Odd issue with images posting online!!
/forum/topic/1152621/0

treebeard
Total Posts: 7782

I am currently shooting for a newspaper down here in SC. I upload my images to my boss at 800x600px 240dpi and I usually leave the quality at 90-95 in LR4.1. When I upload them to my flickr account they look fine. Also, my images look great in the newspaper.However, lately when they get uploaded to THEIR website they look horrendous. They look as if they have some sort of colour cast and it's really aggravating me. Could someone go to this website: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/weeklysurge/ and then click on the PartyPix link to the right and look to see what you think? The "Georgetown rocks the Equinox" are mine as well as some others. This is not a spam website, it's the website where the pictures that are in the newspaper get uploaded to. I really need to figure out if it's something I am doing or if the person uploading them is adding contrast or something like that. Thanks!

howardm4
Total Posts: 2946

are you *sure* that the image is in sRGB colorspace and also tagged as such?

treebeard

howardm4 wrote:
are you *sure* that the image is in sRGB colorspace and also tagged as such?

Yes, under File Settings I have it set to sRGB and that's what I shoot in anyways. I can't figure it out.

Wayne Willison
Total Posts: 1280

Looks like the newspaper guys have uploaded to the website in a color space other than sRGB. I'd ask them.

Wayne

treebeard

Wayne Willison wrote:
Looks like the newspaper guys have uploaded to the website in a color space other than sRGB. I'd ask them.

Wayne

Here are two images which look fine. They MUST be doing something wacky.

Wayne Willison
Total Posts: 1280

Yep.

treebeard

I'm not happy to say the least. I guess I will have to say something as I can't stand having my images look crappy online. They look horrible!

colinm
Total Posts: 1967

Maybe they're trying to go all Instagrammy on the party pics and it's run horribly amok?

I don't know how anyone at the paper can look at that mess and think it looks fine. Especially that photo of the two girls. Yikes.

treebeard

colinm wrote:
Maybe they're trying to go all Instagrammy on the party pics and it's run horribly amok?

I don't know how anyone at the paper can look at that mess and think it looks fine. Especially that photo of the two girls. Yikes.

It's actually embarrassing. I get paid pretty good to do the partypix, but I don't know how anyone could stand to see their photo look that bad. It almost like someone is adjusting the contrast big time and then doing something else.

MissMouse
Total Posts: 2136

When I download one of your images like this one there is no embedded profile so I have no idea of what color space it was edited in for exif metadata is also striped

treebeard

MissMouse wrote:
When I download one of your images like this one there is no embedded profile so I have no idea of what color space it was edited in for exif metadata is also striped

That's odd. I will have to go back and see if Lightroom is striping the data. When I open the file in CS5 all the data shows up correctly so something must be going on when THEY upload the image.

MissMouse
Total Posts: 2136

How are you uploading them the images I post is just its URL on your server
http //media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smedia/2012/09/27/09/12/paoNS.St.78.jpeg

treebeard

I don't upload them, that's the problem. I edit them in LR 4.1, resize them, make sure they are sRGB and then I e-mail them. Someone else uploads them to the website. What's odd is that some of them look okay, but some look just horrible. When I open the files I have submitted in CS5 they all have the EXIF data intact, including color space.

treebeard

After doing alot of examination to my files (particularly the ones exported out of LR 4.1) it seems that the color space is not showing up. How could this be happening if I have it set to sRGB. It seems as if it's getting stripped out?