This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer
/forum/topic/1151249/0

2       3       end

friscoron
Total Posts: 5394

Okay... maybe it was completely inspired by his shot of the couple, trees to the left, was there a streetlight above them to the right? I don't know, but I've been waiting six months to get this shot.

morganb4
Total Posts: 5313

faaaark thats a good pic

mikethevilla
Total Posts: 2593

Sorry folks, but we've GOT to move on from this.

If I ever end up shooting on that one day of the year it rains out here, you can bet your butt I'll backlight the crap out of that rain as well, but please, please, please at least try to mix it up a little from Tony's shot. Add something else, pull your own twist, do something....

DavidM5
Total Posts: 524

Good job Ron!!

amonline
Total Posts: 6948

mikethevilla wrote:

If I ever end up shooting on that one day of the year it rains out here, you can bet your butt I'll backlight the crap out of that rain as well, but please, please, please at least try to mix it up a little from Tony's shot. Add something else, pull your own twist, do something....

No kiddin'.

friscoron

mikethevilla wrote:

Mike,

I appreciate what you're saying... but for some of us, we need to get the shot first before we move on and do something unique. It's like just because Tony's a grad student and has his thesis published, the rest of us should just skip high school and college and go straight to a dissertation?

No, I don't think so. I'm pretty happy to have done this even if it wasn't my unique idea. No need to rain on my party. I had plenty of that at the wedding I shot on Friday, from which I got this shot.

However, I am looking forward to seeing what doctorate twist you put on Tony's thesis.

Ron

friscoron

Thanks, David and Morgan!

amonline

Don't they flunk kids for plagiarism?

friscoron

Last I checked, it's not plagiarism when you reference the source.

amonline

I'm sorry, I meant copy cat.

jneilosu
Total Posts: 795

Tony is a brilliant guy. That being said, about 90% of the stuff posted on this forum is copy-cat, but it always seems to be this shot that gets called out.

The couple will love you. They will never have seen anything like this.

The biggest mistake you made was sharing it here. It's well done, but unfortunately all the forum will see is indeed a copycat.

There is rarely a set posted here that doesn't have obvious source influence within it, but by posting 1 shot and referencing Hoffer in the post, you've called in the sharks.

jprezant
Total Posts: 8190

ythe problem is that the shot has been done ... a few times ... really well. And this
doesn't stack up against those. So it's judged harshly. But everything josh is true.

It will be super cool to the couple

WNStudio
Total Posts: 1153

You just can't loose with a photo like that- as being said the couple will love that. Don't wait to use that backlightning technique. I do it at almost every session nowadays and in all the different conditions. Actually it gives very good results with a minimum problems to set the shot up. This shot was taken in broad daylight in an old shooting range (phottix strato triggers, flash on manual settings).

Feel free to remove this comment if you find it off topic or that it doesn't belong here.

sherijohnson
Total Posts: 3639

well executed, you should be proud to have achieved this, I know you are I think that umbrella did a good job or spreading the light to their faces or did you also add frontal light?

Mitch W
Total Posts: 2883

WNStudio wrote:
You just can't loose with a photo like that- as being said the couple will love that. Don't wait to use that backlightning technique. I do it at almost every session nowadays and in all the different conditions. Actually it gives very good results with a minimum problems to set the shot up. This shot was taken in broad daylight in an old shooting range (phottix strato triggers, flash on manual settings).

Feel free to remove this comment if you find it off topic or that it doesn't belong here.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I think there's a time and place for in your face lighting like this... but I'd argue that a quiet moment on serene, country trail in broad daylight isn't necessarily one of them.

WNStudio
Total Posts: 1153

This is just an example. Don't wanna argue over it. That works for me, and I think you can add extra value to a photo, by something that simple like placing a single flash behind your object. Another example:

friscoron

sherijohnson wrote:
well executed, you should be proud to have achieved this, I know you are I think that umbrella did a good job or spreading the light to their faces or did you also add frontal light?

That's actually my shoot-through umbrella they're holding, and it does a great job of reflecting the light back down on their faces. Thanks for your comment, Sheri!
Ron

friscoron

mikethevilla wrote:

I guess what really puts me off about this is the "people" comment. Okay, maybe it'd be beneath them, but if Doug or Chuck or Spencer posted this shot, would they be called out on it? There would be jokes about Chuck being a Tony protege, or something to that effect. But I'm not part of the in crowd here, so I'm a "people" and I shouldn't be posting a copycat image.

But really then, if you think about it, aren't we doing the same thing over and over and over again when you guys post your wedding series?

Mike, I challenge you not to post another wedding until it's truly unique, something you've come up with, none of this "getting ready" nonsense, none of the typical wedding ceremonies, none of this "first dance" drivel. And no more engagement shots unless you know the shots have never ever been done before. Like, ever. (Oops, sorry Taylor)

Lighten up.

friscoron

WNStudio wrote:

No worries, Wojtek. I appreciate your response. I do back-lighting quite frequently. Just hadn't had the opportunity to do it with a B&G in the rain until this past weekend.

martinezphoto
Total Posts: 874

friscoron wrote:

This is exceptionally well done! Composition, light, processing - perfection.

2       3       end