and here are some shots I took the last few weeks:

DSC_0091 by SBspoolin03, on Flickr

DSC_0989 by SBspoolin03, on Flickr

Forgot my flash setup so I was using a single speedlight on the camera:

DSC_1197 by SBspoolin03, on Flickr

DSC_1408 by SBspoolin03, on Flickr

I know I know... butt shot here

DSC_1400 by SBspoolin03, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing and as always CC is welcome!

Jefferson
Total Posts: 4540

I like the third shot, but I would get rid of the two bright spots on the left and the right of the image...don't like the background on the first shot...fourth shot comes close...and I would dump the fifth shot altogether...just a bad angle...

Jefferson

redrider1197
Total Posts: 52

The 3rd and 4th shots are fantastic. I agree with Jefferson and would remove the two bright spots so that all that attention goes to the rider. I really like your lighting.

ChrisFWilson
Total Posts: 177

One of the things I love about FM is being able to watch someone start out and get better. Holy cow dude! I don't shoot skateboard but having just looked at your first thread (which had two sets) and now this one...dang...you went from me thinking "gotta love the effort" to now seeing this and saying "hey, that's actually a pretty cool shot!" (thinking #4)

Here's a generic critique (meaning by a guy who doesn't shoot skateboarding).

- biggest difference between #1/2 and #3/4 is the background - very cluttered and noisy in the first two and freaking beautiful in the second two (except for the street lights that were pointed out in #3).

#1 - Very busy background and could use a tighter crop. Just because you're shooting wide, doesn't mean you can't crop. It doesn't seem like much of a moment to capture, though the facial expression is somewhat compelling.

#2 - Again with the busy background - the lack of depth of field makes it look like the guy is sitting on top of the bush! One suggestion would be to get lower to the ground (if you're not already on it) so that the subject is against the back wall completely, giving a better sense of height. It also seems like you've strobed this one too much - the flash seems over done.

#3 - Great background. Now, I may be straying out of my comfort zone so correct me if I'm wrong, but on this trick I think you want to be facing the skater. As it is, his face is obscured by his body, his arm comes out and looks huge, and we can't really tell if he's on the "box" or not. Move to your right (assuming it's safe to) and you'll get a better face and a better sense of the trick. Strobe seems a bit too harsh.

#4 - Great background. Really nice shot. Nicely lit. Nice sky at dusk. Good peak action in the trick. My only suggestion would be to move to your left so you're shooting his midsection straight on. Either that or maybe your timing was just off? I have no idea, never having shot the sport!

#5 - Agree with Jefferson. Dump it.

All in all, you are killing it with regard to your progress. My guess is your fourth and fifth sets will be even better. Suggestion? If you're shooting skaters you trust, see about getting even closer to them. Or is that crazy? Again with me giving advice on something I know nothing about...just a thought...or you could get a skateboard in the face...so maybe not...

SBnone03
Total Posts: 14

Sorry for the late replies!

Jefferson wrote:
I like the third shot, but I would get rid of the two bright spots on the left and the right of the image...don't like the background on the first shot...fourth shot comes close...and I would dump the fifth shot altogether...just a bad angle...

Jefferson

thanks for the cc I just edited out the bright spots and the image looks a lot better and isn't as distracting to the eye.

redrider1197 wrote:
The 3rd and 4th shots are fantastic. I agree with Jefferson and would remove the two bright spots so that all that attention goes to the rider. I really like your lighting.

Thanks a lot! Hopefully when I reshoot them this weekend everything will come together with them.

ChrisFWilson wrote:

All in all, you are killing it with regard to your progress. My guess is your fourth and fifth sets will be even better. Suggestion? If you're shooting skaters you trust, see about getting even closer to them. Or is that crazy? Again with me giving advice on something I know nothing about...just a thought...or you could get a skateboard in the face...so maybe not...

thanks for the detailed cc! I'm going to reshoot #4 and #5 again this weekend to submit them to a magazine so your input really helped a lot. I plan on getting a slight bit closer to them and continue to experiment with lighting and composition. Not a bad start for not touching my camera all summer

scottgripske
Total Posts: 6

1 could work really well with a harsh rim light to pop him out from the distracting background.

2 would have been good if you got lower so he was above the bush, on your stomach.

4 could be times a bit later, a fraction before he locks into the back lip.

lookin' good tho!

Get these guys out into the streets!