Nikon Capture NX2 won't convert D4 files
/forum/topic/1152537/0

1
       2       end

Matt OHarver
Registered: Sep 18, 2006
Total Posts: 3922
Country: United States

So this morning on my way to work I shot an accident for the newspaper with my D4. Grabbed my laptop to download and upload to the server. Only to realize I shot in Raw, I don't have lightroom 4 on here(Windows XP) so I downloaded a trial of NX2 from Nikon's site.


Installed and when I try to open the NEF files it won't, it tells me there are no Updates to the program.


I've never used it before, can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong. I need to get these to the office and don't want to drive the 45 minutes home to get that done if possible.


Matt



Bruce Sawle
Registered: Sep 26, 2006
Total Posts: 4131
Country: United States

Did ou download the latest version 2.3? Have you tied downloading viewNX2 it's free and will allow you to convert the RAW files.



Matt OHarver
Registered: Sep 18, 2006
Total Posts: 3922
Country: United States

I do have 2.3.1 and I will download viewNX2 and see if it will. But I don't remember if it will or not.


Matt



Kittyk
Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Total Posts: 4405
Country: Germany

you are using obsolete version,
Nikon Capture NX 7.5 equivalent can be found here:

http://www.phaseone.com/en-us/Downloads/CaptureOne.aspx



Bruce Sawle
Registered: Sep 26, 2006
Total Posts: 4131
Country: United States

View NX2 will give you basic editing abilities exposure, color saturation, contrast etc.



vpik01
Registered: Feb 28, 2012
Total Posts: 587
Country: United States

2.3.4 should work, it does with D600 files... but it is hard to find, use google and search 'Nikon NX 2.3.4 download' and you might get it. The thing that bothered me about it was that when you open up NX2 and ask it to update itself it didn't identify the 2.3.4 load as available.



Mishu01
Registered: Nov 20, 2009
Total Posts: 2325
Country: Romania

Hi Matt,

For dirty jobs (open, crop, resize, convert and many other basic adjustments) you can download a free software FastStone Image Viewer 4. (www.faststone.org). Its very "slim", fast and secure... Works as a charm with RAW files from D4 & D800. Very simple to use.

Good luck!



Matt OHarver
Registered: Sep 18, 2006
Total Posts: 3922
Country: United States

Thanks everyone. I will find one of them. For the time being I remembered that I had irfanview on this laptop, I updated it and it batch converted them so I could upload them to the office. I appreciate the help.

BTW here is the conversion pretty crude but it works to get it on the newspapers website I work on for now.


MJO_3548 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Matt



Mishu01
Registered: Nov 20, 2009
Total Posts: 2325
Country: Romania

Oh man! It was a blonde girl trying to park her 4x4 here?



Matt OHarver
Registered: Sep 18, 2006
Total Posts: 3922
Country: United States

No an older gentleman who got the gas and brake mixed up.


Matt



davenfl
Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Total Posts: 4064
Country: United States

Mishu01 wrote:
Oh man! It was a blonde girl trying to park her 4x4 here?


I think it is more probable that it is the older gentlemen mostly hidden by the fireman holding the door.

Dave



Kittyk
Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Total Posts: 4405
Country: Germany

good he didnt have a land rover so the house still stays



runamuck
Registered: Oct 29, 2006
Total Posts: 6463
Country: United States

The Land/Range Rover would have still been in the garage being repaired.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Land-Rover_Range-Rover/Reliability/



James Burden
Registered: Jul 18, 2007
Total Posts: 1133
Country: United States

Capture NX2 2.3.4
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17948



Matt OHarver
Registered: Sep 18, 2006
Total Posts: 3922
Country: United States

the car was surprisingly unhurt.

The news dept sent over someone to grab a quick photo to web it until I got my conversion done. But here is a quick link to the story. The web has really helped our little paper, since we are a weekly we can do updates and smaller stories via our website during the week.


Story



Kittyk
Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Total Posts: 4405
Country: Germany

runamuck wrote:
The Land/Range Rover would have still been in the garage being repaired.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Land-Rover_Range-Rover/Reliability/


reliability dropped once they started to offer cars for general public. some people just do not understand that whistling brakes, leaking oil and not working seat heater are features and not reason to hate the best car manufacturer on the world!
you buy rover to get something to kiss good night, not to get something to move from A to B



harto
Registered: Sep 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4
Country: Austria

Still offtopic, best manufacturer? Not to move from A to B? Not for public? Thats a joyful approach, made me laugh. But still Ill never get one again, had enough.



sjms
Registered: Mar 21, 2003
Total Posts: 18158
Country: United States

Kittyk wrote:
runamuck wrote:
The Land/Range Rover would have still been in the garage being repaired.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Land-Rover_Range-Rover/Reliability/


reliability dropped once they started to offer cars for general public. some people just do not understand that whistling brakes, leaking oil and not working seat heater are features and not reason to hate the best car manufacturer on the world!
you buy rover to get something to kiss good night, not to get something to move from A to B



you mean around 1948?



and Capture NX 2 v2.3.4 works just fine



Kittyk
Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Total Posts: 4405
Country: Germany

landies are like dogs. you cannot expect it to be chasing people off your lawn and not getting attention every day.
You cannot fall in love in volkgswagen or dodge



ecidi
Registered: Apr 22, 2004
Total Posts: 2075
Country: United States

Mishu01 wrote:
Hi Matt,

For dirty jobs (open, crop, resize, convert and many other basic adjustments) you can download a free software FastStone Image Viewer 4. (www.faststone.org). Its very "slim", fast and secure... Works as a charm with RAW files from D4 & D800. Very simple to use.

Good luck!


Not Mac compatible!



1
       2       end