Angenieux 35-70mm F2.5-3.3
/forum/topic/1157374/0

dbehrens
Total Posts: 1620

I was at Diana's Baths in the White Mountains, NH this weekend and decided to use my Angenieux 35-70mm for the shoot. It was late afternoon with dark forest subdued light - but I'm happy with the lens performance. Here are some samples.
Dave

mco_970
Total Posts: 5210

Very pretty set - nice lighting for shooting water, too.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19094

Hi Dave,

Nice photos.

What do you think of the Angenieux 35-70mm ? I've seriously thought about trying to get one for a long time, as well as the Angenieux 200/2.8, but I could never bring myself to pull the trigger. They seem pretty expensive.

Cheers, Jim

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 2930

They made lens for Leica R, but they are (were) available in other mounts too. One of best zooms ever made probably. Maybe not from technical point of view, but that look is simply somethin..

Im not 100% sure, but they still make lens for movie industry I think.

dbehrens

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Dave,

Nice photos.

What do you think of the Angenieux 35-70mm ? I've seriously thought about trying to get one for a long time, as well as the Angenieux 200/2.8, but I could never bring myself to pull the trigger. They seem pretty expensive.

Cheers, Jim

Jim,
I really have not use it enough to offer an experienced opinion. Need to use it more! Mine is the Leica R mount that I shoot with Fotodiox Pro EOS adaptor. It seems well built for rugged use and it does produce pleasing warm colors. Since I also have a Leica 35-70 that is smaller I find myself using the Leica more than the Angenieux (which does not retract like the Leica). I think the Leica has a brighter IQ but the Angenieus has a more creamy bokeh, focuses about twice closer and is a better portrait lens. It does have a significant vignette at f/2.5.
Dave

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19094

dbehrens wrote:
jcolwell wrote:
Hi Dave,

Nice photos.

Cheers, Jim

Jim,
I really have not use it enough to offer an experienced opinion. Need to use it more! Mine is the Leica R mount that I shoot with Fotodiox Pro EOS adaptor. It seems well built for rugged use and it does produce pleasing warm colors. Since I also have a Leica 35-70 that is smaller I find myself using the Leica more than the Angenieux (which does not retract like the Leica). I think the Leica has a brighter IQ but the Angenieus has a more creamy bokeh, focuses about twice closer and is a better portrait lens. It does have a significant vignette at f/2.5.
Dave

Thanks Dave.

dbehrens

Here are a couple of more Angenieux pics taken earlier this summer.
Dave

timballic
Total Posts: 699

Those last two are lovely.

How good is it wide open, as that's where the Contax Zeiss 35-70 is weakest?

Also, how are you finding it for flare, which seems to be it's Achilles heel?

Prices seem high in Europe, anything from 550 to 1,200.

Elisemkii
Total Posts: 51

One of My Worst mistake.... selling this lens