Congrats to a great (quite small) lens!

Krosavcheg
Total Posts: 2715

Frank: Tackar..
Size was one of the factors.

Peire
Total Posts: 1402

Krosavcheg wrote:
Snagged up a 28/2.8 MMJ today. To be honest, I preferred it to ZE 28/2 I tested in a shop...but that kind of test shooting is never conclusive.
So far I really enjoy shooting it..

Excellent choice.You won't be disappointed.
My ZE 28/2 had always seemed to be a bit awkward compared to 28/2.8 Dist.

ZoneV
Total Posts: 948

Edgars Kalnins wrote:
..Lovely picture! I used to have an FD 24/1.4. Tried it on NEX, kind of soft, low contrast wide open. could be because of the many cleaning marks at the front.

Thank you!
Cleaning marks on frontlens and wideangle could be a problem.
As said I am not 100% happy with this lens - but I could not say exactly what the bad points are. I use it not very often.

Krosavcheg

Peire: thank you!! I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like 2.0 close up.
Perhaps it's like what people say - it's a difficult lens, but once you master it it will give beautiful results!

Krosavcheg

Just wanted to confirm about the CY adaptor: CY35-70 feels great with it (mind you mostly use for model photography), 35/1.4 gives somewhat soft extreme corners and produces a lot of CA in high contrast areas, and 28/2.8 is somewhat wobbly and gives horrible corners even at f8!

Now, It's either my focusing or adaptor smells..

AhamB
Total Posts: 5103

It shouldn't be difficult to get good corner sharpness with the 28/2.8 at f/8, at least that's my experience so far with my 5Dc. At f/5.6 field curvature is still an issue.

Krosavcheg

Shouldn't be affecting close up subjects though...

Krosavcheg

Sorry about resurrecting this zombie, but I have a question about Cron R 28/2.8 and its M counterpart. Does performance differ a lot? Assuming the R is v2..

carstenw
Total Posts: 16042

IIRC the 28/2.8 ASPH is much more crunchy in its rendering, i.e. it is one of the more contrasty Leica lenses. Very sharp though. Personally I preferred the 28/2 ASPH.

Cadaver
Total Posts: 517

I find the Zeiss Contax 28mm 2.8 to be sharp across the picture when stopped down to f8 or f11. Great little lens. The Nikon 28mm 2.8 AIS is a great lens for close ups.

Krosavcheg

I got 28/2.8 Ai-s actually. Mainly for Finepix S5Pro. Rather nice lens.
Carsten: you are talking zeiss 28/2?

The reason I'm asking is I got the opportunity to get an absolute mint 28/2.8 elmarit R with serial 379xxxx. (sorry called it cron by mistake earlier) for about 1100
Wondering if M counterpart is optically different considering mirrorless move (potentially)..

carstenw

No, I meant the Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2.0 ASPH. Awesome lens. The M28/2.8 is very sharp, but the rendering is not nearly as nice.

The R lens with the built-in square hood, i.e. the II version, is fantastic. 1100 seems a very good price, I would verify the price quickly on eBay and then pick it up.

naturephoto1
Total Posts: 1817

carstenw wrote:
No, I meant the Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2.0 ASPH. Awesome lens. The M28/2.8 is very sharp, but the rendering is not nearly as nice.

The R lens with the built-in square hood, i.e. the II version, is fantastic. 1100 seems a very good price, I would verify the price quickly on eBay and then pick it up.

Carsten,

That may be true about the M28mm ASPH lenses. The Summicron is also about 2X the cost: new in US is $4295 versus $2195. If the soon to be released Sony NEX FF camera plays nicely with M wide angle lenses I am leaning more toward the Elmarit in part due to cost, but also due to its tiny size and weight.

Rich

carstenw

They are both great lenses, but whereas the Elmarit is simply very competent and a bit contrasty, the Summicron is sublime, with really beautiful rendering. For the type of landscape you do (large depth of field, focus at or near infinity), you may not see a difference, so the smaller size and lower price would be welcome.

AhamB
Total Posts: 5103

Krosavcheg wrote:
Sorry about resurrecting this zombie, but I have a question about Cron R 28/2.8 and its M counterpart. Does performance differ a lot? Assuming the R is v2..

You mean Elmarit-R 28/2.8 v2. Summicron = f/2, Elmarit = f/2.8. What I've seen from the R looked beautiful to me, but that lens is way out of my budget.

I remember well how denoir/Luka described the Summicron-M 28/2 asph. Ultra saturated color rendering.

carstenw

I didn't find that the colours of the M28/2 were so saturated, but the look was definitely very rich. This lens has rendering as wonderful as the M50Lux ASPH, although more subtle.

Luka has a bunch of shots in the Leica M thread which demonstrate the look very well.

Anyway, I guess it isn't so relevant here.

Krosavcheg

Thank you for the info, guys.
Each time I get confirmation that everything is more or less subjective..

carstenw

No it isn't, the others just didn't realise yet that I am right

Krosavcheg

Can you believe, I have exactly the same problem?!

1       2       3      
       end