Aletsch Pano in Aluminum "Hanging on the wall"
/forum/topic/1153351/0

Chris Tylko
Total Posts: 837

We often use the expression "Hang on the wall" here on this forum, so I thought that in addition to sharing an image I'd actually show you how I had it printed on aluminum as well as showing you, well, that I hung it on a wall

The panorama (1st image) is a 4 stitch image of the Aletsch glacier shot from the Jungfrau this past May (with my brand new 5D MIII). Its a simple automatic PS5 automatic stitch (which actually came out surprisingly well). I provided the printer with a 750 MB, 400 DPI image file to produce a 22" x 60" panel.

The second image is a photograph of the finished print. I shot it quickly so the light on the panel isn't quite even; the aluminum reflects light sources adding to the difficulty.

The third image is a closeup to show the effect. Its really quite neat. I think the process works best for more monochromatic images. I saw a sample of more colorful image and I didn't find it as appealing.

The remaining image is to prove that I did "hang it on the wall" ...seriously, this type of finish does not lend itself to every household or office setting. As you can see, this was for our stainless steel appliance'd kitchen so it works rather well. Its a "modern" look.

Finally, I'm pretty sure its an ink-jet process and it cost me a little over $300. The aluminum sheet is laminated to what looks like a plexi or plastic and is about 4mm thick; there's a wood frame on the back to make it look like its floating.

Hope you enjoy!

Cloudbow
Total Posts: 1797

Looks like brushed aluminum in the closeup. I think it looks dynamite on your kitchen wall.

Bev

treebeard
Total Posts: 7828

Dang, that's the cleanest kitchen I have ever seen! It looks great on the wall by the way.

videodude1961
Total Posts: 257

Hi Chris, a fantastic image, and a nice story to go with it. That finished work hanging in the kitchen looks right at home, with the colors of the counter top matching up with the mountains on the wall. We should all surround ourselves with our favorites.

Rich T.

CarlG
Total Posts: 6383

treebeard wrote:
Dang, that's the cleanest kitchen I have ever seen! It looks great on the wall by the way.

Ditto! Looks like the wife doesn't cook....

_Rob_S_
Total Posts: 1217

Fantastic! Great image and treatment. It's wonderful seeing the final result in it's environment. Thanks for sharing!

(great looking kitchen BTW!!!)

Rob

gtg844f
Total Posts: 165

CarlG wrote:
treebeard wrote:

Ditto! Looks like the wife doesn't cook....

Probably the wife can't get eyes off the picture. Love the picture BTW.

Chris Tylko
Total Posts: 837

The dust removal function in the new 5DMIII really does a good job
...seriously, it usually a lot messier than that (you can't see all the crap I shifted out of the way).

And thanks for the compliments...that wall stood empty for well over three years as I searched for the perfect image.