Aurora in Calgary
/forum/topic/1155253/0

obsean
Total Posts: 47

I'm headed to Calgary on Friday and Saturday in hopes of catching the aurora. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go to better my chances of seeing it and photographing it?

Sean

LesPalenik
Total Posts: 2

On my last trip to Aurora Mine in northern Alberta, I stopped at Aurora motel in Edmonton.
Neither place was very photogenic.

Henry W
Total Posts: 6824

LMAO

obsean

Yea! That wasn't quite the tips I was hoping for

RDDave
Total Posts: 81

Hi Sean,

Take a look at this site http://www.aurorawatch.ca/ This will give you some indication if there is any activity likely and how far down the province you may see it. You might be better heading north up highway 2 to the Crossfield/Drumheller juction (about 30km) and heading east to get out of the city lights.
The Aurora can appear/disappear quite quicky.
If you want to spend some money visit The Camera Store while you in Calgary!!!!!

Thanks,

Dave

Hardcore
Total Posts: 1130

Calgary is pretty far south to see the nice aurora. You may get some green on the horizon, but like Dave said, you need to get out of the light polution.

If you making a trip to Calgary just to see aurora, you will most likely be disappointed.

Scott Stoness
Total Posts: 9866

obsean wrote:
I'm headed to Calgary on Friday and Saturday in hopes of catching the aurora. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go to better my chances of seeing it and photographing it?

Sean

Sean: I live in Calgary Calgary is a tough spot for northern lights. They have to be really strong to see them. I watch aurorawatch from U of Alberta and arora forecast from Alaska University and weather.ca (need clear nights) to find the likely times. I just looked at aurora foreast and its not predicting good opportunities. [But last night was not predicted to be good and it was ]

That said: my best locations, if the forecast is good on sky and aurora, I go to:

1) Hermitage road when its sudden, about 20km out of calgary and drive south - this is a spot where there aren't many lights

2) Drive toward Waiparus and stop at the benchlands - this is pretty good for low light.

3) And if you have lots of time, drive 3 hours west and north to Peyto lookout and get landscape and northern lights.I would only do this if the forecast was clear and the forecast for Northern lights was 4 or more on Aurora forecast at Alaska U.

4) Minnewanka Lake, just north of Banff would be a great spot too. From the dam, you can shoot north unobstructed.

If you really like Northern Lights, take a trip to Whitehorse or Yelloknkife. Even Edmonton is better.

The northern light band is centred on magnetic north. The peak areas are Fairbanks Ak, Dawson City YT, Yellowknife YT, Lynn Lake MB, etc. see http://www.gi.alaska.edu/sites/www.gi.alaska.edu/modules/local/auroraforecast/images/NorthAmerica_2.png

If you really want to see them this weekend fly to Yellowknife, if the skies are forecast to be clear.. i just checked and $500 return from Calgary.

But the clear sky forecast is better for Whitehorse.

obsean

Thanks Everyone for the replies and info. I checked the aurora watch site, as well as the gi.alaska site for the aurora forcast, and it's not looking very active for this weekend, as well as the weather forcast isn't looking all that great either. I have the ability to change my plans, and will probably head to Edmonton instead. I don't really have the time to make it up to yellowknife.
Maybe I'll have to postpone for another weekend, since the forcast is for snow. Any one got any suggestions for areas to go to in the Edmonton area that are away from the city lights?