Birthplace of the American Revolution
/forum/topic/1157471/0

russdenney01
Total Posts: 714

Moved here from another forum as this is more suitable...

I was in Concord, MA today looking for a shot I thought I could so some justice.

I recently downsized/simplified by switching to an Olympus OM-D E-M5 in attempts to save some cash and, more importantly, concentrate on my photo skills like composition and seeing the shot...I am hopeful that I can capture great shots without thousands of $$$ in gear. So far, the OM-D has been a real gem...

I asked this lady if she would mind taking a seat at the table...noting that there was some nice late afternoon window light I was hoping I could harness properly. I knew I didn't have a lot of time as I did not want her to grow impatient. She was very nice...I took about 4 or 5 shots...the most I felt I could hold her up for...

I thought this ended up the best of the lot...Your comments appreciated as always.

This was taken with the 12mm f2 Olympus prime...

Russ

Bob Jarman
Total Posts: 5788

Light, textures and tones are great - perhaps others might prefer more detail from shadows - this works for me. Perfect setting for BW image. Wouldn't quibble over distortion.

Composition of diagonals - window & light, chairback, and table top integrate well to frame image where subject is the scene, not necessarily the young lady.

Did I say I like it?

Nit: some movement by young lady (blur)?

Regards,

Bob

russdenney01

Thanks Bob.

Interestingly enough, she does not look blurry in the original. Somehow, this seems to be a by-product of the downsizing I did when I exported from LR. Not sure why it did this...

Thanks for your comments...

RustyBug
Total Posts: 11975

+1 @ Bob

I'm good with the shadows dark as they are ... that's indicative of the how little light and how much that wood "eats" light in cabins like that. My biggest thing I'd like to see diff is a more somber expression on her face, her grin is a bit incongruous, but ... it's still quite nice.

Not much to not like ... nicely done.

Bob Jarman
Total Posts: 5788

russdenney01 wrote:
Thanks Bob.

Interestingly enough, she does not look blurry in the original. Somehow, this seems to be a by-product of the downsizing I did when I exported from LR. Not sure why it did this...

Thanks for your comments...

Sometimes I think I see differences in LR exported versus on-screen image. Not sure whether it is my imagination or a reality

Bob

AuntiPode
Total Posts: 6431

I like it. Might have helped the visual story if you'd have put the bowl or jug in her hand.

sbeme
Total Posts: 16748

Bob Jarman wrote:
Light, textures and tones are great - perhaps others might prefer more detail from shadows - this works for me. Perfect setting for BW image. Wouldn't quibble over distortion.

Composition of diagonals - window & light, chairback, and table top integrate well to frame image where subject is the scene, not necessarily the young lady.

+1@ Bob
And welcome to Critique!
A very strong start.

Scott

russdenney01

Thanks again to all of you for the responses and feedback. All good suggestions...

pinball_pw
Total Posts: 2450

I echo the others sentiments. I probably would have removed the coat from behind her. Everything else could have fit in with the period. Lovely tones - Paul