$2700 5D3's - Where are they?!
/forum/topic/1153695/0

2       end

Lance Couture
Total Posts: 2159

I recall seeing people saying that they were able to buy 5D3's new for around $2700 over the past few weeks.

I cant find any for less than $3K.

Where were these deals from?!

artsupreme
Total Posts: 1689

There should be a few left on the B&S close to $2700, Beach Camera and Adorama were having sales

jeraldcook
Total Posts: 522

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1153447

But I bought my on eBay from Adorama for $2750.

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1524

The cheapest was from Adorama on eBay for $2,750. Before that, Beach Camera had several sale from the body for $2,799 and a kit with 600EX-RT flash & grip for $4,250 and $4,350.

I know that a lot of people thought it's a price drop and keep waiting for the next best deal, but I haven't seen one in a little while. So, we might not see another one until Black Friday. If you see on in B&S, I suggest you to grab it.

Ben Horne
Total Posts: 11644

This is because these stores were selling the cameras significantly below dealer cost. They were provided with some sort of shady back-room deal by Canon to push these cameras onto the market in a way that skirts the MAP pricing. They didn't make this deal available to all dealers --- just a select few. This seems to be an admission that the 5DIII isn't selling nearly as well as they hoped --- both because the price is higher than nikon, and the specs aren't quite on the same level.

Lance Couture
Total Posts: 2159

I may have to wait until Black Friday then... :/

thw2
Total Posts: 2797

Ben Horne wrote:
This is because these stores were selling the cameras significantly below dealer cost. They were provided with some sort of shady back-room deal by Canon to push these cameras onto the market in a way that skirts the MAP pricing. They didn't make this deal available to all dealers --- just a select few. This seems to be an admission that the 5DIII isn't selling nearly as well as they hoped --- both because the price is higher than nikon, and the specs aren't quite on the same level.

If it's true, then the initial sales price of the 6D may see a steep drop from the introductory US$2100.

lowa2
Total Posts: 1976

Mines at the post office, waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow!

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11434

They were spot sales by some retailers and I believe the purchases were made possible by eBay offering money to the retailer.

I don't think you'll be seeing anything like this kne Black Friday.

scottam10
Total Posts: 773

The cheap 5D3's seem to be in Australia...

Check out http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Default.aspx
(though you'd have to check if they post to the US)

They've had the 5D3 body only for A$2795 for a while now.
Over the weekend the price on the 5D3 + 24-105mm kit dropped to A$3069!
(over $1000 cheaper than Adorama/B&H, no idea how they do it)

At that price I finally caved and bought one

Australia pays more than the US for most things, it's about time we got some bargains!

scalesusa
Total Posts: 2277

Ben Horne wrote:

Can you provide a valid source for your information, or is it something out of your imagination.

Total Posts: 103

People who know how 5D Mark III was sold at such low price don't tell, and rest of us are just guessing. If I'm not mistaken, Adorama's representative said that this sale was one time only, and it's not coming back for 5D III. They may repeat it for other models though (didn't mention model).

Wahoowa
Total Posts: 1524

I recall there were several deals at a great price for 5D Mark II and 70-200L II IS last holidays. Not sure if it's on Black Friday or after. What I was saying was I doubt you would see another deal before Black Friday, but I'm not saying there would be a deal after.

Anyway, good luck to the original poster finding one at a great price.

big country
Total Posts: 3547

Ben if what you say is true, about Canon having shady back room deals w/ certain retailers, why wouldn't they do it with B and H? they are the biggest and baddest around. Why would Canon undercut their best retailer? I would guess that it would hurt Canon far worse if B and H dropped them than vice versa.

Not saying you are wrong, but just curious...

retrofocus
Total Posts: 3215

Ben Horne wrote:

+1: don't say it too load in this forum, otherwise some specific unnamed members will swarm out and will try to make your well stated opinion unreliable.

vsg28
Total Posts: 1227

I find it hard to believe Canon did a back room deal with only a select few dealers to sell a body for less on eBay.

Ben Horne

scalesusa wrote:
Ben Horne wrote:

Can you provide a valid source for your information, or is it something out of your imagination.

I offer you a unicorn turd. Thanks for the kind words.

Ben Horne

big country wrote:
Ben if what you say is true, about Canon having shady back room deals w/ certain retailers, why wouldn't they do it with B and H? they are the biggest and baddest around. Why would Canon undercut their best retailer? I would guess that it would hurt Canon far worse if B and H dropped them than vice versa.

Not saying you are wrong, but just curious...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe B&H has a presence on ebay. This would be necessary to avoid the issues of blatantly selling products below the MAP price that is required to maintain a dealership with Canon. If the products are sold on ebay, or other non-traditional distribution channels, the MAP pricing doesn't adhere.

Dealers only make a couple hundred dollars by selling a 5DIII, so something is up when you see big places selling on ebay for significantly below cost. I don't believe the people who say that ebay is covering the difference.... that really doesn't make any sense. Why would ebay take a $600 hit on each camera that's sold? They are in business to make money.

That's why it only makes sense that Canon is making special deals with select retailers who are able to move the cameras via non-standard distribution channels. Unfortunately, this causes significant friction with all the other dealers that canon chooses not to give this special deal to.

Ben Horne

vsg28 wrote:
I find it hard to believe Canon did a back room deal with only a select few dealers to sell a body for less on eBay.

I don't see any other plausible explanation. Imagine if you had a warehouse full of cameras that weren't selling nearly as fast as you would like. You can't do an official price drop because it would show weakness in the line, and it wouldn't sit well with all those users who paid full pop for the camera. Perhaps you could call up some of the biggest dealers, and offer them the cameras at a greatly reduced price just so long as they don't sell them through traditional distribution that would violate MAP.

coranda
Total Posts: 403

scottam10 wrote:
The cheap 5D3's seem to be in Australia...

Check out http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Default.aspx
(though you'd have to check if they post to the US)

They've had the 5D3 body only for A$2795 for a while now.
Over the weekend the price on the 5D3 + 24-105mm kit dropped to A$3069!
(over $1000 cheaper than Adorama/B&H, no idea how they do it)

At that price I finally caved and bought one

Australia pays more than the US for most things, it's about time we got some bargains!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think DWI is in Australia. They operate out ofSingapore or Hong Kong I think so the product you get is grey market. They offer a 1 year Australian Warranty but that warranty isn't through Canon Australia, you have to ship it back to DWI.

I also think that, technically, you should get hit with 10% GST when the goods arrive to clear customs but I haven't heard of any cases where it has been collected.

2       end