Fee for online use of images (UK)
/forum/topic/1155059/0

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3359

A live music/wedding band agency has requested a fee per image for a couple of photos at web resolution, unbranded (ie no water mark etc). I've previously given them one for their Facebook which had a small reference in the corner (as per all my web displayed images), so they clearly want something w/o now, for the main website.

I have no idea re: ball park figure. I was given this link years ago, but they seem way off what I'd expect people to want to pay. http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?§ion=Photography&subsect=Online+use+of+photos&subsubs=All

Any suggestions?

FWIW this isn't completely OT as it was a photo taken at a wedding...

cineski
Total Posts: 4222

People either want the image for next to nothing or they intend to pay much more than you think they'd pay for it. I remember one shoot I bid $2200 for a small magazine and they acted like I was the deal of the century. Totally underbid that

lukeb
Total Posts: 1804

cineski wrote:
People either want the image for next to nothing or they intend to pay much more than you think they'd pay for it.

+1

Kittyk
Total Posts: 4405

i always act like i have no experience and ask what they would pay.
then answer like
"gosh, those are going low nowadays, but ok, $value+30% and you can have it. 30% off from next purchase."

truth is, that unless that image have value for you, be happy you sell it. Magazines have fixed price for published stuff nowadays and you will not get better deal then 30%+ (for extraordinary stuff) even if you would be Newton.

ricardovaste

Hmmmm well I certainly don't have any idea of how to approach this . I think your way will probably be best Kitty... these aren't important images to me, so if someone wants to pay something for them then I'll happily take it. I think what you suggest will be honest enough in working out what they actually want to pay.

Kittyk

ricardovaste wrote:
Hmmmm well I certainly don't have any idea of how to approach this . I think your way will probably be best Kitty... these aren't important images to me, so if someone wants to pay something for them then I'll happily take it. I think what you suggest will be honest enough in working out what they actually want to pay.

it works, well at least here in europe anyway. have been doing it for living for many years before moving to weddings.
thing is that magazines have so miserable incomes and managers want so high salaries that content never matters. Unless you have something what would be put on frontpage, or be used on nation wide ad as unique content, you get no real moneys. They have space, which equals what they pay, regardless of what it is. If you want too much, or won't sell, they dont care really. If you happen to shot something which have no real value for you or is documentary action (as in, have no value in one month) sell it for what they buy and laugh all the way to the bank. To every sold photo there is 30000000 "free" on stock database and for every photographer with income there is 30000000 who wont see a penny in their lifetime.

jofoto photo
Total Posts: 877

One year web usage 600x800 pixels 625.00, seems ok, anywhere over a monkey would do for one image.
With moral right to credit under image ie : image : www.jofoto.co.uk

Damn cameras and food are not free, if they where we could all do this for love. if your where a part timer you could just bill them for ego, I shot a band whoopiedido , think of the fame when your nearly dead

Kittyk

I can honestly say that in germany nobody would pay for year web use of image 620 pounds. bigger the magazine is, less likely they would pay for it too.
And i am sure in UK it is not much different.

ricardovaste

I got offered 7 per image