Does the 6D actually have 19 AF points?
/forum/topic/1156576/0

2       end

stargazer78
Total Posts: 371

I saw this interesting piece of detective work at dpreview by someone named hpjfromdk.

It appears as though the EOS 6D may have up to 8 invisible assist points surrounding the center AF point. The AF points aren't mentioned in any of Canon's marketing literature. However, a close inspection of the 6D AF sensor chip seems to reveal their presence:

So there is a possibility that the EOS 6D may have a 19-point AF system after all. 11 selectable, 8 non-selectable, and 3 high precision with f2.8 lenses.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3833

Interesting. But wich are the three?

stargazer78

Ralph Conway wrote:
Interesting. But wich are the three?

Center AF point, and the two assist points directly above & below it. Just like the 5D2.

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4416

Canon cripples it .

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3833

kewlcanon wrote:
Canon cripples it .

Yes! Again and again ... !

skibum5
Total Posts: 16216

hmm i think i better get my 5D2 sold fast

abqnmusa
Total Posts: 2085

The 5D and 5D II had 6 assist points for AI Servo use ....

see the 5D II manual; page 80, 83,

page 198 -- custom function III-7 enables the 6 assist points

so actually 15 focus points total
-- 9 focus points plus 6 hidden assist points around the center point

skibum5
Total Posts: 16216

abqnmusa wrote:
The 5D and 5D II had 6 assist points for AI Servo use ....

see the 5D II manual; page 80, 83,

page 198 -- custom function III-7 enables the 6 assist points

so actually 15 focus points total
-- 9 focus points plus 6 hidden assist points around the center point

Yeah they do but the thought had been that the 6D had gotten rid of them, now it seems perhaps not.

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

Doesn't matter, you still have to focus and recompose.

stargazer78

n0b0 wrote:

If you're talking about all the peripheral AF points being non-cross type... then you can make the same complaint about every single Nikon DSLR out there. Including the D4 and D800.

jorkata
Total Posts: 676

stargazer78 wrote:
So there is a possibility that the EOS 6D may have a 19-point AF system after all. 11 selectable, 8 non-selectable, and 3 high precision with f2.8 lenses.

Note that this is a possible AF point mapping. It's not been confirmed by Canon.

The AF sensor, though, shows that the center AF point has been beefed up quite a bit.
So, auto focus with only the center AF point should be an improvement over the 5Dc/5DII.
Maybe more so if those hidden AF points are active all the time.

joeisayo
Total Posts: 750

Honestly I would rather have the 11 point AF system of the 6D with -3 EV center point over the 19 focus point, -1 EV of the 7D.

thw2
Total Posts: 2836

Good to know

stargazer78 wrote:
If you're talking about all the peripheral AF points being non-cross type... then you can make the same complaint about every single Nikon DSLR out there. Including the D4 and D800.

Precisely. The D600 is probably the most offensive because all the cross AF sensors are tightly clustered around the middle.

n0b0
Total Posts: 5654

stargazer78 wrote:
n0b0 wrote:

Why would I? I don't use Nikon system.

I'd rather have the 60D or even better, the 7D AF in the 6D. I could focus fine inside dark caves with the 7D so I can't see any real world advantage of that -3EV focus capability.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11537

Lordy Lordy look who's 40.

ardvorak
Total Posts: 472

What is the center point sensitivity of the 5DIII? I think I remember reading that it was -2EV?

Will the 6D's added sensitivity really translate to performance you can feel in dim lighting? My understanding is that the 5DIII is already very snappy.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11537

ardvorak wrote:
What is the center point sensitivity of the 5DIII? I think I remember reading that it was -2EV?

Will the 6D's added sensitivity really translate to performance you can feel in dim lighting? My understanding is that the 5DIII is already very snappy.

It is -2.

CW100
Total Posts: 4402

stargazer78 wrote:
I saw this interesting piece of detective work at dpreview by someone named hpjfromdk.

It appears as though the EOS 6D may have up to 8 invisible assist points surrounding the center AF point. The AF points aren't mentioned in any of Canon's marketing literature. However, a close inspection of the 6D AF sensor chip seems to reveal their presence:

extra AF points are good, even if they are invisible

bushwacker
Total Posts: 861

here's my question...

It's a fact the 6D can go up to -3V... it's a given. The -3V is this for all AF points or just the center?

Dietrich
Total Posts: 6

Just the center - all other points are specified to work from +0.5 to 18 EV.

2       end