Suggestions for Maine Coast
/forum/topic/1151461/0

gel685
Total Posts: 237

I'll be in Maine for 4 days in a few weeks. I'll start in Portland and drive up the coast to Acadia. Interests are fall colors and lighthouses. Maybe some shore birds if they are still around. Any suggestions for places to stop? Thanks in advance.--Eric.

Foggylink
Total Posts: 40

Eric,

The foliage is already on it's way, and will be at peak along the coast in a week or so. Just take your time and enjoy. Explore the Old Port area, and Commercial Street in Portland. I'll be in Southwest Harbor this weekend for an Oktoberfest !

Fog

sbeme
Total Posts: 17303

Portland Headlight, for one.
Cape Elizabeth Two Lights (just outside of Portland).
Check out the colors along Jordan Pond in Acadia.

Scott

David Patterson
Total Posts: 2774

Lighthouses... the most photogenic (or at least the most-photographed) moving north from Portland include Portland Head Light, Pemaquid Light, and Marshall Point Light. Nubble Light is south of Portland by about 45 minutes or so, and is quite unique. In Acadia, I hear that the Bass Harbor Light has some scaffolding on it for renovations... not sure when that's coming down though.

dalongfellow
Total Posts: 2724

In addition to the lighthouses, the town of Wiscasset has a lot of beautiful old homes, New Harbor (near the Pemaquid lighthouse) is very pretty (especially late in the day if it is sunny), Camden Harbor, the Camden Hills State Park (overlooks Camden Harbor) are all spots you could think about stopping along Route 1 on your way from Portland to Acadia/Bar Harbor.

Dave