Front focus question
/forum/topic/1156558/0

Redtail
Total Posts: 1175

I recently picked up a used 300 F4IS. It badly front focuses. When I got it a few weeks ago, I only had 2 40D bodies, but with the rebates and stuff, I also bought a brand new 7D! Yea, so lots of new toys to play with.

Last night for the first time ever I played around with the Micro focus adjustment on the 7D. I ran out of time and light, so this was a “first attempt” to play around with this feature. In limited time, although I think this may be all I need, I set the adjustment for this lens at +10 and that seemed to do the trick! I also have a 400 L f5.6 that seemed to shoot perfect with the 7D. I bought it new last year. I am using the Lens Align.

Is a +10 adjustment considered a lot? Should I keep the lens and use it with the 7D, or return it? It seems that it is a really sharp lens, but the focus is off. I don’t feel like I should need to pay to have it calibrated. I also love the size, and close focus of this lens. I think it would be a great companion to the 400.

Thanks
Bruce

jasonpatrick
Total Posts: 1277

It should be basically as sharp as your 400mm 5.6. at all distances. If a +10 does the trick, then use it and don't worry about it.

jcolwell
Total Posts: 19125

jasonpatrick wrote:
It should be basically as sharp as your 400mm 5.6. at all distances. If a +10 does the trick, then use it and don't worry about it.

+1