Buy/Sell not moving sales
/forum/topic/1157477/0

2       end

Breitling65
Total Posts: 5216

For some reason I am getting much better luck selling my last two items on POTN, is it because of FM become full of resellers looking for super cheap deals and POTN still good for photographers? Also it is free vs paid on FM. I am collecting my Buy/Sell reputation here since 2006 and very upsetting with this fact that I have to do same on POTN now. We can't point on bad economy anymore, same people buying there better ...

Side1Cincy
Total Posts: 208

I go through phases of not even looking in the Buy & Sell forums, mostly because if I'm not looking to do either, then I don't go in there...no need to tempt myself . I don't go onto POTN much, but if I'm selling stuff, it is either on here or eBay, and I'd rather give the money to Fred for a b&s subscription.

borderlight
Total Posts: 1746

is it because of FM become full of resellers looking for super cheap deals and POTN still good for photographers?

You might have to be a little more patient making deals here than before, but I would expect that concern to be a factor wherever you end up posting equipment. I think FM B&S has a much greater diversity of equipment offerings than POTN, or the Canon forum. Nobody is twisting your arm to sell equipment here. If $9-$29 is a hardship for a month or years subscription to sell equipment... and other good stuff, then either keep what you've got, or post your equipment on a free forum with much less traffic. Seriously, this FM B&S angst has been kicked around enough in the past few weeks.

trenchmonkey
Total Posts: 35097

FM's still the best, kids. There were 7 (yup, that's seven) D7K's listed for sale when I put mine up.
Priced it right (the included 'monkey settings didn't hurt) and it sold in less than an hour.
Always include PP fees and shipping, it'll usually sell before the low ballers wake up.
One needs to be realistic as to what used gear is worth. 10% off new won't cut it, try 20+

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

The monkey speaks true! Also, on POTN if you don't sell within 0.5-1 day your thread is lost forever with no bump options.

Breitling65

trenchmonkey wrote:
FM's still the best, kids. There were 7 (yup, that's seven) D7K's listed for sale when I put mine up.
Priced it right (the included 'monkey settings didn't hurt) and it sold in less than an hour.
Always include PP fees and shipping, it'll usually sell before the low ballers wake up.
One needs to be realistic as to what used gear is worth. 10% off new won't cut it, try 20+

All above is correct, but for some reason same price and other options on POTN are moving faster LATELY. FM is not auction to snitch 10C on price and we all would like to sell high and buy cheap, also I would like to deal with photographers and not resellers of equipment. I feel like we are getting lot of them on FM.

Breitling65

vsg28 wrote:
The monkey speaks true! Also, on POTN if you don't sell within 0.5-1 day your thread is lost forever with no bump options.

That is not big deal, what is actually better to bump forever as now on FM among resellers or to sell quick to your friend photographer in Chicago for example? Besides, your post is about 10 min on front page on FM and next bump will be in 12 hours. In 12 hours it looks like new post anyway. You could post same on POTN as well I believe.

DanBrown
Total Posts: 3089

What exactly do you want to see happen with the buy/sell forum? Other than just hand-wringing over what you see as the sad state of affairs in the buy/sell forum, what do you propose (other than switching to POTN)?

GC5
Total Posts: 2257

Some gear definitely seems to be moving more slowly than I would expect. C'est la vie. I've actually had better luck moving stuff on ebay and Amazon (if you are patient).

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

Breitling65 wrote:
vsg28 wrote:

That is not big deal, what is actually better to bump forever as now on FM among resellers or to sell quick to your friend photographer in Chicago for example? Besides, your post is about 10 min on front page on FM and next bump will be in 12 hours. In 12 hours it looks like new post anyway. You could post same on POTN as well I believe.

What? You are not allowed to bump or post the same item for 4 weeks on POTN. That is SO not the same as being able to bump every 12 hours.

As far as resellers go, who here is one really?

Breitling65

vsg28 wrote:
Breitling65 wrote:
vsg28 wrote:

What? You are not allowed to bump or post the same item for 4 weeks on POTN. That is SO not the same as being able to bump every 12 hours.

As far as resellers go, who here is one really?

Again that is fine as now on POTN as for me, people who need your lens or whatever will find it. What happened on FM now is just questions about getting my lens or whatever cheaper. I have strong feelings that is not real photographers but one who is getting here and selling other places.

Danpbphoto
Total Posts: 9807

Breitling65 wrote:
For some reason I am getting much better luck selling my last two items on POTN, is it because of FM become full of resellers looking for super cheap deals and POTN still good for photographers? Also it is free vs paid on FM. I am collecting my Buy/Sell reputation here since 2006 and very upsetting with this fact that I have to do same on POTN now. We can't point on bad economy anymore, same people buying there better ...

I have had zilch luck on POTN for over 8 years when I listed the exact same items there as here on FM!
(FS items or WTB).
The people on POTN looking for the exact same eqpt I am selling either don't respond to my ad or PM or buy some other POTN members eqpt at a higher price and in lesser condition!
And don't tell me "maybe it's your pricing". Cause it aint!!
I even have had endorsements from FMers' that are also members of POTN, same as me, and STILL no sales so I just quit posting there.
I have no idea as to way nor I care to speculate as to ryhme or reason..

The winners here are the many happy and satisfied customers from FM. As Will aka trenchmonkey states, I price my eqpt fairly and have had no trouble selling it in a short period of time.
I do my "homework" when posting a price also.
My last 4-5 items, had overwhelming responses here! Most sold within hours of my posting.
Dan

Breitling65

Danpbphoto wrote:
Breitling65 wrote:

I have had zilch luck on POTN for over 8 years when I listed the exact same items there as here on FM!
(FS items or WTB).
The people on POTN looking for the exact same eqpt I am selling either don't respond to my ad or PM or buy some other POTN members eqpt at a higher price and in lesser condition!
And don't tell me "maybe it's your pricing". Cause it aint!!
I even have had endorsements from FMers' that are also members of POTN, same as me, and STILL no sales so I just quit posting there.
I have no idea as to way nor I care to speculate as to ryhme or reason..

The winners here are the many happy and satisfied customers from FM. As Will aka trenchmonkey states, I price my eqpt fairly and have had no trouble selling it in a short period of time.
I do my "homework" when posting a price also.
My last 4-5 items, had overwhelming responses here! Most sold within hours of my posting.
Dan

If you will check my feedback you will see what I how many I sold on FM, it is just recent experience.

tanglefoot47
Total Posts: 14825

It's been a struggle on both for me I have never had troubles selling like the past year. I actually do better on Craigslist love local sales

tanglefoot47
Total Posts: 14825

By the way I think the poster price on his 100-400 was vary fair

Breitling65

tanglefoot47 wrote:
By the way I think the poster price on his 100-400 was vary fair

More than fair on $1500 lens it is just not enough cheap for FM

jim allison
Total Posts: 862

Mr. Monkey is correct. The problem is that most folks here DON'T realize what their items are actually WORTH. They only know what they WANT. I just sold all my Canon equipment 10 days ago without much difficulty. No, I didn't get what I wanted, but I did get what the market
would bear. Camera stores will typically give you about 1/3 to 50% of the WHOLESALE price of hard goods.Filters and bags are worth a few cents on the dollar, with possibly a few exceptions. Compare what you can get here for stuff, to what a store will pay. You will generally get at least 50% to 100% more on theB&S board! Selling on ebay is to costly to be worthy of consideration.Still,there are too many myths floating around this forum as to how certain items hold their value. If you observe prices on this board they have been in steady decline over at least the past year. Even some pros seem to be settling for less expensive gear or holding on to what they've got. The market for so called collectables hardy exists any more and disposable income is down. People are saving rather then spending the dollars they have. All of these things and more, lead to us to the fact, that we are in a buyers market. Price things right and they will sell and don't be emmotionally attached to your gear when you want to move it.

BenV
Total Posts: 7827

It definitely feels like things aren't moving the way they used to. I'm used to be able to sell gear in a day or two. My last D300 I sold took 2 weeks. It was in mint condition and at $600 I wasn't even getting offers.

However, on the flip side of the coin, while I had to sell my D300 for a staggering low price, I snatched up a D3 for an even better price. So I guess it goes both ways

GC5
Total Posts: 2257

BenV wrote:

However, on the flip side of the coin, while I had to sell my D300 for a staggering low price, I snatched up a D3 for an even better price. So I guess it goes both ways

If you are buying and selling used, it still works out. If you are buying new, you'll take it in the teeth. But retail electronics are not investment property. Anyone who thinks they are is kidding themselves badly.

Michaelparris
Total Posts: 2276

Know when to hold them, know when to fold them......

I knew that new bodies were going to come out in a couple of months and knew that I was going to get one. I also knew the market would be flooded with people trying to sell AFTER the new cameras came out. I sold early and got good money. Fastforward a couple months same camera is selling $100-$300 cheaper.....Am using my back-up until new purchase.
For everything else my motto is, "EVERYTHING will sell at the right price"

2       end