6D - no "WOW" feeling?
/forum/topic/1151415/0

2       3              7       8       end

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3855

I read a couple of time on different sites that EOS 6D is not giving one that "WOW" feeling.
I was called a fanboy, because I was happy with (whatever) Canon gear.
I do not care. It is just a fact, that Canon gear helped me more than any other to become and work as a fulltime (what does not mean that I do not have free time for further contracts) photographer.
No other manufacturer did this.

What I really do not understand is that the 6D is missing the wow-factor for somebody.
The biggest limitation I ever felt in any camera was low light capability. Since 50D that has gone. It and any body after where much more powerfull in low light, any (film) camera has been in the past.

6D tops them all in this case.
I understand there are many photographers who never go out in the dark. And when they take a flash with. For me using flashes is:
1. Necessity
2. Art
3. Not beeing able to shoot

If there is no "wow" in beeing able to shoot at lowest light ever and still getting convincing results I do not know, what "wow" should be.

Best AF of all is great. But if I can not use it, it is needless. "Mediocre" (crippled) AF - only 11 AF points instead of 50 or 61 might be great for sportts or wildlife. But it is needless for portrait or events if it does not support lowest light capabilities.

Imo 6D offers the highest "wow" factor of all offered (/announced) cameras. It gives me more than I was dreaming about the last decade. 1D X does not that much, 5D III does not, nor Nikon does.
About Sony, Pentax and others I must even not think.

Ralph

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3472

Weird thing is no one who has played with a 6d has been disappoint with the AF system have they?

I think its a solid entry level FF body.

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3490

Ralph, no worries being in the minority, my shooting style/subjects don't require the highest end gear, I'm no a paid pro shooter like yourself and also have enjoyed my Canon gear as it's evolved through the last 34+ years and will into the future.

I've no doubt Canon hasn't crippled the 6D's sensor and my AF needs aren't action based. I'll probably have one in April and will post whatever perfectly-crappy images it can produce

Jerry

Ralph Conway

me, too.
But I guess I can not wait till April.

Ralph

corndog
Total Posts: 4074

Starting a second thread to address the reaction from the first thread is probably not the best way to shake the fanboi stigma. Let's just wait and see how the professionals review the thing before deciding whether or not there is any 'wow' feeling.

Ralph Conway

RobDickinson wrote:
Weird thing is no one who has played with a 6d has been disappoint with the AF system have they?

I think its a solid entry level FF body.

I guess, I talked to 50 + Canon shooters having tested the 6D the last 6 days. Yes, nobody was disapointed, all where really fascinated. Nine sayd they do not need it. They already purchsed a 5D III. Six of them told me they would not have purchased one (5D III) if they would have known the 6D coming ...

David Baldwin
Total Posts: 2834

I quote from dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

"We've not spent enough time with the EOS 6D to fully get to grips with it yet, but there's little doubt that it looks like a highly-competent camera on paper. The addition of built-in Wi-Fi and GPS probably won't immediately grab traditionalists, but we can envisage all sorts of situations where they'll be useful, from geotagging your travel shots to remote-controlling your camera from your smartphone.

The elephant in the room, though, is the Nikon D600 - a camera that offers a higher spec in several key areas, with its 39-point AF system (including 9 cross-type), 100% viewfinder, 2016 pixel colour-sensitive metering, faster 5.5 fps shooting, dual card slots and excellent movie spec (including such things as clean HDMI output and a headphone socket for sound monitoring). In many areas the 6D just comes up slightly short in comparison, and the question is whether merely being highly competent will be enough to win the hearts and cash of buyers."

Ralph Conway

corndog wrote:
Starting a second thread to address the reaction from the first thread is probably not the best way to shake the fanboi stigma. Let's just wait and see how the professionals review the thing before deciding whether or not there is any 'wow' feeling.

Imo it is a diffrent content, corndog. The first one was just about my "hands on". And imo I am professional enought to decide if it is a "wow" feeling to me. And anyones fanboy stigma projected on me is nothing I deal with.

StillFingerz

Ralph Conway wrote:
me, too.
But I guess I can not wait till April.

Ralph

Budgets suck, otherwise I'd pre-order it, hopefully my wait will be rewarded with a lower price...and more L glass!

Love the fanboi talk...must we categorize/label to be happy, feel safe, feel superior...how Juvenal
I'm 55 still wear Levis, a Ron Jon tee and Vans tennis shoes cause they feel good; like Canon bodies and lenses do, get over yourself, I got your fanboi right here

Tom Dix
Total Posts: 1664

I appreciate your candor and insight. Most of the nay-sayers have no experience with the camera, and yours, by your admission, is somewhat limited, is an honest expression of your actual experience with the camera. I cannot ask for more.

Wow for many means most MP, prettiest bells and whistles, and build quality. I have felt for some time that the upper teens in MP and great DR, would be best for what I do, portraits, events and weddings.

Thanks for your honest OP Ralph.

Ralph Conway

@ stillfingerz:

- I am pretty sure in April it will be down for 100 or maybe even 200$.

chez
Total Posts: 7959

So when someone starts a thread to brings out some negative aspects of the 6d...they are labeled whiners. So is this thread for all the anti-whiners?

Ralph Conway

Thank you, Tom.

@ chez:
No, this thread is from me and for me.
I just do not understand why and how people do/can compare a new body from paper information without ever held it in hands with one 1500 $ more expensive and say it is crippled because it does not offer the same features or more, instead of comparing it to one, that is same price class and see the benefits to it.

chez
Total Posts: 7959

Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you, Tom.

@ chez:
I just do not understand why and how people do/can compare a new body with a 1500 $ more expensive one and say its crippled because it does not offer the same features or more, instead of comparing it to one that is same price class and see the benefits to it.

Like the D600. I've seen a lot of people compare it to the Nikon counterpart and feel the 6d is crippled in comparison. Me, I am not in the market for a camera that is basically like my 5d2. I want a higher resolution version of the 5d2 and that would make me content.

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3472

A D300 using friend held a D600 for 5-10 min yesterday and bought one. He was always considering a FF move but the d600's af responsiveness etc was more than a match for the d300.

Lets hope thats the case for the 60d-> 6d.

StillFingerz

Ralph Conway wrote:
@ stillfingerz:

- I am pretty sure in April it will be down for 100 or maybe even 200$.

Perhaps...77mm B&H Kaesemann CPL here I come

Ralph Conway

chez wrote:
Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you, Tom.

@ chez:
I just do not understand why and how people do/can compare a new body with a 1500 $ more expensive one and say its crippled because it does not offer the same features or more, instead of comparing it to one that is same price class and see the benefits to it.

Like the D600. I've seen a lot of people compare it to the Nikon counterpart and feel the 6d is crippled in comparison. Me, I am not in the market for a camera that is basically like my 5d2. I want a higher resolution version of the 5d2 and that would make me content.

You are not in the market for this camera, indeed. It does not offer, what you want. But that does not mean it is crippled. It means, it is not done for you. Like D600, 5D III, 1D X etc.

I would not say D 600 is crippled because it does not have D800s resolution or it does not fit my needs. It is just no camera I am interested in.

Imo 6D is not crippled compared to 5D III because it does not offer same AF system (or 7Ds). 7D is just last generation and 5D III is missing 6Ds AF capabilities. That does neither 7D or 5D III a bad camera, but just not the camera fitting MY needs.

StillFingerz

It's about the features you need vs. want...

For me, with lots of old FD manual glass, some alt glass in the future, the interchangeable focus screens of the 6D make it the vehicle into FF for me, the WiFi and smartphone control as well; I was looking seriously at the 5D3, but without IFSs it does me little good; and I've not the budget for a 1DX

So for some the low end "crippled" body might work even with it's extra features

PetKal
Total Posts: 24361

Ralphie, 6D has had a triple "wow" factor for me:

The first "wow" was when I saw that supersensitive -3 EV center sensor.
The second "wow" was caused by the camera price $2,100.
The third "wow" was in reaction to some people implying that the camera was priced cheaply.

cordellwillis
Total Posts: 5080

WOW factor...here we go again.

I guess folks just don't have anything to shoot these days

2       3              7       8       end