Windows 8 for wedding photographers
/forum/topic/1157585/0

2       3       4       5       end

EOSDNG
Total Posts: 1026

i just switched from Mac OSX Mountain Lion after more then 10 years as a mac book pro user to a Samsung Series 9 Laptop and Windows 8. Mac OS X just got too buggy and sluggish and my Mac Book Pro died after only 19 months. Windows 8 is not so bad and it is much much faster for my Nik plugins and my whole wedding editing workflow.

Any other photographers out there who swichted back or are thinking about?

evertdoorn
Total Posts: 834

well it isn't out yet so no clue

I run a win7 workstation and I'll might upgrade that after the first round of patches and bug fixes is out. Loving OSX 10.8 on the retina macbook though...

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3659

I've not installed the 'preview' yet, I'm not too interested in putting it on my only system if it's still beta. I haven't really read into it much, but did speak to someone who was running both Windows 8 and OSX on one system who compared them. I'm just not sure if there is any benefit (having not used it as mentioned). Windows 7 seems pretty good for me... will Windows 8 be more demanding on my hardware = lower performance ? It seems to look a little different, perhaps nicer, but beyond that I don't really understand it...

EOSDNG

I am still looking for a backup software a la time machine. Any ideas?

joelconner
Total Posts: 3785

Once Win8 is released, I will see if I want to give it a try. I have been very pleased with Win7...it's been a great OS for me

EOSDNG

good to know that there are also other wedding photographers who use Windows. one might think that photographers use only macs. But this is not the case.

ZachOly
Total Posts: 358

I too just switched from 10.8 to Windows 7. I considered waiting for W8 to be released before building my workstation, but I don't see anything in W8 that I need.

Chrome and CS6 are all I use. So unless W8 will improve the performance of these programs by at least~5%+, than I won't even bother upgrading.

DigMeTX
Total Posts: 1512

EOSDNG wrote:

Check out Windows Synctoy. Probably not the same thing but it's free, easy and reliable
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Brad

spink
Total Posts: 1567

joelconner wrote:
Once Win8 is released, I will see if I want to give it a try. I have been very pleased with Win7...it's been a great OS for me

Same here...

sgtbueno
Total Posts: 512

I will not upgrade to W8 for now, I do have it running in one desktop and is really cool but must of the hardware and programs will not run on win8 yet, so continue running win7 for now, it is a pretty good system anyway.

Jon-Mark
Total Posts: 347

spink wrote:
joelconner wrote:

Same here...

Same here

My main work station is a Win 7 monster tower and I've been extremely happy with it. Bought a 15" MBP i7 last year and am planning on selling it this fall. I just can't see the value proposition in the premium for the mac anymore now that windows laptop hardware has caught up in slimness and battery life. All the software I use ( Chrome, LR, Photomechanic, PS ) are the exact same on both platforms and I'm tired of the MBP's lousy port selection and ports being too close together. It also has terrible wifi issues.

I'm not interested in a touch screen Win8 device, I just want a normal laptop, potentially an ultrabook, one that has a discreet GPU and good battery life.

EOSDNG

John Mark

same here, i also got sick of Mountai Lions bugs. Very instable. I am still very angry, that my 19 month old 13" mac book pro died so fast. Was a waste of money. The ports were really very very close together, i hardly could use 2 usb sticks at the same time.

mccallmedia
Total Posts: 382

I went the other way from PC to mac a couple years ago and I'll never look back. Been running Lion since it debuted with zero issues. Haven't tried Mountain Lion.

Gary Harfield
Total Posts: 1869

EOSDNG wrote:

Genie Timeline

cordellwillis
Total Posts: 5080

sgtbueno wrote:
I will not upgrade to W8 for now, I do have it running in one desktop and is really cool but must of the hardware and programs will not run on win8 yet, so continue running win7 for now, it is a pretty good system anyway.

Really? What programs do you find don't work in Win8 but works in Win7?
PS CS5 and 6 works
LR 3+ and 4+ works
MS Office works

sgtbueno
Total Posts: 512

yes, really, like I use Canon software to import my images form the camera, it is not supported, and many other programs that I use not related to photography and also hardware, like video cameras etc.

cordellwillis
Total Posts: 5080

For those who are worried about compatibility you should do a pre-check of software and hardware. MS has a site setup specifically for that purpose. Obviously not every application and peace of hardware is in the database but it is a very good start.

See here

Disclaimer: this does not mean the that life will be perfect if you upgrade

deepbluejh
Total Posts: 6895

Why upgrade to Windows 8 when Windows 7 does everything I need and then some?

Unless they can come up with a few VERY compelling features to make it worth the hassle of upgrading, I won't be touching it.

amonline
Total Posts: 6852

Like others, I see no reason to abandon Win7 yet. It's been rock solid.

EOSDNG

I personally find Windows 8 looks much better than Windows 7. I kind a like the metro style and the new mail app. Somethind different.

2       3       4       5       end