Sweet revenge, feels so good.
/forum/topic/1155321/0

2       end

Kittyk
Total Posts: 4405

So last year on one of our best wedding was this UB. He was videoing (on Hi-8 1913 or so Camera) and his girlfriend was "taking care" of photo part.
She was (for UB) quite ok, except that she was using some olympus DSLR which makes about 1000 preflashes each time it takes photo, probably even for autofocusing. It was very annoying, lots of nice dance shots lost, but whatever.
Issue was with him, he was literally all the time around the couple everytime they did anything meaningful or when he seen i run somewhere to get a shot, he followed, stand in my shot and started recording. He even moved me aside at one point and on my (at that time very soft) request to GTFO he said, "so what, you get few photos lost, who cares"?

Two days ago they wrote me inquiry about their wedding. He was very excited, talked about how they loved photos from the couple, and how they "looked around anywhere but not like what they see" (they live about 300km away).

My answer was: I am very sorry UB and UBette, having still fresh memories of how you handled me and how you both behaved on the x&x's wedding I do not want to shoot your wedding. Wish you luck.

And yes, i did it for my own good feel. I know it makes no business sense and is plain stupid. My usual answer would be $defaultprice + 5000, but i was down since last evening and this made my mood better.

There is boiling pot of oil waiting for all UBs, keep your mind high and stay happy shooting our couples.

swoop
Total Posts: 1456

If it makes you happy, it's worth it.

joosay
Total Posts: 1368

Good for you! Personally, I'd probably do the same

larhouser
Total Posts: 261

So when I saw this title I clicked my mouse so fast I think I sprained my index finger (not really but there was significant enthusiasm involved in the click).

You're my hero now - just thought you should know.

brucemuir
Total Posts: 3316

wow... you really told him off

Kittyk

brucemuir wrote:

i know, was pretty weak, but in real life i am quite silent and decent girl. it was my equivalent of really f***k him off

you know when i am really angry at somebody, i just delete the nice photos i have from him where couple is not with them beating my self in chest how i showed him!

Kittyk

larhouser wrote:
So when I saw this title I clicked my mouse so fast I think I sprained my index finger (not really but there was significant enthusiasm involved in the click).

You're my hero now - just thought you should know.

thanks

tobiah
Total Posts: 1028

Unprofessional no matter how much they annoyed you.

brucemuir
Total Posts: 3316

Kittyk wrote:
brucemuir wrote:

i know, was pretty weak, but in real life i am quite silent and decent girl. it was my equivalent of really f***k him off

You would be the 1st timid German girl I've come across haha

The Ben
Total Posts: 247

everyone has an UB at weddings. I've had some that the the B&G apologized for because they knew UB was getting in my way, and I've had UBs bring Nikon D4 bodies as their P&S camera because they had way too much money and not enough sense.

I'm a firm believer that if they're in my way, I'll ask them to move. If they don't, I'll get my shot regardless... if it means I have to put on a zoom, back up and be creative with my shots. Part of being a wedding photographer is being able to overcome to obstacles to get the shot your clients are expecting and paid you for.

All that being said, if you have enough clients coming at you paying you top dollar that you can afford to tell one to go pound sand... then more power to you. But if you're a professional and want to deal with it in a professional manner, you don't let your personal feelings get in the way of your business. plain and simple.

If what you did makes you feel better and gives you closure, wonderful. But also know that there could be a backlash to doing such things in way of future clients from your best wedding.

amonline
Total Posts: 6844

I would have taken the money. lol

jmraso
Total Posts: 2415

I would have taken the wedding and would send an assistant, all backed-up by contract.

Anyway, congratulations for such a pleasure !!

Jaime

flash
Total Posts: 2193

Nicely done. It's important to feed your soul now and a again.

I do wonder if I'd have the guts to do the same.......

Gordon

tobicus
Total Posts: 1595

Hah. I understand where you're coming from.

coreymatthew
Total Posts: 111

if you really wanted to get sweet revenge, you'd take the money and do a crappy job shooting their wedding...

j/k

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3642

Wow, now you've felt the sweet revenge you'll know never to do it again... like that

Just having fun, good for you.

Kittyk

coreymatthew wrote:
if you really wanted to get sweet revenge, you'd take the money and do a crappy job shooting their wedding...

j/k

and then tell them that it was hoping there would be somebody to shoot with me...

DavidCZ
Total Posts: 1041

I am happy for you!

NathanHamler
Total Posts: 2330

I've got a "client" whom i recently shot a 50th anniversary party for (yeah, i know, but i did it against my better judgement)....anyway, one thing they wanted was a video slideshow set to music.....so i charged accordingly, and put some stuff together in iMovie for them...they're thrilled, and they love the results.....she said to me "once this gets circulated, you'll be the official photographer for Palm Isles!!" But it's been such a hassle dealing with them over email and phone, about how to view the slideshow, how to view the photos in my gallery, etc (it's all very self explanatory, but they're just old and computer illiterate), i'm SERIOUSLY considering not taking any of the business that might come as a result of this....however, i prob wont tell her "thanks, but no thanks, i dont wanna work with people like you anymore"....i'll just say i'm booked for anything that comes up....

Charles Gallo
Total Posts: 545

As I've said, I've been paid to shot, and I've UBed - but if I'm not the official, my theory is stay in your seat, stay out of the way, and if you happen to see a nice photo you can take from your seat, take it, but let the pros worry. I've actually been THANKED "we were worried when we say your camera, but you stayed out of the way" (was told that when they came for table shots - I smiled, and said 'I didn't want to Uncle Bob' - THAT got laughter)

2       end