Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/91

1       2       3              91      
       end

juju1958
Total Posts: 712

brendans wrote:
juju1958 wrote:

I also dislike the fill light in SSP when it give a HDR look so if anything I'll give it negative fill light and compensate the softening with a touch of sharpening.

I'm a fellow fill light hater (usually). I've recently wondered if, like sharpening, the default 0 fill light is actually not zero fill light. Taking it down to -.1 or -.2 usually looks a lot more natural (at least for color).

The fill light to me is odd, almost if not totally an HDR tool. When you give it a positive it lowers the highlights and lightens the shadows as you would in a HDR scenario. Often a negative fill although it can blow the highlights does give an improved quality of perceived light.I am sure anyone who is good at using Photoshop could export various soft and hard fill light images from SSP and blend them to achieve the best of both worlds. I do not have that knowledge to do that though

mstout
Total Posts: 169

Shout out to Juju1958- I had totally forgotten about the selective color adjustment layer, I think there was a similar tool in the first version of PS Elements I used several years ago that was cruder and not available as layer adjustment. So I never gave it a chance with my more current (CS4). Today started playing around with it on a file which has given me fits and am much happier with the result. Hopefully will get better with practice. Thanks again.

juju1958

mstout wrote:
Shout out to Juju1958- I had totally forgotten about the selective color adjustment layer, I think there was a similar tool in the first version of PS Elements I used several years ago that was cruder and not available as layer adjustment. So I never gave it a chance with my more current (CS4). Today started playing around with it on a file which has given me fits and am much happier with the result. Hopefully will get better with practice. Thanks again.

Yes I use it a lot, every image , far more than Hue and saturation for managing colour. It can also be used to help contrast on local colour rather then global adjustment which will only enhance all the negatives or positives. I think working across an image in local areas using the lasso is a good way to work. A little more time yes but it is suprising how quick it becomes.

Grahamc
Total Posts: 201

Some from my DP2 and DP3

juju1958

_P2M3202 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

edwinIII
Total Posts: 247

1       2       3              91      
       end