New Delhi Mosque
/forum/topic/1154966/0

didierv
Total Posts: 316

http://www.pbase.com/didierv/image/146478995/original.jpg

jamach
Total Posts: 6104

difficult to say anything without offending anyone and fearing for the safety of my family

Joe

wclavey
Total Posts: 131

I think you did a great job preserving the range of tones in this image from the bright whites all the way to the shadows in the hall way in the background - - and in spite of the patch of bright sky at the end of the hall. I think that management of the range also adds to the really crisp appearance of the clothes. I like this shot.

lukeb
Total Posts: 1892

jamach wrote:
difficult to say anything without offending anyone and fearing for the safety of my family

Joe

Its a shame we have allowed ourselves to be in that position.

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6677

Interesting seeing two women praying with the men. I guess India is more tolerant of what the religion typically considers the lesser gender....nice shot.

Greg

StevenZ
Total Posts: 3867

I must agree with Wes,superb tonal range with excellent crispness and clarity. This photo speaks volumes.

jamach
Total Posts: 6104

lukeb wrote:
jamach wrote:

Joe

Its a shame we have allowed ourselves to be in that position.

I am not sure if you are preaching or what, that is the way it has become, watch and read the news for causes

If you are preaching to me, or making a statement regarding me, then please go away now

Moreover, I suspect there won't be any negative words about any element of this image

Joe

didierv

Please guys, it is only about photography, let's not make this into a religious debate.

Thanks to everybody for the comments it is very much appreciated.

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6677

Not to stir the pot but how can you post an image of people praying and not expect people to comment about religion? Good, bad or otherwise, it is what it is. Like I said, I like the image, and find the inclusion of women among the men, interesting and quite refreshing actually. So for me, this had a positive effect, but my first reaction was "muslims praying" and then I looked at the rest of the photo....

lazlo369
Total Posts: 9824

Spectacular, well photographed image indeed.
I see quite a few people just laying around the floor.
Are they just cooling off ?

sbeme
Total Posts: 18081

A couple of things.
Technically a masterful image with great detail, tones, depth and mastery over exposure challenges.
Second, a surprisingly intimate image. I feel privileged to be given this view. What did you need to do to get permission?

Scott

didierv

Thank you very much for the comment ! it is very much appreciated.
To answer your question, I actually did not need any permission or authorization.
Unlike most of the mosques in North Africa or the Middle East, this one was opened to the public.
Before I started taking picture I asked my guide if it was OK, he said yes.
I have to say I was not part of a group, I was just traveling with my son and was using the small Olympus OM-D taking pictures at waist level. I drew a few stares, but nothing else.
Didier

didierv

You are absolutely right, people on the floor were most likely cooling off.
This picture was taken in early August during the monsoon, it was unbearingly hot and humid in Delhi at the time.
Didier

wclavey

When I first looked at this image, my thought was that it looked like the same perspective as shooting with a TLR - - I shot with a Mamiya C200 & C3 since the mid 1970s... and that waist level or chest level perspective is different than an eye level perspective. Your explanation about using the OM-D as waist level explains it. I sometimes still do that with the E-30 - - flip out the screen and shoot at waist level.

wclavey

I meant to add that this image really reminds me of the paintings and subsequent lithographs of David Roberts, from the mid 1800s, of his trips through Egypt and the Holy Land. It has much the same feel as some of his pictures where he explores some building of architectural interest but with some fairly intimate or interactive scene of daily life as the real subject of the picture.

howardF
Total Posts: 22

Outstanding photo in every respect.

srudy
Total Posts: 1254

Brilliant image in its composition and processing.