perhaps the lastolite is better but bhphoto guy
recommended this cheaper one and said they were identical to lastolite one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621366-REG/Impact_EBO_0602424_Quikbox_24_x_24.html

pjny

Btw: here are some cheaper eggcrates for different sized softboxes:

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=24%22+grid

i got the 24" x 24" eggcrate.

Garry Burton
Total Posts: 622

I used 4 of the "clones" over 4 years, while they worked fine in the beginning, they all failed around i year. I now only fold them flat and not the full 'twist' to the full small configuration. Which negates the compact intent.

What fails is the clamping and spot welding on where the metal bands connect (inside the edges) which allow for the 'twisty fold' set up. Believe me, you'll spend an entire weekend trying to get the little bastard of thing back in a useable condition.

If you plan to use this type of SB constantly and are looking for long time use. I suggest the Lastolite versions as the quality is far superior. No problems after 2 years of service.

Cheers Gaz

cordellwillis
Total Posts: 5077

I've had my clones for about 3 years now (ebay). Unlike Garry, I never had a problem and I've used them regularly and toss them around a good bit. The folding is flat so it's easy to store. I don't want to take anything away from Lastolite, but highly recommend the clones.

Please note, I've never even touched a Lastolite Ezybox so I do not have a direct comparison. However, I can't see how theirs would be any better. The clones I have a sewn together very well (and tight) and the open and close without issue.

rioni
Total Posts: 537

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was thinking about trying this one since it's only $38 or so: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Softbox-For-SpeedLight-Flash-60cm-60cm-24-24-Flash-Softbox-Flash-Diffuser-US-/110748886373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c925e565

Do you have any other recommendations on ebay clones? I think I'm going to go with a cheap clone to start out with an then a Lastolite if the clone falls apart.

kenyee
Total Posts: 1526

The grids are crap (flimsy thin cloth that doesn't stay straight), but I doubt the Lastolite ones are any better...

cordellwillis

rioni wrote:...

Do you have any other recommendations on ebay clones?

My belief is that a good majority of the Chinese ebay clones are the same. I paid pretty much the same as the link you posted and as I stated, I'm thrilled with the purchase. It's not as if it's some kind of mechanical or electronic device. It's fabric and flexible rods that are well put together. It's worth it even if it does last only a couple of years.

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4131

I ordered the ephoto from amazon two boxes for less than the price of one. The quality is as good as the lasolite. i have been using them for almost 2 years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V076BS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Ronny Mills
Total Posts: 693

Adorama:

Flashpoint

pjny

BTW: The adorama and ebay ones don' t seem to have the inner baffle. The Impact Quikbox does. don't know how big a difference that makes.

cordellwillis

pjny wrote:
BTW: The adorama and ebay ones don' t seem to have the inner baffle. The Impact Quikbox does. don't know how big a difference that makes.

True. Mine didn't. No problem though; I simply use a Stofen-like diffuser on the flash which does a pretty good job of spreading the light within the softbox and reducing the center hotspot.

DigMeTX
Total Posts: 1385

The Cowboystudio boxes come with a grid:
http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-24speedlite-grill-softbox-Portable-Off-camera-Speedlites/dp/B004K33S66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350594216&sr=8-1&keywords=cowboystudio+24+softbox

I've been using the 16" one for probably a year. It has traveled around the world with me and has held up well. The weak point is the ball head that connects it to your lightstand. Mine is still holding up but you have to tighten it pretty good to keep it in position.

brad

BugLightGeek
Total Posts: 1927

wish they had ones bigger than 24inches...

BrianO
Total Posts: 8454

BugLightGeek wrote: wish they had ones bigger than 24inches...

Instead of the EZBox or clones of same, if you go with Westcott Apollo you can have your choice of 16, 28, or 50 inch squares, or 16X30 inch rectangle. (Plus the 8" Micro Apollo, but that hardly counts.)

BigIronCruiser
Total Posts: 609

Westcott has an Apollo Bundle on sale for $200. I didn't see any info saying when it ends.