Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions
/forum/topic/1152097/0

2       3       4       5       end

Jman13
Total Posts: 10795

Ok...shot a bit with this lens. For those who didn't catch the first thing I posted in the other thread, it's a very skinny lens. Same length as the 12-50 kit zoom, but skinnier. It's also heavier than you'd expect, though not too heavy.

As expected, the lens is very sharp and CA is very well controlled. LoCA is not 100% absent, but it's very, very minimal, and only visible as a subtle tint on something like black text on a white background. In specular highlights there is zero CA to be seen.

I'm not sure if it's quite as sharp as the 75/1.8 at medium distances (but if it isn't, it's darn close) and at infinity, there may be a little bit of field curvature (have to test more, but it's non existent from 2m and closer). That said, it's still EXTREMELY sharp corner to corner, and close up it's just brilliant.

Some quick samples:

My usual test subject (wide open):

100% crop:

My typical edge sharpness/bokeh test on parking meters (wide open):

100% lower right crop:

And a little macro shot (I think this is at 1:1...the little 'zoom to 1:1' switch is super nice.) @ f/5.6

FlyPenFly
Total Posts: 6455

Ugh, when are these jerks delivering mine!!!

They keep saying mid-late October.

CPWarner
Total Posts: 1060

Got mine from CameralandNY today. I agree with Jman, the 1:1 toggle is a nice feature. One flick and it drives it to 1:1. When playing with high magnification, that is nice to have. I did not think it was that heavy particularly in comparison to the Panasonic 45mm macro. They are similar in weight with the Olympus 60mm at 6.5 oz and the Panasonic at 7.9oz.

Jman13

I don't think it's a heavy lens...just heavier than it looks given how skinny it is and how light the slightly larger 12-50 is.

Antje
Total Posts: 6157

AAAAH!!!!!1 I hate you! I haven't even been able to preorder it so far.

Antje

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7581

I am not at all surprised if it's not as sharp as the 75/1.8 - which is phenomenally sharp. Most macro lenses are optimized for macro and close-up distances at the expense of the longer-range focussing sharpness. I don't know if you can find a true macro lens that is sharp from its MFD to infinity. So it's really good to hear you say that "if it isn't, it's darn close". We have another Olympus winner ... and at a very sensible price!

Jman13 wrote:

I'm not sure if it's quite as sharp as the 75/1.8 at medium distances (but if it isn't, it's darn close) and at infinity, there may be a little bit of field curvature (have to test more, but it's non existent from 2m and closer). That said, it's still EXTREMELY sharp corner to corner, and close up it's just brilliant.

FlyPenFly

The Olympus 50mm F2 is sharp enough at infinity to induce moire.

bobbytan

FlyPenFly wrote:
The Olympus 50mm F2 is sharp enough at infinity to induce moire.

... or it could be due to a weak AA filter.

FlyPenFly

It does have a weak AA filter, however other lenses haven't been able to induce it. Maybe you can find some examples of moire on the OM-D? The only other lens I recall is the PL25 1.4

Why do you think macro lenses aren't generally sharp at infinity?

bobbytan

FlyPenFly wrote:
It does have a weak AA filter, however other lenses haven't been able to induce it. Maybe you can find some examples of moire on the OM-D? The only other lens I recall is the PL25 1.4

That's what I've read. Most photography books say that.

formula4speed
Total Posts: 1691

Can we expect a comparison to the Panasonic 45mm in the near future? I shoot a lot of macro and don't have a 1:1 lens for my OMD yet (aside from adapting my 100L). I suspect the new Olympus will be my next lens purchase.

brubenstein
Total Posts: 26

Macro shootout on Micro Four Thirds: four lenses, one winne rhttp://blog.mingthein.com/2012/09/22/m43-macro-shootout/

FlyPenFly

bobbytan wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:

Which photography books?

kosmoskatten
Total Posts: 3029

FPF:

"Some" lens makers have said that "true" macro lenses are optimized for a certain magnification ratio/close up and that infinity work may be slightly impaired, the usual remedy being stopping down approximately two stops.

Zeiss stated this in their literature on the C/Y macro lenses I owned.

Comparing the Zeiss 60 to the Leica R60 this is quite evident, the Leica being a better all rounder, pretty good close up and fine at infinity and wide open while the Zeiss has the edge close up, but is suffering from mushiness at infinity wide open.

I cannot recall specific figures. Also in the "books" mentioned this might be true for older non floating elements designs etc. I dunno. Me no be no expert.

bobbytan

FlyPenFly wrote:
bobbytan wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:

Which photography books?

I don't remember now as this was a long time ago.

Jman13

Some more shots from today. I tested a little more at infinity (though these aren't representative)...it's very sharp at infinity, but I do think there's a little field curvature at infinity (doesn't show up closer up).

Anyway, loved the lens out today. Weathersealing on lens and body came in handy, as these were all taken after a rain, and there were a few times the wind blew and dropped big fat drops of water all over the camera and lens. No problems.

And who says you can't shoot small birds with a macro lens? (This is a tight crop, but I was able to get quite close):

100% crop:

flashinm
Total Posts: 375

Beautiful pictures. Looks like another real gem in the m4/3s lineup.

jcw1982
Total Posts: 1548

For anyone interested Roger over at LensRentals has posted some comparison tests of the Oly 60 and the Panny 45 macros.

Good information as always.

FlyPenFly

Jordan of the pictures you post I like your macro photos the best.

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6768

bobbytan wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:
bobbytan wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:

Which photography books?

I don't remember now as this was a long time ago.

Bobby -- Well, yes, a long time ago, like in the early 60s (and used into and 70s), most macro and close-up lenses were optimized for copy work -- close up flat field, and weren't so great for general shooting.

But since then, the rule has been sharp from close-up to infinity. Outstanding examples from the 70s are the Nikon AI 55/3.5 and the Canon FD 50/3.5 -- among others. These days, if you want stellar results at all distances, look to lenses like Canon 100L and Nikon's 105, again, among many others.

You might want to preface your remarks like this, "According to older theories. . . " keeping out of hot water!

Personally, I look to TS-E and macro lenses for outstanding details and overall shooting. The Leica R 60/2.8 is one of my favorites, and that comes from the late 60s-70s period of development, while the "experts" were busy writing what they knew from the preceding era.

2       3       4       5       end