1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS MkII Gone Fishing
/forum/topic/1153732/0

2       end

PetKal
Total Posts: 24080

400 f/2.8 IS MkII is a hoot of a lens because it is...

+ sharp from wide open
+ its bokeh and subject isolation is addictive
+ I can finally use a 400 f/2.8 lens handheld for several hours without having to see a chiropractor afterwards.

I had some fun shooting the lens wide open the other day. In order to secure cooperation of my GB pijun model, I had to bait him/her with Koi fish. Koi is very photogenic because of its vibrant colours which also seem to facilitate their early capture by the pijun.

To help illustrate the lens traits, I have chosen some images which amplify narrow DoF, and also give you a bit unusual view of the bird.

Lastly, I almost get a daily question from our members as to which lens to choose: 400 II or 500 II. I really do not have a good answer there, all I can say is that 500 II is my most used lens largely because of its friendly weight. In addition, when more FL is needed, 500 II works nicely with 1.4xTC MkIII, which gives me 3.5 kg heavy 700 f/5.6 combo.....I think that is great.

All of the enclosed images are fair enlargement crops, very little pp ( 2 min per image), and they were shot as JPGs.

OntheRez
Total Posts: 2834

Afraid I don't even have table stakes for this game. Love that "koi in the mouth shot."

Robert

Obviously a very nice "kit" 1Dx + 400 f/2.8!!!!

Ed Swift
Total Posts: 1681

Really like that first image.

One day maybe I'll get a set up like that.

Liquidstone
Total Posts: 1419

Eye-popping images as usual, Peter. Looks like the II is at least as good optically as its older sibling!

PetKal wrote:

I had some fun shooting the lens wide open the other day. In order to secure cooperation of my GB pijun model, I had to bait him/her with Koi fish. Koi is very photogenic because of its vibrant colours which also seem to facilitate their early capture by the pijun.

Hmmm.... I've a tough time understanding why a creature's life has to be sacrificed in order to get good photos. But that's just me.... whatever floats your boat.

PetKal

Liquidstone wrote:

Hmmm.... I've a tough time understanding why a creature's life has to be sacrificed in order to get good photos. But that's just me.... whatever floats your boat.

Thank you pare, I was just kidding about the Koi. Someone else must have released them into that marsh.

Here's my stunt boy in his entirety.(1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS MkII)

No photoshop background, that is our trees turning golden yellow in the fall (water reflection).

PetKal

And lastly, for all 400 f/2.8 aficionados, a few Wood pijuns. (1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS MkII).

Please note, these shots were done with a rather neutral saturation setting.
However, in a good sunlight and when the sunbeam incidence angle upon the feathers is right, the colour iridescence ignites very strongly, to the point of looking like a photoshop artifact, therefore, I generally like to tone them down below the reality. I guess, that's a matter for each person's taste.

Liquidstone
Total Posts: 1419

PetKal wrote:
Thank you pare, I was just kidding about the Koi. Someone else must have released them into that marsh.

Nice to hear that, Peter.

big country
Total Posts: 3566

does the 400 2.8 IS II make the 600 f/4 and 800 5.6 obsolete?

j/k

PetKal

big country wrote:
does the 400 2.8 IS II make the 600 f/4 and 800 5.6 obsolete?

j/k

Good line of thinking, Jason.
In fact, I feel 200 f/2 IS + a bag full of TCs is all one would ever need.

sritri
Total Posts: 3213

That #5 GBH is dramatically special Peter Feels like he is beckoning the fish to come to him

arbitrage
Total Posts: 6097

Great shots...love the mohawk on that first one!!

So when is the final super-telephoto verdict going to come down? You know, when you will let all us mere mortals know which one is really the bestist

PetKal

sritri wrote:
That #5 GBH is dramatically special Peter Feels like he is beckoning the fish to come to him

Thank you, Shreeni....unfortunately I have to spend some more time coaching my stunt GB pijun, as he still makes me shoot him backlit often.
Also, the shot below would have been very good if I was on his sunlit side.
(1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS MkII)

PetKal

arbitrage wrote:
Great shots...love the mohawk on that first one!!

So when is the final super-telephoto verdict going to come down? You know, when you will let all us mere mortals know which one is really the bestist

Thank you, Geoff.
I fugure all kinds of experts have weighed in on the MkII supertelephoto lenses, so there is really nothing new for me to say any more.

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1689

This lens is for the birds!

PetKal

artsupreme wrote:
This lens is for the birds!

It's a man's lens, dood.
In fact, real men shoot with the MkI handheld, and to them 800L feels like a sports/mobility model.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17703

Great shots as always Peter!
The new 400 is incredibly well-balanced and produces tack sharp images. If it wasn't for my 500 II, I would really be missing it.

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11526

Don't people pay a boatload of money for those koi fish?

sritri
Total Posts: 3213

PetKal wrote:
Also, the shot below would have been very good if I was on his sunlit side.
(1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS MkII)

Wow!

PetKal

Fred Miranda wrote:
Great shots as always Peter!
The new 400 is incredibly well-balanced and produces tack sharp images. If it wasn't for my 500 II, I would really be missing it.

Fred, balanced well it sure is, however, I also find the rear-end heavy 500 II to be significantly easier to handle.
The 800 and 600 are both nose heavy and equally bad to control on handheld swings.

PetKal

RobertLynn wrote:
Don't people pay a boatload of money for those koi fish?

I assume they cost a pretty penny....therefore, they would simply be way too expensive for a bait.
Kidding aside, I have no idea how those fish ended up in the marsh.

2       end