Fun on the shores of lake Geneva
/forum/topic/1155301/0

DavidCH
Total Posts: 31

I have been lurking on these forums for a long time, but this is the first time posting; my contribution regarding the latest discussion about these forums losing momentum. Hopefully, I can contribute something back to these forums that have taught me so much and given me a lot of inspiration...

These photos were taken as an exercise in off-camera lighting, using a couple of friends as models. I am in no way a professional photographer, but had great fun doing these as a personal project. All comments are welcome

1)

2)

3)

All photos were taken on the shores of lake Geneva (Switzerland) during sunrise a couple of weeks ago. Used a Canon 5D mkIII with the 24-105mm and a couple of speedlites with cheap radio triggers.

HawksFan66
Total Posts: 492

103 views and no comments. I like the composition of the last shot but the light on the left side of the guy's face is too hot. The second shot is well done.

DavidCH

Hey, thanks for the comment HawksFan66, much appreciated. I agree about the one side being too hot. Still some ways to go

friscoron
Total Posts: 5288

I think you did a nice job with the first two. The thing about adding light is, at least in my opinion, simply to add some punch to the shot without letting the light look unnatural. In three, just below the guy, you see the line of light vs. shadow, and as HawksFan66 already mentioned, it's way too hot. You can see the shadows from the wheel of the bike from the light on the woman, but this light is just a couple stops hotter than the ambient light and isn't jarring in the way the light on the guy is. In this situation, I probably would have lit them both with the same light on camera left, just as you used on the woman.

Steady Hand
Total Posts: 15596

Howdy,

Good to see a new poster here (welcome to posting on this forum) AND one from outside the USA is especially welcome (as I would like to see more participation from other countries).

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

Quick Comments:

I like image #1. Fresh. Nice setting. Good expression captured.

I have a Simple Suggestion: Consider cropping from below to eliminate the jetty/pier/concrete foundation for the ladder. Let the ladder be "groundless" as I think this will a bit more to the odd and mysterious nature of the image.

I like the balloon, and the way the water goes to the horizon.

The second image is nice as it is unusual (not the usual) and has a fun expression.

I think the last image is more "strobist" (flashed outside) looking and so has very little appeal to me.

I hope these comments help you.

DavidCH

Thanks a lot, Steady and Friscoron, for the very helpful advice! Much appreciated