Nik acquired by Google
/forum/topic/1154993/0

2       end

geniousc
Total Posts: 1846

Sorry if this is old news but I just received a newsletter from Nik software that they have been acquired by Google.
We're in for some changes I guess for better or for worse.

Gene

BenV
Total Posts: 8158

Cool

DigMeTX
Total Posts: 1521

They claim that they are committed to keep developing and supporting their photo suites so if all is to be believed then there should be no danger of Silver Efex, Color Efex etc.. Going away.

brad

geniousc

DigMeTX wrote:
They claim that they are committed to keep developing and supporting their photo suites so if all is to be believed then there should be no danger of Silver Efex, Color Efex etc.. Going away.

brad

Well, that's for now anyway

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4169

We shall see how this pans out. I would be mostly interested in Capture Nx2 future support and releases

geniousc

The announcement.

Last month, Google's Senior VP, Engineering Vic Gundotra announced the acquisition of Nik Software with this post on his Google + page:

"Today I'm excited to welcome Nik Software to the Google family! We want to help our users create photos they absolutely love, and in our experience Nik does this better than anyone."

In a subsequent post, Gundotra confirmed his support for our professional tools:

"I also want to make something clear: we're going to continue offering and improving Nik's high-end tools and plug-ins. Professionals across the globe use Nik to create the perfect moment in their photographs, and we care deeply about their artistry. Together with Nik, we'll continue to put 'photography first'."

Here at Nik, we've always aspired to share our passion for photography with everyone. Now with Google's support we hope to be able to help many millions more people create awesome pictures.

Service and support for Nik's plug-ins will continue to be provided by the same representatives that have been previously serving you. For questions and support, please click here.

williamkazak
Total Posts: 6326

Sounds great.

Elan II
Total Posts: 957

The last example of Google buying a retail software company I know of was the purchase of SketchUp, a 3D modeling program. They needed a part of the technology for Goggle Earth and it was probably cheaper to buy the company than to endlessly pay for license rights. Development continued, the price of the pro version came down, and a feature rich freeware version was released. So overall, the consumer came out ahead. The business model worked out well, too, because during their stewardship of SketchUp, it became a mainstream architectural modeling tool. It was not previously.

I'm guessing Nik was purchased for similar reasons. Hopefully the outcome will be similar as well.

lukeb
Total Posts: 1859

Betcha they buy Smugmug or Zenfolio. Either would be a perfect tie-in.

Kerry Pierce
Total Posts: 3622

Bruce Sawle wrote:
We shall see how this pans out. I would be mostly interested in Capture Nx2 future support and releases

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that Nik has control over any of the NX2 products. AFAIK, Nikon only used them for a few of the features, like the control point technology, and that they have their own software dept that is continuing development of NX2 and ViewNX. So, this sale shouldn't have any impact, of magnitude, on future releases. How the sale will affect the features that Nik has already done, is not known. IOW, I haven't heard whether or not those features are on a license basis or if Nikon owns them outright.

Kerry

ecidi
Total Posts: 2099

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Bruce Sawle wrote:

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that Nik has control over any of the NX2 products. AFAIK, Nikon only used them for a few of the features, like the control point technology, and that they have their own software dept that is continuing development of NX2 and ViewNX. So, this sale shouldn't have any impact, of magnitude, on future releases. How the sale will affect the features that Nik has already done, is not known. IOW, I haven't heard whether or not those features are on a license basis or if Nikon owns them outright.

Kerry

I agree. Capture NX2 and View NX2 belongs to Nikon. Although Nik Software and Nikon engineers collaborated in creating the software.

chez
Total Posts: 8039

Elan II wrote:
The last example of Google buying a retail software company I know of was the purchase of SketchUp, a 3D modeling program. They needed a part of the technology for Goggle Earth and it was probably cheaper to buy the company than to endlessly pay for license rights. Development continued, the price of the pro version came down, and a feature rich freeware version was released. So overall, the consumer came out ahead. The business model worked out well, too, because during their stewardship of SketchUp, it became a mainstream architectural modeling tool. It was not previously.

I'm guessing Nik was purchased for similar reasons. Hopefully the outcome will be similar as well.

Personally I would rather pay for software that will be maintained and advanced than get freeware thst will stagnate over time.

Elan II
Total Posts: 957

chez wrote:
Elan II wrote:

Personally I would rather pay for software that will be maintained and advanced than get freeware thst will stagnate over time.

It really helps if you understand the subject before commenting on it. Google elevated SketchUp from an obscure program with moderate market share, to the number modeling program on the market and the current standard everyone follows. A major piece of their marketing approach was to release a highly functional freeware version so building owners, interior designers, contractors and everyone else involved in a project are able to use it to view, walk through, change and annotate the design. This, the pro version price reduction and good development resulted in the program's market share increasing easily 100x from where it was when taken over by google.

Generally speaking, getting taken over by Google means the operation will be enhanced with top people, 1st class management and unlimited resources.

Frank_Maiello
Total Posts: 226

Elan II wrote:
A major piece of their marketing approach was to release a highly functional freeware version so building owners, interior designers, contractors and everyone else involved in a project are able to use it to view, walk through, change and annotate the design.

FWIW, there's already an industry standard in that regard: Autodesk Revit.

(edit) On the subject, given that Nik didn't continue to support NX2 with any plug-ins after Color Efex Pro 3, I doubt this acquisition is going to change anything for those of us who like using Capture. I do hope Nikon gets its software act together and gives us a well-executed NX3. After all, Nikon is using a proprietary RAW format, so it follows they should have the most powerful avenue to really show off what their technology is capable of.

matt4626
Total Posts: 1022

chez is correct.....

hdavid
Total Posts: 91

Elan II wrote:

Generally speaking, getting taken over by Google means the operation will be enhanced with top people, 1st class management and unlimited resources.

Many companies - like SageTV - have been shutdown / shuttered / no longer functioning. Took the skills/resources/technology - and left the customers in the dirt. I for one - do not believe there will be good things for us consumers from Nik in the future.

Sorry - I have been burnt twice now - waiting for the third time.

KibblesNbitz
Total Posts: 393

Hey, it could have been worse, they could have been bought by microsoft...

Generally, Google taking over means only good things

Pavel
Total Posts: 4971

Awesome! I can't wait for the new features like the one where you sharpen the picture and better targeted adds pop on my screen while the image is added to googles intellectual property to improve google earth for all of personkind.

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6645

Does this mean my Nik "effex" software will now have ads in them?

Rags Hef
Total Posts: 3038

My bet is the features will be included in Piccasa 3,4,5

I use P3 plus PS. P3 saves my raws with reversible changes and it's quick and upgraded seamlessly.

That said I just bought the plug in for CS6

Rags

2       end