Self Portrait...
/forum/topic/1154393/0

Protege
Total Posts: 276

Had the day off today, and was nursing a cold. Couldn't go with the wife to babysit some kids (which I practice my photography with). I was browsing through my bookmarks of photogs I like. One being Andrzej Dragan. So I decided to do a quick portrait and play around PS. Some notes: I don't like being in front of the camera. I like being in the back. So, I can't pose worth a lick. I had to remove my shirt because it was distracting (plain white). I couldn't use off-camera lighting because I have only 1 set of triggers - 1 I'm holding on my left hand to fire the shutter, and the other is to receive the signal and fire the shutter. I know I went extreme, but hey, I'm just playing around. It's not like it's going to National Geographic anytime soon.

Camera: Canon EOS 1D Mark III
Lens: Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tripod: Beike 475
Shutter: Yongnuo RF603C
Exposure: 70mm, f8, 1/30th, ISO 400, 0EV, AWB, RAW+L, manual mode, AF one shot using outer 19 points
Meter: Sunny 16 rule as guideline
Main Light: Ambient - outdoor overcast
Fill Light: None

Thanks for looking.

T-bone1
Total Posts: 8977

Very cool.
My only crit is that the face treatment is so drastically different than the treatment from the bottom of the neck down.
It gives it an unfinished piece of work look to me.

Make the whole piece share the same treatment as the face, and it's a winner!

-T

Jim Rickards
Total Posts: 10405

I like it a lot. It's bold, from the processing to the pose/composition.

I saw the "treatment" from the neck down as merely being OOF. Less OOF would be my choice, but that's a preference, not a critique.

Protege
Total Posts: 276

Thanks for the critique, guys. Much appreciated. Regarding the different colour treatments, that's actually because my face and neck are tanned compared to my chest and shoulders. I work outside everyday, so that's why. I didn't feel like doing some sort of layer mask to blend the colours better. You can also see that I left my hand out as well. My palm is lighter than the top of my hand. It worked out well on that IMO, but not so much on the chest area. I'll keep a closer eye on it next time around. Thanks guys.

douter
Total Posts: 11402

I agree with T-Bone1, just too much difference between the shoulder chest area and neck and head areas. Interesting post processing though.
Douglas

crabcakes
Total Posts: 162

You look in agony! I love the photo and the processing. I too don't care for the drastic color change on your chest. Looks like milk and crushed Oreos!