Softbox support for Einsteins
/forum/topic/1156266/0



Jim Quinn
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 243
Country: United States

I recall reading a thread here that mentioned hardware that allowed users to mount heavy softboxes and other light modifiers to Paul C. Buff lights, including Einsteins. But apparently I neglected to bookmark the manufacturer of this equipment. If someone here recalls that information, I'd appreciate the link. Thanks!



cineski
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 4222
Country: United States

I don't have this info, but I'd suggest using a modified speed ring that allows you to mount the ring on the light stand rather than on the Einstein. Really wish the Einstein had a built in handle on the rear to make adjusting it with bigger light mods easier.



Jim Quinn
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 243
Country: United States

Aha! I searched a bit and found the link I remembered. The mount is by Kacey Enterprises:

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=1054



cineski
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 4222
Country: United States

Huh, that's pretty neat. Pricey, though!



BrianO
Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Total Posts: 8547
Country: United States

Jerry Kacey is a pretty inventive guy who, when he sees a need, finds a way to fill it. His stuff doesn't seem too expensive to me considering the functionality.

I had to laugh at the video where he just tosses the original Buff adapter to the floor. (Anyone remember the flame wars when he and Paul were both posting here?)



Waki
Registered: Jan 02, 2012
Total Posts: 200
Country: United States

No idea of where this company is with product but you can ask them. http://wizardbrackets.com/monster-bracket-for-einstein-640/

Maybe this will help.



cineski
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 4222
Country: United States

I sure remember. I was part of a few of them. Yikes.

BrianO wrote:
Jerry Kacey is a pretty inventive guy who, when he sees a need, finds a way to fill it. His stuff doesn't seem too expensive to me considering the functionality.

I had to laugh at the video where he just tosses the original Buff adapter to the floor. (Anyone remember the flame wars when he and Paul were both posting here?)



Lovesong
Registered: Jan 29, 2008
Total Posts: 619
Country: United States

I use this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366395-REG/Photoflex_SC_B9002BR_Speed_Ring_for_Balcar.html

The side of the ring attaches to a stand (or, more often, to a swivel adapter on the grip head of my C-stand).

Way cheaper than a Kacey adapter.



dgardner
Registered: Feb 14, 2010
Total Posts: 255
Country: United States

Isn't this the adaptor that attaches to the photoflex lightbox then directly on to the Einstein?



BrianO
Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Total Posts: 8547
Country: United States

dgardner wrote: Isn't this the adaptor that attaches to the photoflex lightbox then directly on to the Einstein?

Yes. In this case, the ring then attaches to the stand, and the Einstein hangs of the ring rather than the other way around.

(I prefer the Kacey method, where the box and the strobe are supported independently, but this one is less of a strain on the wallet.)



cordellwillis
Registered: Aug 24, 2004
Total Posts: 5080
Country: United States

Lovesong wrote:
I use this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366395-REG/Photoflex_SC_B9002BR_Speed_Ring_for_Balcar.html

The side of the ring attaches to a stand (or, more often, to a swivel adapter on the grip head of my C-stand).

Way cheaper than a Kacey adapter.



Do you happen to have a photo of your setup? I can sort of visualize it, but I'm missing something...I just don't know what.



dsouzl
Registered: Oct 28, 2003
Total Posts: 1085
Country: Canada

Guys....stupid question.

I've got an Einstein. Just ordered one of these (as recommended above):

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=1054

How do I attach the above bracket to my light stand?



BrianO
Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Total Posts: 8547
Country: United States

dsouzl wrote: Guys....stupid question. I've got an Einstein. Just ordered one of these (as recommended above)... How do I attach the above bracket to my light stand?

There are (almost) no stupid questions; yours is a good one, since it's not obvious to those who haven't worked much with grip equipment.

You need to get a grip head. One side will grab the bracket and the other side will slide over the upright column of the stand.

Here's a selection of them from which to choose: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=1355&N=4102068446&srtclk=sort



dsouzl
Registered: Oct 28, 2003
Total Posts: 1085
Country: Canada

Brian...thanks so much for the info!

I've ordered an Avenger D200.

Thanks again!