Apple Picking/Cider Making/Rain Dancing // FPJ(ish)
/forum/topic/1152638/0

2       end

zalmyb
Total Posts: 1669

A few weeks back we headed up to the mountains with some health freak ground we're part of. It ended up raining like crazy, thunderstorms and all. That doesn't happen in Southern California, and no one came prepared. Which was fin for the kids... They loved it!

This was also my first attempt at doing my own color scanning, so the colors came out a bit wonky...

Anyways here goes (as always, many, many photos )

There was some crazy thunder going on, and the kids were laughing like crazy (and Estee was like "Zalmy!!! Get that shot", and I'm trying to keep Zusha from eating all the apples, and trying to focus wide open at 1/60 of a second... Not easy).

I got the shot.

hatch1921
Total Posts: 4557

Lots of great memories you've captured here. 3b, 11 and 20 jump out at me. Very nice series all around.

Thanks for sharing.
Hatch

vilimo
Total Posts: 945

great set!!! Looks like the kids had lots of fun

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4174

Sweetness from start to finish.

ryan21
Total Posts: 539

Wow great job, if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to scan these? Looks like 645 am I right?

joshe
Total Posts: 43

Great shots! Was this mostly 50mm work?

eSchwab
Total Posts: 2473

This is by far the best series I have seen from you. Really spectacular work. 11 is awesome. My only complaint is that there are too many shots of the backs of your kids.

01Ryan10
Total Posts: 153

Great shots. Was this in Julian?

qwyjibo
Total Posts: 945

Really good stuff Zalmy. Not much time, but here are a few random thoughts.

Glad you got 11, awesome reaction.
Like the contrast in a bunch of photos between your mellow daughter and the excitable boys.
Wish there were more of the apple press, looks like it's pretty cool but maybe tough to get a good angle.
Not sure how you were in two places at the same time (23 and 27), I like them both but I like their faces better.
I like 30 (fan of people being small in a scene), but feel like it could be improved with a bit different processing (yes, I realize that's kinda funny).
32 - You're such a hipster....
Thanks for sharing the set brother.

zalmyb

Thanks y'all!

Yeah, they had a blast (as did my wife and I!)

Ryan21, they were all scanned on a frontier 2500, and it's 67 (Mamiya RZ)

joshe, it was all with the 110mm which is very similar to 50mm on a full frame (maybe a bit longer)

eSchwab, thanks! There are quite a few from the back... with my own family I get what I could... (and I don't mind their backs )

01Ryan10, it was in Yucaipa (but I do remember doing the same thing as kid in Julian).

Dave, thanks! yeah the boys reacted quit differently to the rain than my daughter did (but she warmed up to it). I wish I had a wide angle also, but it was raining like crazy, so I just kept my one camera on me that doesn't really mind getting pretty darn wet. Under the canopy where we were pressing was very tight and I was constantly running after one of the kids (usually the youngest) so I couldn't take the photos I wanted to... But that's okay, I made a point of making the actual time with the kids a priority over the photo taking (though I need to make it even more of a priority...).

I totally didn't notice that those two seem to be identical (from opposite angles). They were taken probably a few minutes apart (as they look to be with two different films).

I actually love the colors in 30! The photo itself isn't that hot though.

ha! My 220 back was having issues and the last frames of a few of the rolls came out completely screwed up (19b was another). But I figured they're fun anyways.

Josh Evilsizor
Total Posts: 3032

very cool as always... every time I leave one of your threads I feel so guilty for not taking more pics of my kids...

benee
Total Posts: 1808

11 18 and 23 are particularly joyful/humorous to me. I love the color palette, love the moments you capture. these pics are going to be so wonderful to look at 5, 10, 20 years down the road. great stuff!

Velu01
Total Posts: 2586

Lovely !!!

I will not start to name my favourites

I wonder, in #7 and 10, did you use two kind of films or did you use a different kinda workflow ?

Thanks

rgds
Velu

zalmyb

Thank Josh, though that's not my intent, you should always take more!

Benee, thanks man! The color palette isn't my doing, it's film

Velu 01, thanks. number 7 was good ole' underexposure. Most color film does NOT underexpose well... (besides the new Portras).

neighbourboy
Total Posts: 2671

Crikey Zalmy. Best I've seen from you, yet. I will be back to pay more respect to this one when I have more time.

--David

Velu01
Total Posts: 2586

zalmyb wrote:
Thank Josh, though that's not my intent, you should always take more!

Benee, thanks man! The color palette isn't my doing, it's film

Velu 01, thanks. number 7 was good ole' underexposure. Most color film does NOT underexpose well... (besides the new Portras).

Oh, off course, my wrong ...

Yap, I started shooting film ( occasionaly) and it's incredible how far you can push that Portra.
Overexposure it's not a problem, underexposure is kinda too "avoid".

Thanks

Rgds
Velu

khphoto
Total Posts: 296

Amazing stuff. I'm not sure why, but I really love #28.

jseno327
Total Posts: 154

awesome set. i love the colors!

Inga
Total Posts: 1135

Great series. I do have to agree that there are many shots of the back of kids doing stuff that isn't particularly noteworthy. I think there are way more than enough stronger images with more noteworthy action and emotion that these could have been omitted from the set making the whole thing even stronger.

Have to agree with Josh...I too feel guilty for not shooting my own family more often after reading threads like this.

zalmyb

thanks again...

khphoto, I spent a few minutes working on the framing and moment for 28 so you better like it

Inga, I don't know, I only see one that really doesn't say much, the others I like... It could be I'm just biased because it's my fam...

2       end