/forum/topic/1153655/0

hfgarris
Total Posts: 375

blucenturion
Total Posts: 556

Very nice ad! Congrats.

Jamesbjenkins
Total Posts: 807

Why selling? I'm in the market for a spec'd iMac. Wasn't considering a 2010 model, but now I am. When did you purchase and what sort of work has this machine seen?

hfgarris

I purchased this in Sept. 2010 to functionally replace my bulky Mac Pro tower and all its wires and stuff. I wanted a "neat and clean" system for my Den with all the power and functionality of the Mac Pro tower. I just set the iMac up in the basement waiting to swap them, and seldom went down there to use it for anything much other than to turn it on to do the software updates.

However ... I never got around to swapping them around (big job ) and continued to upgrade my Mac Pro with expensive memory, SSD drives, and video cards. Now, I have so much invested in the Mac Pro that I am just going to keep using it. Thus the sale of the pretty much unused, redundant iMac system still under warranty.

I had it dual booting OS X and Windows 7 ... but never really did anything on it.

-howard

Jamesbjenkins

Thanks for the info. I'm hesitant to buy a two year old computer, but you're offering a wonderful price. I'll let you know asap if I want to buy.

hfgarris

Given the lack of use ... it is essentially new.

Keep in mind the remaining Apple Care Warranty is actually longer than the warranty on a new purchase.

Jamesbjenkins

I'm about to pull the trigger. Question: You list this model as an i7 processor at 2.93 GHz, but if I'm reading the model info correctly, that model offered an i5 chip at 2.93 GHz and an i7 chip at 3.6 GHz. Which option is in this iMac?

hfgarris

This iMac was ordered with the BTO processor upgrade ... it has the more powerful 2.93GHz i7 processor which has a 8MB Level-3 cache, "Hyper Threading" and "Turbo Boost" to 3.6GHz when necessary.

(you have the chips reversed above ... the i5 has the 3.6GHz. but only dual core )

Here is the spec sheet showing all versions of this iMac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP588

-howard

hfgarris

It can be confusing ... Here are the processors available for the 27" when ordering:

Processor: 27-inch models, one of the following:
- 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading
- 3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

- 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Turbo Boost
- 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

Going from the Quad-Core i5 to the Quad-core i7 is usually a $200 upgrade when ordering.

-howard

Jamesbjenkins

Payment sent. Thanks!

Brandon Mizar
Total Posts: 1552

Great snag James. I was scrolling down and was getting ready to reply that I will take it.

hfgarris

iMac has been sold!

Thanks for looking ...

Jamesbjenkins

Received today. Running a full battery of tests. Will tag for feedback when everything checks out!

Jamesbjenkins

Tag for feedback.

Thanks, Howard!