IKEA catalog retouching
/forum/topic/1153770/0

king_louie
Total Posts: 43

http://www.thelocal.se/43554/20121001/?

Ikea 'sorry' for erasing women in Saudi book

I am amazed at how this much retouching could be done. And for so many images! I can see how they would take another image of the setup, put it in a layer below, and rub out the woman. Or do they do all shoots on a green screen and composite in computer? Do they have the entire catalog "setup" in ready-to-shoot in some place?

BrianO
Total Posts: 8547

This topic would be better suited to the Lighting and Studio, Pro Digital, or other sub-forum than to the Canon sub-forum.

[Edit: I see a moderator agreed with me, as this thread is now in the Miscellaneous sub-forum.]

AlexF
Total Posts: 1036

The touch up would not be all that complicates as long as they took a photo of that set empty - you just put the photo with no people as a bottom layer and then erase the girl...and the mirror

jerrykur
Total Posts: 4254

I am not surprised at this tweak. IKEA is replacing photographs with CG images in their catalogs.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444508504577595414031195148.html

king_louie
Total Posts: 43

Hmm, interesting! That makes it easy I guess, since everything is a composite.

gdanmitchell
Total Posts: 9219

I wonder if they first shot the room without people. That would allow a great deal of flexibility in post.

Dan

hk_mtbr
Total Posts: 836

gdanmitchell wrote:
I wonder if they first shot the room without people. That would allow a great deal of flexibility in post.

Dan

This ^^ I'm sure. It wasn't likely an after thought.

Otherwise they would have blurred out her face...or blacked out her enitire body. You would be surprised how much this is done even on billboard ads here. Why bother even having a human in the image if you are going to blur them out?!

I'm a visitor here for a short while and I must say it is an interesting place - making it difficult to photo. The younger population is predictably not as concerned with such. But when you see "jumbo-tron" digital billboard ads with blurred faces it makes you scratch your head.

TV commercials are mixed sometimes having females in full veil talking on TV - sometimes not at all...interesting.

I'll post some local photos in the street forum some day soon...but still a bit nervous about it and will not have local ladies faces to be certain. Not a political statement - I just need to keep my job/visa

borderlight
Total Posts: 1746

I would have left the woman in the picture, but her reflection in the mirror retouched out and hope nobody noticed.... until Halloween.