First Impression: Yongnuo YN-622C vs Pixel King flash trigger
/forum/topic/1157316/0

2       end

mrmitchell
Total Posts: 59

Normally I am a lurker here, and don't feel like I have much to contribute. But lately I have been frustrated with my flash triggers. I wanted an ETTL RF trigger for outdoors, and for indoors when my speedlites are hiding in my softbox. Canon was just too expensive and I already have 4 speedlites (Canon 550ex, Sigma EF-610 super, 2 Yongnuo 565EX)

I eventually found the Pixel Kings. And, for several months, they almost worked for me. Unfortunately, they had some problems:
a) not compatible with my Canon 550EX
b) no hotshoe for a camera-mounted flash
c) quality control: had to replace intermittent transmitter...2 weeks down while I waited
d) No ETTL ratios
e) useless focusing assist beam (bright led light, often misaligned, blinds subjects)

I thought I could live with these limitations, but...I just ended up frustrated.

So, back on the internet I discovered a new trigger from Yongnuo, the YN-622C. So I ordered 4 units, along with a new Yongnuo 568EX flash for outdoor work (High-Speed Sync). They arrived from China two days ago.

WOW!! These YN-622C transceivers are amazing. They have solved all of the problems that I had with the Pixel Kings:

a) Compatible with all my flashes...work flawlessly
b) hotshoe lets me use it with on-camera flash and with my flash bracket and wired flash while still wirelessly controlling my other flashes.
c) All four units work fine. But if one fails, all can work as transmitters, so there is redundancy.
d) ETTL ratios work perfectly from both my Canon 7d and 5d Mark III with and without on-camera flash.
e) Focusing beam: Useful grid-like pattern. Functions well...better than my ST-E2. I am considering keeping it on the 5D III even when I'm not using flash...for focus-assist in those fleeting low-light moments.

Now if only they had those cute little carry bags that came with the Pixel Kings...

And the icing on the cake is that the new 568EX flash has several improvements over my 565EX flashes, apart from HSS, including improved user controls and (I think) faster recycling.

Obviously this is not a review, nor is it meant to be. But after two days with these triggers and the new flash I have been so impressed that I thought I would share my experience. These are definitely worth considering.

- Murray

outlawyer
Total Posts: 1380

Excellent. I have a couple of Y'ngo flashes, and for my uses, they work fine at a sliver of the cost of the Canon flashes upon which their designs are based.

SimonGee
Total Posts: 6

I was using rf-602 for years, stil use them as backup, still think they are awesome... In a couple of years we will all speak chinese, i tell you

r-m-g
Total Posts: 55

i'm glad to hear your positive experience - I'm thinking of getting some of these for pretty much all the reasons you've covered except that I don't have pixel kings - my current triggers are dumber so I should be even more impressed... Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

gpop
Total Posts: 1246

I just got a set of four as well. very happy with them so far, the focus assist grid is wonderful.
would be nice if they included 'feet'. my only gripe is that they showed up pre-scratched, saving me the trouble of scratching them myself. I also have a set of the pixel kings and my experience mirrors that of the OP.

edit: disregard my scratched surface complaint, turns out I'm an idiot that didn't realize they shipped with a protective sticker on.

CW100
Total Posts: 3812

mrmitchell wrote:
Normally I am a lurker here, and don't feel like I have much to contribute. But lately I have been frustrated with my flash triggers. I wanted an ETTL RF trigger for outdoors, and for indoors when my speedlites are hiding in my softbox. Canon was just too expensive and I already have 4 speedlites (Canon 550ex, Sigma EF-610 super, 2 Yongnuo 565EX)

I eventually found the Pixel Kings. And, for several months, they almost worked for me. Unfortunately, they had some problems:
a) not compatible with my Canon 550EX
b) no hotshoe for a camera-mounted flash
c) quality control: had to replace intermittent transmitter...2 weeks down while I waited
d) No ETTL ratios
e) useless focusing assist beam (bright led light, often misaligned, blinds subjects)

I thought I could live with these limitations, but...I just ended up frustrated.

So, back on the internet I discovered a new trigger from Yongnuo, the YN-622C. So I ordered 4 units, along with a new Yongnuo 568EX flash for outdoor work (High-Speed Sync). They arrived from China two days ago.

WOW!! These YN-622C transceivers are amazing. They have solved all of the problems that I had with the Pixel Kings:

a) Compatible with all my flashes...work flawlessly
b) hotshoe lets me use it with on-camera flash and with my flash bracket and wired flash while still wirelessly controlling my other flashes.
c) All four units work fine. But if one fails, all can work as transmitters, so there is redundancy.
d) ETTL ratios work perfectly from both my Canon 7d and 5d Mark III with and without on-camera flash.
e) Focusing beam: Useful grid-like pattern. Functions well...better than my ST-E2. I am considering keeping it on the 5D III even when I'm not using flash...for focus-assist in those fleeting low-light moments.

Now if only they had those cute little carry bags that came with the Pixel Kings...

And the icing on the cake is that the new 568EX flash has several improvements over my 565EX flashes, apart from HSS, including improved user controls and (I think) faster recycling.

Obviously this is not a review, nor is it meant to be. But after two days with these triggers and the new flash I have been so impressed that I thought I would share my experience. These are definitely worth considering.

- Murray

thx for the YN-622c comments

canon pants
Total Posts: 1027

You just sold me on them. I hate my rp jrx system. Great idea but poor build and not so reliable.

Will Patterson
Total Posts: 4626

Yong Nuo has gotten better and better. I have bought a couple of their wireless triggers in the past and just bought a set of 4 603C's which are just the wireless triggers (which all work as receivers OR transceivers) and they work GREAT. Never failed me at two wedding so far. I put one on my camera, then three on three strobes surrounding the dance floor with the flash pointing at the ceiling, the photos came out really nice, and you can't beat the price at $60 for four of them.

But there are times when I'd like to use ETTL, so I appreciate the review and will look a little harder at buying a set of the 622C's.

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1558

Hmm, and I just bought a used set of Phottix Odins...
Haven't really played with them yet.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11432

Any real advantages to these over cybersync for just manual usage?

I'm thinking if there is, then obviously the other benefits are just gravy. I would like to learn more about these.

Brad Jennings
Total Posts: 4

Yes. With the right compatible camera and right compatible flash, you can control the flash manually from the menu on your camera. I suggest you download the owner's manual and read what they can do. I think you will be amazed what these triggers are capable of doing. I know I was.

Here is a review on youtube that shows them at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTUuFGTHskY&feature=plcp

deepbluejh
Total Posts: 6827

RobertLynn wrote:
Any real advantages to these over cybersync for just manual usage?

I'm thinking if there is, then obviously the other benefits are just gravy. I would like to learn more about these.

You can use a shoe-mount flash on top of the transmitter in ETTL mode. That is a huge benefit.

I just ordered two sets of these to replace my Phottix Strato II triggers (which have been excellent)

RobertLynn

Wow, I am really thinking I would like to get some of these.
Maybe even the knock off ettl flash as well.

photosenior
Total Posts: 1459

What specifically didnt work while paring the Yongnuo-YN-622C with a 550ex flash? What happened?
Thanks for the input!

RobertLynn

Let me ask another odd question.
Are they silent like 580EXII or are they loud like 580EXI or like a Lumopro 160.

RobertLynn

Anyone?

RobertLynn

I think I found a downside to these units, but I'm not sure.
It looks like you wouldn't be able to use these on studio strobe, or could you use the pc sync for that?

canon pants
Total Posts: 1027

Robert
You can buy a pc sync cable to use them on studio flashes. Listed in most ebay auctions. Looks like a good product and a good deal.

RobertLynn

canon pants wrote:
Robert
You can buy a pc sync cable to use them on studio flashes. Listed in most ebay auctions. Looks like a good product and a good deal.

I was just going from the picture.
So then this pretty much replaces a cybersync

maxxevv
Total Posts: 196

Thanks for sharing. Saved me a load of agony.
Was really on the fence for a set of Pixel Kings.

2       end