Nikon D800 and D600 side-by-side
/forum/topic/1152399/0



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

Just thought I'd post some side-by-side pics of the two cameras. So far I like the D600. The only thing is, there is no ACR support for NEFs atm. For the shooter on a budget this is a nice bang for your buck camera. The cost was irrelevant since I was after the EXPEED sensor.












Dustin Gent
Registered: Apr 04, 2005
Total Posts: 4768
Country: United States

nice! You should post images of the same scene with the different bodies..

How do you like the 600 compared to the 800?



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

Thanks Dusitin. I like it a lot. I bought the D600 for casual shooting and I don't need 36 MPs all the time. The D800 is for landscape stuff. The D600 is a bit lighter but, I'm ok with that since I tend to carry a lot of gear with me. The AF is very good but, I'm still waiting for support from Adobe to open up the NEFs. My time is limited with being so busy with work but, I'm hoping to get some shooting in this weekend.



K6AZ
Registered: Oct 05, 2009
Total Posts: 437
Country: United States

Now I just know I've seen these pictures somewhere else today!



ironimages
Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Total Posts: 376
Country: United States

Thanks for the size comparison photo, If you could post some side by side image shots. I'm currently trying to decide what to purchase between the two, so more info comparing the two would be nice!



SSISteve
Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Total Posts: 1935
Country: United States

Does the D600 not have a pin connector for a cable release?

Steve



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

K6AZ wrote:
Now I just know I've seen these pictures somewhere else today!

Hehe! Gotta share for others to see.



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

ironimages wrote:
Thanks for the size comparison photo, If you could post some side by side image shots. I'm currently trying to decide what to purchase between the two, so more info comparing the two would be nice!

Pics will certainly follow. I'm not a fan Capture NX and I'm waiting for ACR.



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

SSISteve wrote:
Does the D600 not have a pin connector for a cable release?

Steve

The D600 does take a cable remote. It connects at the GPS port. You would have to buy the MC-DC2.




eshishlo
Registered: Aug 11, 2012
Total Posts: 12
Country: United States

You should be able to use the wireless ML-L3. I picked up a third party version last year for my D7000 and it works great.



K6AZ
Registered: Oct 05, 2009
Total Posts: 437
Country: United States

Julian, have you tried the DNG converter? I've had to resort to that a few times waiting on Adobe updates.



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

K6AZ wrote:
Julian, have you tried the DNG converter? I've had to resort to that a few times waiting on Adobe updates.

No. Too lazy! I want my ACR already!



Mark_L
Registered: Sep 28, 2010
Total Posts: 2404
Country: United Kingdom

Interesting. The D800 already feels far too short in my medium sized hands without the grip, the D600 this looks to be even shorter. The 600 looks like it has a larger rear thumb bulge which is nice, not sure why they went smaller than the 700 on the D800.



recordproducti
Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Total Posts: 217
Country: United Kingdom

I'm thinking of a D600 as a general go everywhere body and backup to the 800 on important shoots.

How are you finding the IQ and noise? I thought it should be better with larger photo sites or whatever though DXO didn't think so - though they say the D3200 is a great camera and I found it wasn't quite what it was talked up to be.

Cheers!



K6AZ
Registered: Oct 05, 2009
Total Posts: 437
Country: United States

JulianDeLaRosa wrote:
K6AZ wrote:
Julian, have you tried the DNG converter? I've had to resort to that a few times waiting on Adobe updates.

No. Too lazy! I want my ACR already!


I wonder what's causing the lag? These have been in circulation long enough for them to have an update.

Do you have any screw drive type lenses such as the 80-400 or 17-35? I'd like to know if there is any difference in the drive torque (focusing speed) between the D600 and D800.



Dustin Gent
Registered: Apr 04, 2005
Total Posts: 4768
Country: United States

recordproducti wrote:
I'm thinking of a D600 as a general go everywhere body and backup to the 800 on important shoots.

How are you finding the IQ and noise? I thought it should be better with larger photo sites or whatever though DXO didn't think so - though they say the D3200 is a great camera and I found it wasn't quite what it was talked up to be.

Cheers!


Why do you say this? Is it because of the top SS? I do landscapes primarily and don't use flash (moving into portraits soon), so am curious as to this query.



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

recordproducti wrote:
I'm thinking of a D600 as a general go everywhere body and backup to the 800 on important shoots.

How are you finding the IQ and noise? I thought it should be better with larger photo sites or whatever though DXO didn't think so - though they say the D3200 is a great camera and I found it wasn't quite what it was talked up to be.

Cheers!

So far, I'm liking what I see in jpeg but, truth will be told when converting from NEF.



JulianDeLaRosa
Registered: Apr 14, 2007
Total Posts: 642
Country: United States

K6AZ wrote:
JulianDeLaRosa wrote:
K6AZ wrote:
Julian, have you tried the DNG converter? I've had to resort to that a few times waiting on Adobe updates.

No. Too lazy! I want my ACR already!


I wonder what's causing the lag? These have been in circulation long enough for them to have an update.

Do you have any screw drive type lenses such as the 80-400 or 17-35? I'd like to know if there is any difference in the drive torque (focusing speed) between the D600 and D800.

I have no idea and I keep checking on the update everyday.

I don't own any of those lenses you mention. So, I can't tell you if there's any difference. If you ever have the chance, go mess around with the AF on the D600. You will be pleased.